IS THIS REAL!!!!

Started by Tradteen, November 19, 2021, 02:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tradteen

IS THIS REAL OR A MYTH!!
In the medieval catholic church, nuns would sometimes request to be bricked in for a time (decades were not unusual) with a young child under the age of 10. Such children could be orphans, but often were "gifts" from their parents to the Church. The idea was that the child would serve as a symbol of innocence and purity as well as a companion to the willingly immured.

The nun and her "companion" would receive food through a small slit in the bricked up wall, but they would never, ever go outside the enclosed chamber.

Michael Wilson

Anchorites being bricked in for years or until the end of their lives is true. The second part isn't.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Melkor

Quote from: Tradteen on November 19, 2021, 02:22:06 AM
IS THIS REAL OR A MYTH!!
In the medieval catholic church, nuns would sometimes request to be bricked in for a time (decades were not unusual) with a young child under the age of 10. Such children could be orphans, but often were "gifts" from their parents to the Church. The idea was that the child would serve as a symbol of innocence and purity as well as a companion to the willingly immured.

The nun and her "companion" would receive food through a small slit in the bricked up wall, but they would never, ever go outside the enclosed chamber.

Lol get off social media and read some books on the lives of the Saints. Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Blessed-Margaret-Castello-1287-1320/dp/0895552132
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

MaximGun

Like us they felt hemmed in by Masonry.

Prayerful

There are SSPX and other worthy groups, but the history ones tend to be junk full of people banging on with pet theories. Any Egyptian history group will have blacks claiming the pharaohs were black (one late dynasty was Nubian, but the mummies of the great pharaohs were patently not black) and Roman ones will be full of uncritically repeated anti-Catholic myths, and generally full of people with a lack of reading comprehension. Nuance is pointless there. I have an empty FB so I can use groups. People wish me happy birthday as I have my date of birth there, but not the year. 
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Christina_S

"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

drummerboy

I believe the famous writer of the Cloud of Unknowing, Julian of Norwich, was one such anchoress.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Miriam_M