Cell Phones

Started by poche, February 11, 2013, 12:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poche

I have never had a cell phone. What should I do if I want one?

Francisco Suárez

Find the best deal you can, of course.  ;D

poche

Quote from: Francisco Suárez on February 11, 2013, 01:52:34 AM
Do you have any recommendatioins of what to look out for?

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: poche on February 11, 2013, 02:26:23 AM
Quote from: Francisco Suárez on February 11, 2013, 01:52:34 AM
Do you have any recommendatioins of what to look out for?

There are two things:

* Hardware
* Service

So, start with either, but you should first determine what you want.

For hardware:

* Do you want it to mostly make phone calls?
* Do you want a physical keyboard, a typical phone key pad, or no keys at all?
* Do you plan on using it as a camera or camcorder?
* Do you intend to use it for a particular purpose which requires particular applications or abilities?

For the service:

* How many minutes do you intend to use a month?
* Are you going to make international calls?
* How many text messages do you intend to make/receive?
* What is the coverage in your area?

Getting the phone hardware which meets your requirements for the best price, and the service which is the best price, requires one to think about it, but one will be happier.

I think, for simplicity, the best thing is to get a general idea of what one wants, and then see what is available in your area.

Despite my technical abilities, my phone was only $50, and I pay $35 a month for unlimited data and text, and more minutes than I can use, and I have no contract.

BierKaiser

Quote from: poche on February 11, 2013, 12:43:23 AM
I have never had a cell phone. What should I do if I want one?

Make sure the service provider has good coverage, some are much better than others.  If you go with a discount provider, check to see who provides their coverage (for example Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network).

...and don't get suckered into the most expensive/newest phone without good reason.  ;D

Bonaventure

Don't get a dumb phone. Get a smart phone.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Elliott

If it were me getting my first cell phone I would go with a prepaid phone. Cell phone contracts are a hassle and I don't like being locked into a provider. If you are dissatisfied with your service it gets expensive to cancel your plan early. If you live and travel where there is good signal coverage by the prepaid company your interested in you should be ok. I would stay away from tracfone.

voxxpopulisuxx

Tmobile has always been the best price and service for my family. But for just one phone im not sure....
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.