Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

End of season 2 of "Ripper Street".
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

red solo cup

Quote from: martin88nyc on November 05, 2017, 10:47:31 AM
End of season 2 of "Ripper Street".
A pretty good show. The way they talk reminds me of Deadwood.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

ÆneasQuébécois

"True evangelical faith...cannot lay dormant; but manifests itself in all righteousness and works of love; it...clothes the naked; feeds the hungry; consoles the afflicted; shelters the miserable; aids and consoles all the oppressed; returns good for evil; serves those that injure it; prays for those that persecute it." ~ Menno Simons

Jacob

"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Clare

Got my daughter The Hunger Games books and dvds for Christmas. She's now read the books twice already, and we saw the films this week.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

PerEvangelicaDicta

The Last Jedi, last night, for the second time with a family member who had not yet seen it and wanted someone to go with.  It wasn't all that the first time, but I love my family lol
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Jacob

I watched The Apostle, written, directed, and starring Robert Duvall, a few days ago.  I've seen it a few times before, including in the theater when it first came out.  It was very good and Robert should have gotten the Oscar that year (well, either Robert or Peter Fonda who was equally outstanding in Ulee's Gold).
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Daniel

I've spent a few weeks re-watching Star Wars episodes I through VI, and I must disagree with the majority opinion.
Episodes I, II, and III were not nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be. In fact, I would say that episodes II and III are the best of the 6. They're brilliant... it's like the Brutus story, but without Caesar. The ending of episode III could have been better executed though (the whole transition from Republic to Empire seemed a bit rushed), but overall it was great.
I do agree that episode I had its weak points. It did seem to take on a slower pace than the other movies, and that ending had way too much stuff going on at once (making it difficult to follow). But against the consenus, I actually loved the podracing, and the midichlorions, and even Jar Jar Binks. (Why does everyone hate him? He's hilarious, and not nearly as annoying as those Ewoks/teddy bears from from episode VI...)
So if I were to sort all the movies from best to worst, I'd have to say: (II and III), IV, I, and then (V and VI).
(Episodes VII and VIII were just bad. Entertaining, but bad.)

Maximilian

Quote from: Jacob on January 17, 2018, 06:47:42 PM
I watched The Apostle, written, directed, and starring Robert Duvall, a few days ago.  I've seen it a few times before, including in the theater when it first came out.  It was very good and Robert should have gotten the Oscar that year (well, either Robert or Peter Fonda who was equally outstanding in Ulee's Gold).

One of my favorite movies.

Jacob

Quote from: Maximilian on January 18, 2018, 11:26:33 AM
Quote from: Jacob on January 17, 2018, 06:47:42 PM

One of my favorite movies.

I tried to watch Tender Mercies, but the DVD I got from Netflix didn't have closed captions.  Ugh.

Regarding Star Wars:

Quote(II and III), IV, I, and then (V and VI).

I don't do the numbers that well, so let me work this out...

AotC / RotS
ANH
Phantom
Empire / Jedi

What about Empire led you to put it at the bottom?
--Neal Stephenson

Maximilian

Quote from: Jacob on January 18, 2018, 12:23:15 PM

I tried to watch Tender Mercies, but the DVD I got from Netflix didn't have closed captions.  Ugh.

Another really great movie.

You can watch it on Amazon for $1.99, and they say it has closed captioning.

https://www.amazon.com/Tender-Mercies-Allan-Hubbard/dp/B002BX578E/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1516304253&sr=1-1&keywords=tender+mercies

Maximilian

Quote from: Daniel on January 18, 2018, 11:20:51 AM

Episodes I, II, and III were not nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

I. I actually enjoyed the movie that had Jar-Jar Binks. I felt like you got your money's worth with a saga that spanned the galaxies.

II. The only thing I remember about this movie was Natalie Portman's wedding dress. The teenage girls that I saw it with went for that reason, and it was beautiful, but nothing else from the movie is memorable enough to stand out in my recollection.

III. I felt like I was being physically assaulted. The volume was turned up so high, and the action was disorienting like being on a roller coaster. The only other thing that I recall is that Samuel L Jackson's acting was so bad that it set a new standard for the worst acting ever caught on film. While that might seem like a trivial point, to me it invalidated the series as serious drama. Watching the worst acting in history during the quiet moments, and then being beat over the head with a painful assault during the rest of the movie made me decide never to put myself through that experience again.

Daniel

Quote from: Jacob on January 18, 2018, 12:23:15 PM
I don't do the numbers that well, so let me work this out...

AotC / RotS
ANH
Phantom
Empire / Jedi

What about Empire led you to put it at the bottom?
No particular reason, apart from the fact that overall I just didn't enjoy it as much as the other ones. (I like to group it together with Jedi because it's basically one story split in half. Same for AotC and RotS. It's hard to evaluate Empire on its own, apart from Jedi.)
I did like the Vader conversion / self-sacrifice thing at the end of Jedi, but I think George Lucas should have taken it further. The way it came across, at least in my opinion, seemed a bit shallow.

Jacob

I was there at midnight when Phantom first opened.  I went to see Attack, but not on opening day.  As for Sith, I didn't even bother to go see it.  That's how little I thought of the prequels up to that point.  I only saw Sith years later on TV.

Phantom after seeing it on TV over the years has grown on me despite its flaws.  Attack has never really done the same.  And Sith is okay for what it is, but it is still disappointing.

Is there anyone else here who saw Attack of the Clones in the theater when it was first released?  I have a question for you.
--Neal Stephenson

Daniel

Quote from: Jacob on January 18, 2018, 06:34:25 PM
Is there anyone else here who saw Attack of the Clones in the theater when it was first released?  I have a question for you.
I'm sure I did, but I can't recall the details (I was in middle school at the time).