Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

In an attempt to see as many of the movies nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars as possible, my wife and I saw both Zero Dark Thirty and Silver Linings Playbook recently.

The former was good, but not worthy of the nomination in my opinion, and the second was mostly a romantic comedy (and thus I didn't care for it all that much, though De Niro was pretty awesome in it).
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Quo Vadis

Since Christ Himself has said, "This is My Body" who shall dare to doubt that It is His Body?
-- St Cyril of Jerusalem

tmw89

Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

BierKaiser

Star Trek, the 2009 movie on BluRay.

Anastasia

The Bourne Legacy. Boy, was that disappointing!
People talk vaguely about the innocence of a little child, but they take mighty good care not to let it out of their sight for twenty minutes.-Saki.
"Meanwhile, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing glove. "
— P.G. Wodehouse

Archer

Quote from: Anastasia on February 02, 2013, 11:18:09 AM

I liked Jeremy Renner, but the rest of the movie left a lot to be desired. Especially the climax at the end with the bad guy. No hand to hand combat just one extremely drawn out bike chase? Serious let down.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Anastasia

Quote from: Archer on February 02, 2013, 02:12:46 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 02, 2013, 11:18:09 AM

I liked Jeremy Renner, but the rest of the movie left a lot to be desired. Especially the climax at the end with the bad guy. No hand to hand combat just one extremely drawn out bike chase? Serious let down.
I know, they didnt even develop the bad guy at all really, just threw him in for the last half hour with no explanation of who he was, why he was so special, anything. It wasnt really a Bourne movie, first of all. The minute they did the magic pill makes him a supersoldier routine, we were in comic book movie territory. It wouldve made more sense to just make it a Hawkeye movie, honestly.
People talk vaguely about the innocence of a little child, but they take mighty good care not to let it out of their sight for twenty minutes.-Saki.
"Meanwhile, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing glove. "
— P.G. Wodehouse

Ben

I agree about the ending. Pretty lame.

I liked the beginning of that movie, when he was in the wilderness.

Bonaventure

I really liked Ultimatum. Nobody else?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Penelope

My fiance and I just watched Ruby Sparks. It was really, really excellent.

Hat And Beard

Went to a wedding in the middle of nowhere during a snowstorm and had to crash with a friend an hour from home. Watched this and I really liked it(perfect movie to watch in a snowstorm). I'm glad I watched it alone because I strangely identified with Peter sellers.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Mithrandylan

Quote from: Heinrich on February 03, 2013, 08:55:36 AM
Good Will Hunting

One of the all time greats, though there's a few crude instances I rather fast forward.

Can't think of many movies that capture the "feel-good" movie without being saturated in cheese.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Heinrich

Quote from: Mithrandylan on February 03, 2013, 08:56:47 AM
Good Will Hunting

One of the all time greats, though there's a few crude instances I rather fast forward.

Can't think of many movies that capture the "feel-good" movie without being saturated in cheese.

I can't tell you how much I agree with this post. I like to think that I am able to succinctly capture the essence of this fantastic film, but there is so much there. Robin Williams is great in his dramatic role, but his talents as comedian shine through in a few places. The three heroes of the film are definitely good will hunting.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Quo Vadis

Quote from: Mithrandylan on February 03, 2013, 08:56:47 AM
Good Will Hunting

What are the natures of the crude scenes?  Are they the reason for the R rating?  Thanks.
Since Christ Himself has said, "This is My Body" who shall dare to doubt that It is His Body?
-- St Cyril of Jerusalem