Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

Quote from: Graham on January 25, 2020, 05:00:14 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on January 25, 2020, 04:49:56 PM
Quote from: Graham on January 25, 2020, 12:40:16 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on January 25, 2020, 10:05:31 AM
Good take by that Cheeky Coot, Derbyshire:

https://www.unz.com/jderbyshire/america-catches-coronavirus-panic/

This take is dead wrong. Potential pandemics are a kind of risk that's vastly ameliorated by public concern and swift action. Being beaten by a Chinese prison guard may currently be causing more deaths, but it's a health risk that doesnt have the potential to spread geometrically across the globe in a matter of months. Comparing the two makes him look dumb.

Maybe you should write for Unz.com.

Ron Unz has turned down people far smarter than me. Do you remember the poster Man of the West on CathInfo? He comments prolifically on Unz under the name Intelligent Dasein, and has been turned down multiple times. He's brilliant, original, and a tremendously good writer. I dont exactly know what kind of stable Ron has built but ive noticed it generally excludes those qualities

"Dasein" is German existence or being. With a name like that, he has to be good.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

christulsa

Tales

Yes, I've been in China since 2009.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Tales

I think that was just how they took selfies in the dinosaur age.

diaduit

tin foil hat for the heck of it :)

its a dummy run for the real population cull
generate a vaccine to make billionaires trillionaires
cause a frenzy for the population to get brainwashed that the state is our saviour

any others?

On a side note, David, I had that flu over Christmas and still have remnants, an itch which shows up on hands and feet, mouth, crevices such as corner of the eye, nostril fold etc .  I'll pray for your family today at mass and I am asking Our Lady of China (I'm guessing there is a title) .

Lynne

Quote from: martin88nyc on January 25, 2020, 04:06:46 PM
Quote from: Lynne on January 25, 2020, 02:24:32 PM
Research homeopathic meds which had success with the Spanish flu. It is interesting that the FDA is thinking about restricting them. No coincidence there...

Lynn do you use homeopathy?  I thought it was "evil" after finding out who is the father of this medicine. A traditional British Web Store sell homeopathic and there is a lady online who wrote lots about doctors who treated popes with homeopathic medicine. I don;t know what to think about it anymore.

There's a Catholic woman who is a homeopath. She's not new-agey or anything. Here's her website...

https://joettecalabrese.com/

I have found it to be very helpful.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Tales

QuoteOn a side note, David, I had that flu over Christmas and still have remnants, an itch which shows up on hands and feet, mouth, crevices such as corner of the eye, nostril fold etc .  I'll pray for your family today at mass and I am asking Our Lady of China (I'm guessing there is a title) .

Diaduit,

Indeed there is.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_China

Thank you for your prayers.  I am glad that you continue to recover - it sounded very frightening.  I think there were abnormally severe viruses this winter.

Tales

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3047720/chinese-premier-li-keqiang-head-coronavirus-crisis-team-outbreak

QuoteWang Jiangping, China's vice-minister of industry and information technology, said China had the capacity to produce a maximum of 30,000 protective outfits per day, but that was less than a third of what was needed in Hubei.

The government was working to acquire the 50,000 protective jackets China produces for export every day to send to Hubei, he said.

You can expect a worldwide shortage of medical protective gear if this drags on.  As I noted before n95 is already on backorder on Amazon.  If anyone is concerned that this will be a new Spanish Flu then I recommend taking a proactive step in case supplies are very limited later.  Of course if nothing comes of this all then maybe you'll be stuck with a bunch of unnecessary masks.

Doctors say that transmission is through nose, mouth and eyes.  So consider wrap around glasses if you feel that you are in an infected area.  The virus incubation period is 14 days and, unlike SARS, it is contagious from day 1.  In other words, there are carriers walking around infecting everyone else for 2 weeks before their first symptoms show.  Given this and the immense response of China (they've basically declared a nationwide emergency that has never been seen before), I think this is shaping up to be a global problem.  Thus far the deaths seem to be mostly in the age 40+ range [primarily elderly], but there is not really enough data yet.

My prediction: in about 2-4 weeks there will be a rapid increase in cases in places like America [east & west coast, Chicago, Detroit], Europe, Canada, Australia & Japan (the places Chinese tourists just flew to a couple days ago).

christulsa

Let me know Davis if I can source you some boxes of Kleenex.  They're on sale here in T-town at Aldis.   :patriot:  May not get there until mid February just so you knows.  Any locals here can join me to bug out to a cave of undisclosed location out by Clear Creek monastery (that part is no joke) when this pandemic sweeps across the US.   :P :)

Heinrich

"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Heinrich

james03

Remember the number one data point: mortality rate.  Currently at around 5%, which is promising.

This crap is contagious and it got out.  We are now at 5 cases in the US.  Trump really needs to shut down air traffic to China, but that won't happen for awhile.

It's definitely in the U.S.  You might start base loading with zinc and selenium right now.  Cold-eze or the generic variant are a good source of bio-available zinc.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

christulsa

I think we're going to be alright.  Judging from the loads of food buckets we unloaded for G from his moving van, the fact the local Filipino guy in charge of mailing balikbayan boxes (big boxes you load with American food, etc to send cheap to the Philippines) full of canned goods is in cognito, and 03's surplus of fine wine behind his sandwich board, I think we'll survive.  At least in Oklahoma.

In all seriousness, question:  can we make our own masks to protect us from this virus?    The odds at this point are so low I'm still skeptical of the seriousness of it, but if the Great Chastisement arrives in a few weeks, very few will have those masks or access to them.