Lonely

Started by Warwick, September 01, 2018, 05:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warwick

Hello everyone Im a convert, New to the Catholic  faith. I was confirmed  last year. I love Medieval history abd nature. Ive just been very lonely  and sad and I wanted to reach out to you all. I tell  myself  to go to the social after mass seems but i never  go Im shy, been a vicious cycle. Hope you all are doing well.

The Curt Jester

If you have problems with shyness, start singing and then join a choir.  That'll help!
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

MilesChristi

Quote from: Warwick on September 01, 2018, 05:49:53 PM
Hello everyone Im a convert, New to the Catholic  faith. I was confirmed  last year. I love Medieval history abd nature. Ive just been very lonely  and sad and I wanted to reach out to you all. I tell  myself  to go to the social after mass seems but i never  go Im shy, been a vicious cycle. Hope you all are doing well.

It's seems you know the solution. You are the only person standing in your way.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

drummerboy

Go find a martial art or boxing gym; that'll help with shyness, boost your confidence and get you in good shape all at the same time, besides giving you some useful self-defense skills and man points.

I know from experience  ;)
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Matto

Do you get lonely? There are lots of ways to combat loneliness. I get lonely sometimes, perhaps because I am not married (but then again married people get lonely also). Three weeks ago I was feeling very lonely. So I started writing an absurd fantasy story about a marriage in my free time. I have about thirty seven pages so far and it is more than halfway finished. I hope to finish it one day. Thinking about things and putting my thoughts down in the computer has made me feel better. Maybe you could write a story about chivalry. I don't think I am a very talented writer and I don't know if my story is any good, but is has been very therapeutic for me as a hobby. Just a suggestion. I also find that watching sad films and tragedies makes me feel less lonely. I remember one time when I was lonely because I knew I would probably never see a girl I had a crush on ever again, I played the Van Halen song "Jamie's Crying" a bunch of times in a row. Her name was Jamie. That helped. And of course you could also do the obvious and go to the social after Church and meet people in real life but that can be very difficult if you are shy and introverted. I know what it is like to be afraid of social interaction, especially with women. I know the social element of talking to similar people on the internet is one of the reasons I post on forums.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

Warwick

Quote from: MilesChristi on September 01, 2018, 06:29:16 PM
Quote from: Warwick on September 01, 2018, 05:49:53 PM

It's seems you know the solution. You are the only person standing in your way.
I guess youre right, x i habent even  been going to confession. I guess i sjoukd get a handke on thos in case  o die bow and go to hell. Being  lonely sucks but its better then hell. Thsnk you all for the posts, hope to fet to them later

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

PerEvangelicaDicta

It's good you are here, friend.  I'm told the majority of trads are introverts, so you are in good company here.

Medieval history, eh?  ( my spouse is Canadian  :P  )   Forum member "The Harlequin King" is our resident expert. Search his postings.   Here is his blog:
http://modernmedievalism.blogspot.com/

Also, here in the  'Coffee Pot' threads is a lot of light hearted banter conductive to brotherhood.  You're not alone, my friend.  We are your family.  You are part of the magnificent Catholic Church of Our Savior, His Body.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Bonaventure

I love medieval history and nature too. I'm naturally an introvert. You are the only person who can change your situation. People aren't gonna show up at your door like a pizza man wanting to be friends. You have to go out and find them. Change your reality, and find similar minded people. Forums like ours can help. 
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Greg

Offer to give a talk on medieval Catholic customs and explain the difference between the popular Hollywood inspired myths about them and the reality.  Trial by ordeal, ducking stool, burning witches, jousting, etc.  Post it on the noticeboard (with priest permission) and hold it in the after mass social after it has finished (about 60-90 mins after mass ends or whatever it is).  Bring scones, clotted cream, cake and very high quality tea and coffee (free for those who attend) and ask them to register their interest so you can gauge numbers.  Either putting their names on the poster, or, emailing you.

You'll get about 5-10 people (with the bribe of free high quality grub). Will cost you about $40 in food (peanuts compared to the value to you).

This is a no lose proposition.  It ONLY has upside for you.

1.  You're unlikely to screw it up, or be boring, because it is a subject close to your heart.  Generally when you speaking about anything you are passionate about you are going to be interesting to a listener.  You can and should test your ideas here with the forum first as we are a critical audience.

2.  At least half a dozen people will then know who you are as a result of the talk and them they will be inclined to introduce you to sisters, brothers, girlfriends, daughters etc.  People introduce people they "know".

3.  If a single woman does turn up to your talk it either means she's really interested in Medieval History or she likes you.  There's no downside here.

Summary, takes no super personality to do this.  You need to prepare, work out what to cover and not to cover and handle questions.  You will probably enjoy it.  The kind of people who attend are likely to find they enjoy your company, they will then network you in to their networks.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Jayne

Quote from: Warwick on September 01, 2018, 05:49:53 PMI tell  myself  to go to the social after mass seems but i never go...

Certain personality types do not do well with the social after Mass.  I'm like that too.  I just feel horribly awkward and uncomfortable in situations in which one needs to make small talk with strangers, even though I'm perfectly fine giving a speech before a large group.

Figure out what situations do work for you, rather than forcing yourself into ones that don't.  You might do better in a small, task-oriented group. Choir, as already mentioned, is one example, but your parish may have other possibilities in this category.  There might be a cleaning crew, fund-raising group, or charitable activities.  You could even volunteer to help with the work for the social after Mass (wiping tables, stacking chairs, etc.).  Then you would have something to do instead of standing around feeling uncomfortable.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Warwick

Quote from: Jayne on September 02, 2018, 08:51:25 AM
Quote from: Warwick on September 01, 2018, 05:49:53 PMI tell  myself  to go to the social after mass seems but i never go...

Certain personality types do not do well with the social after Mass.  I'm like that too.  I just feel horribly awkward and uncomfortable in situations in which one needs to make small talk with strangers, even though I'm perfectly fine giving a speech before a large group.

Figure out what situations do work for you, rather than forcing yourself into ones that don't.  You might do better in a small, task-oriented group. Choir, as already mentioned, is one example, but your parish may have other possibilities in this category.  There might be a cleaning crew, fund-raising group, or charitable activities.  You could even volunteer to help with the work for the social after Mass (wiping tables, stacking chairs, etc.).  Then you would have something to do instead of standing around feeling uncomfortable.
Thank you that is very helpful. My Godmother will be back, not before too long and would be a great advocate for me and help introduce me.

Warwick

Quote from: Greg on September 02, 2018, 05:02:59 AM
Offer to give a talk on medieval Catholic customs and explain the difference between the popular Hollywood inspired myths about them and the reality.  Trial by ordeal, ducking stool, burning witches, jousting, etc.  Post it on the noticeboard (with priest permission) and hold it in the after mass social after it has finished (about 60-90 mins after mass ends or whatever it is).  Bring scones, clotted cream, cake and very high quality tea and coffee (free for those who attend) and ask them to register their interest so you can gauge numbers.  Either putting their names on the poster, or, emailing you.

You'll get about 5-10 people (with the bribe of free high quality grub). Will cost you about $40 in food (peanuts compared to the value to you).

This is a no lose proposition.  It ONLY has upside for you.

1.  You're unlikely to screw it up, or be boring, because it is a subject close to your heart.  Generally when you speaking about anything you are passionate about you are going to be interesting to a listener.  You can and should test your ideas here with the forum first as we are a critical audience.

2.  At least half a dozen people will then know who you are as a result of the talk and them they will be inclined to introduce you to sisters, brothers, girlfriends, daughters etc.  People introduce people they "know".

3.  If a single woman does turn up to your talk it either means she's really interested in Medieval History or she likes you.  There's no downside here.

Summary, takes no super personality to do this.  You need to prepare, work out what to cover and not to cover and handle questions.  You will probably enjoy it.  The kind of people who attend are likely to find they enjoy your company, they will then network you in to their networks.
Thank you that is a great idea, definitely something i would want to build up to but is definitly possible and would likt to say my situation is improving

Warwick

Quote from: Bonaventure on September 02, 2018, 04:02:45 AM
I love medieval history and nature too. I'm naturally an introvert. You are the only person who can change your situation. People aren't gonna show up at your door like a pizza man wanting to be friends. You have to go out and find them. Change your reality, and find similar minded people. Forums like ours can help.
Thats awesome, yeah this forum is definitely a stepping stone for me, and seems like its helping become more out going. Seems like I shut down going out a lot, cause its hard to find people like me, Medievalist Catholics. But I wont met any if i dont try.

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on September 01, 2018, 11:07:16 PM
It's good you are here, friend.  I'm told the majority of trads are introverts, so you are in good company here.

Medieval history, eh?  ( my spouse is Canadian  :P  )   Forum member "The Harlequin King" is our resident expert. Search his postings.   Here is his blog:
http://modernmedievalism.blogspot.com/

Also, here in the  'Coffee Pot' threads is a lot of light hearted banter conductive to brotherhood.  You're not alone, my friend.  We are your family.  You are part of the magnificent Catholic Church of Our Savior, His Body.

I really appreciate that, thats great and I am familiar with him and have read his stuff its interesting.   Yea, my focus is Chivalry and Medieval warfare but I love liturgy, the art, music culture etc.  That really means a lot and I could use light hearted right now.

Quote from: Matto on September 01, 2018, 06:50:54 PM
Do you get lonely? There are lots of ways to combat loneliness. I get lonely sometimes, perhaps because I am not married (but then again married people get lonely also). Three weeks ago I was feeling very lonely. So I started writing an absurd fantasy story about a marriage in my free time. I have about thirty seven pages so far and it is more than halfway finished. I hope to finish it one day. Thinking about things and putting my thoughts down in the computer has made me feel better. Maybe you could write a story about chivalry. I don't think I am a very talented writer and I don't know if my story is any good, but is has been very therapeutic for me as a hobby. Just a suggestion. I also find that watching sad films and tragedies makes me feel less lonely. I remember one time when I was lonely because I knew I would probably never see a girl I had a crush on ever again, I played the Van Halen song "Jamie's Crying" a bunch of times in a row. Her name was Jamie. That helped. And of course you could also do the obvious and go to the social after Church and meet people in real life but that can be very difficult if you are shy and introverted. I know what it is like to be afraid of social interaction, especially with women. I know the social element of talking to similar people on the internet is one of the reasons I post on forums.
Very, I am writing a Chivalric Romance as a personal project, not sure about publishing but its helped me out a ton and helps give my life puropse, if its consultation, i just had my heart broken, I was deeply in love with this girl and we have been together for months and she dumped me out of no where. I was pondering marriage one day with her. I am Catholic and she is Atheist, but she never ever pushed me to do something against my religion. As devastating as its been, now that im single, its giving greater motivation to meet people. While her being Atheist didn't cause issues while were together, it definitely does now shes with someone else. I might as while say it, there fornicating and im here sad and alone trying to get over her. Had she been one that wanted to wait awhile to have sex, this im sure would of been a lot easier to deal with... But its fine, its over now, again its motivate me to get on this site and to meet people more like minded to me, so i can avoid such a devastating thing to happen again. Maybe it was destiny.

Michael Wilson

Warwick:
re. The atheist Witch: "Good riddance"! You will bless the day she left you.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers