Favorite Chesterton Quotes.

Started by Melkor, April 19, 2021, 08:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melkor

Love that one clau!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Melkor

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."

G.K. Chesterton

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Christe Eleison

Quote from: clau clau on October 21, 2021, 05:46:26 AM

Dear CLAU CLAU!
I really love the picture/quote that you posted! :thumbsup: Thank you for sharing it with us! :toth: It is truly lovely!

God bless!

Innocent Smith

Quote from: Melkor on October 26, 2021, 07:49:19 AM
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."

G.K. Chesterton
And having said that, there is no real need to discuss politics any further.  Trying to understand the other side is a complete time waster.  Because it is merely an exercise in trying to understand irrationality. 
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Santantonio

"What I meant, whether or no I managed to say it, was this; that no man knows how much he is an optimist, even when he calls himself a pessimist, because he has not really measured the depths of his debt to whatever created him and enabled him to call himself anything. At the back of our brains, so to speak, there was a forgotten blaze or burst of astonishment at our own existence. The object of the artistic and spiritual life was to dig for this submerged sunrise of wonder; so that a man sitting in a chair might suddenly understand that he was actually alive, and be happy."

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.171708/page/n97/mode/2up?q=sunrise

queen.saints

Quote from: Santantonio on October 26, 2021, 12:35:53 PM
"What I meant, whether or no I managed to say it, was this; that no man knows how much he is an optimist, even when he calls himself a pessimist, because he has not really measured the depths of his debt to whatever created him and enabled him to call himself anything. At the back of our brains, so to speak, there was a forgotten blaze or burst of astonishment at our own existence. The object of the artistic and spiritual life was to dig for this submerged sunrise of wonder; so that a man sitting in a chair might suddenly understand that he was actually alive, and be happy."

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.171708/page/n97/mode/2up?q=sunrise

Wow, I love this.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Melkor

"One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak."

G.K. Chesterton

Melkor

"There is nothing to which a man must give himself up with more faith and self abandonment than to genuine laughter."

G.K. Chesterton

Melkor

Fearfully plain the flowers grew,
          Like the child's book to read,
          Or like a friend's face seen in a glass;
          He looked; and there Our Lady was,
          She stood and stroked the tall live grass
          As a man strokes his steed.

Her face was like an open word
          When brave men speak and choose,
          The very colours of her coat
          Were better than good news.

She spoke not, nor turned not,
          Nor any sign she cast,
          Only she stood up straight and free,
          Between the flowers in Athelney,
          And the river running past.

G.K. Chesterton - Ballad of the White Horse

Melkor

"Government has become ungovernable; that is, it cannot leave off governing. Law has become lawless; that is, it cannot see where laws should stop. The chief feature of our time is the meekness of the mob and the madness of the government."

G.K. Chesterton-bold is my own.

Melkor

"The act of defending any of the cardinal virtues has today all the exhilaration of a vice."

G.K. Chesterton

As someone who admires GK's sharp and intellectual assessments of both his own times and history; I often wonder what he would say about our current society.

Frank

"It is quite futile to argue that man is small compared to the cosmos; for man was always small compared to the nearest tree."

I quote I have always remembered in my scientific research.
in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

Melkor

"I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder."

G.K. Chesterton

Melkor

"Precisely because our political speeches are meant to be reported, they are not worth reporting. Precisely because they are carefully designed to be read, nobody reads them."

G.K. Chesterton

Melkor

"If a boy fires off a gun, whether at a fox, a landlord or a reigning sovereign, he will be rebuked according to the relative value of these objects."

G.K. Chesterton