Fifth Anniversary of SD Approaching

Started by Jayne, November 18, 2017, 12:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

Quote from: Jayne on November 29, 2017, 04:19:16 PMJust to remind everyone that my suggestion was to take the anniversary of the forum as an opportunity for a sort of jubilee.  I object to it being used to promote the opposite, although I took Heinrich's comment as more of a joke.  I especially object to Pon making a list of bannable posters and trying yet again to introduce his distasteful idea of having a forum popularity contest.

To clarify, Jayne, this would be an unpopularity contest.  Surely the etymology of jubilee has something to do with "jubilation."  I did not see Heinrich's suggestion as a joke.  I think he was saying that it would heighten the celebration if some undesirables could be given the boot.  In olden times, the villagers would drink and revel if the magistrate exiled the annoyances: to see them walking the long trail out of town, their possessions heaped on a donkey, their heads bowed in shame.  There's a certain exultation in the phrase, "good riddance!"

Please don't be a Negative Nancy.    >:(

Jayne

Quote from: Pon de Replay on November 29, 2017, 04:30:05 PMSurely the etymology of jubilee has something to do with "jubilation."

The etymology of "jubilee" is from the Hebrew word meaning ram's horn because they blew a horn during the jubilee.  The word "jubilation" is derived from it and means happiness.

I already posted what jubilee means for Catholics.
QuoteIn Roman Catholic tradition, a Jubilee or Holy Year is a year of forgiveness of sins and also the punishment due to sin. It is a year of reconciliation between adversaries, of conversion and receiving the Sacrament of Reconciliation, "...and consequently of solidarity, hope, justice, commitment to serve God with joy and in peace with our brothers and sisters."

It is not a time for rejection and nastiness, no matter how happy that might make some people. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Non Nobis

Maybe Kaese could "celebrate" (or we could help) by putting in a little extra prayer to wisely decide who to ban (or not to ban). I don't like the public popularity contest either; instead why not let people write PMs with reasoning why they think someone should be banned.

Kaese may not be all-benevolent but I think he is better than mob rule.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Kaesekopf

Re: the lifting of bans...

Who would you even want?  Of the people permanently banned since the ban schedule system was put into place, we've permanently banned 38 people.

Of them, I'd be willing to entertain the idea of lifting the ban on 7 of them.  We can have this discussion privately, so PM me if you have suggestions. 

I'm not currently inclined towards it, but I'm at least willing to listen.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dymphna17

Well now, didn't this go down the rabbit hole with break-neck speed.  Truth be told, I thought Heinrich was joking.  Now it's all just resembling Pontius Pilate asking the mob whether to condemn Christ and free Barabbas or visa versa.

Tell you what, I'll step away and you all can just let me know where to bring the jello mold for the celebration.   8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: dymphna17 on November 29, 2017, 05:20:45 PM
Well now, didn't this go down the rabbit hole with break-neck speed.  Truth be told, I thought Heinrich was joking.  Now it's all just resembling Pontius Pilate asking the mob whether to condemn Christ and free Barabbas or visa versa.

Tell you what, I'll step away and you all can just let me know where to bring the jello mold for the celebration.   8)

If you're still around to bring it, that is!  No telling who will be on the chopping block  :P ;)

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on November 29, 2017, 05:28:13 PM
If you're still around to bring it, that is!  No telling who will be on the chopping block  :P ;)

I never get nominated for anything.  :(

Vetus Ordo

Pon cannot be banned.

I repeat, Pon CANNOT be banned. He's an asset.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Jayne on November 29, 2017, 04:39:40 PMThe etymology of "jubilee" is from the Hebrew word meaning ram's horn because they blew a horn during the jubilee.  The word "jubilation" is derived from it and means happiness.

Well, I looked up the ram's horn, and it makes a terrifying appearance in the book of Exodus: "and the noise of the trumpet sounded exceeding loud, and the people that was in the camp, feared."  Later on in the same chapter it blows again, before a grave warning about transgression and punishment: "lest they should have a mind to pass the limits ... a very great multitude of them should perish."  So maybe we should get back to the original association of the shofar, and let Der Kopf blow the ram's horn before the Great Banning.  The doomed five will be declared to have "passed the limits" of popular tolerance.

Quote from: Jayne on November 29, 2017, 04:39:40 PMI already posted what jubilee means for Catholics.
QuoteIn Roman Catholic tradition, a Jubilee or Holy Year is a year of forgiveness of sins and also the punishment due to sin. It is a year of reconciliation between adversaries, of conversion and receiving the Sacrament of Reconciliation, "...and consequently of solidarity, hope, justice, commitment to serve God with joy and in peace with our brothers and sisters."

Yes, and I never said the suggestion was wrong to offer forgiveness to those who've already been banned.  This doesn't mean justice takes a holiday, however.  Even in medieval Europe I'm sure the villagers weren't allowed to do whatever they pleased.  Imagine that it is a jubilee year in an alpine Catholic hamlet in the year 1417.  Surely some exiles might return, repentant, willing to confess their sins and atone for them.  But what if also in that same year a traveling carnival came to town, and instead of putting on wholesome shows, they offered darker, queerer, and more occult entertainments: gypsy tarot readers, Eritrean belly dancers, and Jewish magicians.  And what if the ringleaders of the carnival were a trio of bearded old enigmatic Orthodox theologians, like, and they passed out schismatic literature?—and what if some of the already questionable villagers fell under the spell of all this Asiatic mystery and sensuality, and started advocating for strange doctrines themselves?  Do you think that if someone among the authorities had suggested that on the semicentennial anniversary date, all the troublemakers be rounded up, publicly tried, and then chased out of town, that someone would've objected on the grounds that it might be "distasteful?"  Heck, no.  They would've said, "that's a fine idea, Hans."  Forgiveness is for the repentant.  But for those presently causing trouble, no mercy.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 29, 2017, 05:55:24 PM
Pon cannot be banned.

That is exceedingly kind of you to say, mi amigo, but it will have to remain one vote per person.  You can vote for five others if you think I should be spared.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on November 29, 2017, 05:29:49 PM
Quote from: MundaCorMeum on November 29, 2017, 05:28:13 PM

I never get nominated for anything.  :(

It's ok.  Neither do I  :beer:

Mono no aware

Quote from: Non Nobis on November 29, 2017, 04:40:22 PM
Maybe Kaese could "celebrate" (or we could help) by putting in a little extra prayer to wisely decide who to ban (or not to ban). I don't like the public popularity contest either; instead why not let people write PMs with reasoning why they think someone should be banned.

Unfortunately this would give an unfair advantage to those who can write well and persuasively.  Someone with an axe to grind against another poster could stay up all night writing a mesmerizing and convincing manifesto of how awful the other person is for SD, laying it all out in a lawyerly fashion, like a compelling closing argument, aiming particularly to appeal to Kaesekopf's sympathies.  Whereas a gentle and unlettered soul might feel that they would fail in conveying how they've noticed some subtle and weaselly impieties in another poster's offerings.  They might think, "I'm not clever enough to show how this person is getting away with it."  The vote is the great equalizer.

red solo cup

I agree with Jayne on this.  Our anniversary should be celebrated by something positive. Perhaps an amnesty of some kind for people who've been banned. Maybe
Mith or Gott Mitt Uns. Even voxpoppuli. To ban someone for sport, annoying though they may be, comes across as mean spirited.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

red solo cup

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 29, 2017, 05:55:24 PM
Pon cannot be banned.

I'm sure Pon realizes this. He included his own name because he is a sly one. I'm the first to admit his mischief is entertaining.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jayne

Quote from: Pon de Replay on November 29, 2017, 06:39:47 PM
The vote is the great equalizer.

Yes, let's use the method that lets people choose Barabbas over Jesus.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.