Oil jobs

Started by james03, June 08, 2018, 01:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

QuoteAnd it doesn't take much to get hired by the oil industry - which, as Bloomberg summarizes, "will hire just about anyone with basic training"... and it will quickly double, triple or x-ple their pay in the process. "It is crazy" said Jazmin Jimenez, 24, who flew through a two-week training program at New Mexico Junior College about 100 miles north of Midland. Jimenez was hired by Chevron as a well-pump checker. "Honestly I never thought I'd see myself at an oilfield company. But now that I'm here -- I think this is it."

And at $28-an-hour, Jimenez makes double what she was earning as a prison guard at the Lea County Correctional Facility in Hobbs.

So let's recap.  A little girl goes to New Mexico Junior College for 2 weeks.  Applies at Chevron and gets hired.  She's paid $28 bucks an hour, plus full benefits, to drive around and take readings at wells.

What is the excuse for Trad men not being able to support a family?  If you are a young Trad lad, do what the little girl did.  Go to this Junior College and take the course, probably a safety course.  Or better, see below.

Note, this is the Permian, out in West Texas.  Very hot this time of year.  I recommend working in North Dakota first unless you love hot weather.  Pay is not as good, but $20/hr., plus overtime is starting.  You can get a furnished apartment in Williston for $800/mo.  Working Mon - Sat, you should take down $1,500 per week after tax @70hrs./week.  Work til November, then head down to the Permian for the Winter.  By that time you should have saved $50K without trying, or up to $100K if you are frugal.

Pro tip:  Contact Stellar Field Oil Services in Williston, they are hiring.  Stress any manly work you have done, that you will show up on time, and that you will pass the piss test.  To improve odds, take the OSHA 10 General safety course before contacting Stellar.  Google it.  If you tell them you have that, you'll get hired.  You can take it online.  Bring a buddy and split the rent.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

A few things:

1.  Live this life for 2 years with a goal of saving $200K.  Then you can leave it if you want and buy a house for cash.  This will help big time in being able to support a large Catholic family.  Note this is hard work with little leisure.  Young men can pull it off, but make sure to have the mindset that you are investing 2 years so you can buy a house and support a family.

2.  If you are a whiner and excuse maker, don't try this until you fix that.  They'll run you off.

3.  If you are physically weak, work yourself up to 100 push-ups per day before heading up there.

4.  If you hate the heat, working in ND during the winter is doable, but you'll have to drop a lot of money on arctic gear.  I recommend against it if you hate the cold.  Instead drag up and head down to the Permian late November.  Permian has nice weather in the winter.

5.  Another option is to hire on with a big oil company and get into operations like the little girl did.  I don't think I'd want to live in the desert (or the tundra) for the rest of my life, but that might float your boat.  Pay is less, but well above average, and benefits are great.  Harder to get, and they might have hired the little girl to fill a diversity quota, so don't count on that.

6.  Another viable option is to do the 2 years, then use your experience to work in the Ohio Utica, Pennsylvania Marsellas, or in the Colorado oil fields.  So you buy a house, then take a big oil job taking down $70K with full benefits.  No house note, so you are sitting pretty.  Plus girls dig oil field workers.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Sempronius

Amen to that. Would love to do that if I lived in America.

So that means working 11 hours a day. That would be a real challenge but worth it if you could save $100k and start something of your own

james03

My son did it.  He was working 12-14 hours per day during the summer.  Salted away a lot of money for college.  Young men can pull it off if you know it is temporary to save money to buy an house.  Imagine starting married life without an house note.

(Laus, double "an's" with the h.  Killing it baby.)

Gardener

...But the "h" is pronounced, so it would be "a". Unless you follow a cockney pronunciation and it's "an 'ouse".

a hat, an hour, etc.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Michael Wilson

I don't like oil men, too slick.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

james03

Quote...But the "h" is pronounced, so it would be "a". Unless you follow a cockney pronunciation and it's "an 'ouse".

a hat, an hour, etc.
Inside joke.  He hates the practice of putting the "an" in front of a hard h.  So I have to do it now.

Greg

11 hour day isn't hard.  When building my house I was on site at 6 am until past midnight everyday for 4 months.  Went to church and basically lived and worked on the site.  That was hard.

But it got the house built well and fast.

Long days aren't hard.  It's all of the other crap you have to sort out outside of work.  Modern working conditions are a breeze.

Today I have to wash two cars, selling one,, tidy the garden because my 16 year old paid helper has exams and get the SSID code from Mitsubisihi Motors.

I'd rather be working than doing all that crap.  The beauty of oil work I imagine is there ain't too much to distract you.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: james03 on June 08, 2018, 07:10:54 PM
Quote...But the "h" is pronounced, so it would be "a". Unless you follow a cockney pronunciation and it's "an 'ouse".

a hat, an hour, etc.
Inside joke.  He hates the practice of putting the "an" in front of a hard h.  So I have to do it now.

Yer an horrible human
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Frank

www.youtube.com's server IP address could not be found.
Quote from: Greg on June 09, 2018, 01:32:45 AM

www.youtube.com's server IP address could not be found.
in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

Michael Wilson

Frank,
go to youtube and look up "Monty Python Four Yorkshire men"
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

Quote from: Greg on June 09, 2018, 12:57:54 AM
11 hour day isn't hard.  When building my house I was on site at 6 am until past midnight everyday for 4 months.  Went to church and basically lived and worked on the site.  That was hard.

But it got the house built well and fast.

Long days aren't hard.  It's all of the other crap you have to sort out outside of work.  Modern working conditions are a breeze.

Today I have to wash two cars, selling one,, tidy the garden because my 16 year old paid helper has exams and get the SSID code from Mitsubisihi Motors.

I'd rather be working than doing all that crap.  The beauty of oil work I imagine is there ain't too much to distract you.

Don't you have kids for chores doin'?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Heinrich

Quote from: james03 on June 08, 2018, 02:06:22 PM
A few things:

1.  Live this life for 2 years with a goal of saving $200K.  Then you can leave it if you want and buy a house for cash.  This will help big time in being able to support a large Catholic family.  Note this is hard work with little leisure.  Young men can pull it off, but make sure to have the mindset that you are investing 2 years so you can buy a house and support a family.

2.  If you are a whiner and excuse maker, don't try this until you fix that.  They'll run you off.

3.  If you are physically weak, work yourself up to 100 push-ups per day before heading up there.

4.  If you hate the heat, working in ND during the winter is doable, but you'll have to drop a lot of money on arctic gear.  I recommend against it if you hate the cold.  Instead drag up and head down to the Permian late November.  Permian has nice weather in the winter.

5.  Another option is to hire on with a big oil company and get into operations like the little girl did.  I don't think I'd want to live in the desert (or the tundra) for the rest of my life, but that might float your boat.  Pay is less, but well above average, and benefits are great.  Harder to get, and they might have hired the little girl to fill a diversity quota, so don't count on that.

6.  Another viable option is to do the 2 years, then use your experience to work in the Ohio Utica, Pennsylvania Marsellas, or in the Colorado oil fields.  So you buy a house, then take a big oil job taking down $70K with full benefits.  No house note, so you are sitting pretty.  Plus girls dig oil field workers.

1. Rate of pay, on average? With this 200k number, we are talking 28 an hour for 305 working days a year. Is that humanly sustainable with this type of work in the extreme elements?

2. Too bad that is an issue in today's society.

3. I think it'll tak e more than pushups.

4. The football is also better in west TX. Good entertainment for little money.

5. Is there any doubt that Jazmin fella is a diversity token?

6. 200k will not get one a trad comfortable home in CO(That is close to fields).
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

james03

1.  Overtime is the key.
3.  Didn't want to complicate things.  Throw in some pull ups also.
5.  Female and Mexican.  Definitely a 2-fer.

6.  Don't know much about CO.  I think eastern Ohio is a viable plan.  The Utica is centered on Stuebenville, which I believe has a Trad Mass now.  I think there are a good selection of Trad Masses out that way.  So you put in your 2 years, then end up there.  PA is probably a good choice also.  Also Oklahoma City is booming with the SCOOP/STACK fields.