card games

Started by Eliza, January 02, 2013, 09:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 04, 2013, 09:14:06 PM

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 04, 2013, 02:54:31 PM
Has anyone here ever played the Game of Mao?

YESSSS.  Mao is the best.  That may very well be my absolute favorite game, especially when you have a few people who know how to play and one poor sucker who's trying to figure it out.   ;D

I was once the sucker.  Then I was one of the people who knew how to play.   :D
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 04, 2013, 09:39:26 PM
Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 04, 2013, 09:14:06 PM

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 04, 2013, 02:54:31 PM
Has anyone here ever played the Game of Mao?

YESSSS.  Mao is the best.  That may very well be my absolute favorite game, especially when you have a few people who know how to play and one poor sucker who's trying to figure it out.   ;D

I was once the sucker.  Then I was one of the people who knew how to play.   :D

Of course!  If you weren't the sucker once, the whole game loses some of its mystique.   ;D
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Bonaventure

Imagine playing Mao...in China!
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Ben

LouisIX

Quote from: Heinrich on January 02, 2013, 10:20:36 PM
Euchre

This.  Is there a connection between this and German American culture?  It seems to be very popular in the Midwest amongst German populations.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 03, 2013, 09:47:53 PM
Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 03, 2013, 09:30:29 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 03, 2013, 09:23:26 PM
I need to learn how to play euchre, sheepshead, and 500.

500 and Euchre are both excellent games.  I've always wanted to learn Sheepshead.   It's big up in Wisconsin, is it not?  The problem, of course, is finding others with whom to play.  (Though I think Yahoo games actually has a Sheepshead site.  They have Euchre, Cribbage, Pinochle, Gin, Bridge, and Canasta, also.  It's fantastic.)

Correct.  Wisconsinites love their sheepshead.  I was never a big card player, so I never learned how to play it.  People are always astounded that I don't know how to play cards.  Some people said that I should be a pro at them because I'm an electrical engineer and a lot of qualities/attributes overlap for liking card games and circuits?  Or maybe just the whole idea of digital logic and cards.

And cribbage.  I forgot to mention cribbage.

After Euchre, no card games get played more in my family than Sheepshead and Cribbage.

Sheepshead is the most complicated traditional card game I've ever seen.  Once you master it, it's a ton of fun to play.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

My friends and I also ge together to play Texas Hold 'Em at least a few times a year.