Diamond Star Quilt- Help?

Started by Bernadette, December 27, 2014, 07:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Has anyone ever made a quilt similar to this one?

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/174866398003218826/

I did a test-block (star?) using 1.5" diamonds (including seam allowance), and the finished size is about 3.5" point to point, and 2" across the middle. Do you think that would be too small to make the quilt out of, if I used two fabrics for each star, like in the picture? My aunt says that the stars will just end up looking like dots...But I got a wonderful stack of 4.5" strips of solid-color fabric for Christmas that are just dying to be cut up into perfect little 1.5" diamonds...What to do?
My Lord and my God.

verenaerin

Yikes, those are tiny blocks- more power to ya.

I would keep the background blocks the same color and contrasting. Meaning, if your stars are light, keep your background dark, and/or visa versa.

In the picture, the stars that are light and dark lose their "shape", but the ones that are different colors but all dark, are clearly stars.

Bernadette

Well, I measured the fabric strips, and although I asked for 1/8 of a yard, the cutting lady actually gave me 1/6 on all of them, so I can use larger diamonds with less waste. I did a test patch with 2.5" diamonds, and one with 2" and I really like how the latter turned out. It's the perfect size. Now onto the layout planning, if my free quilt software doesn't freeze on me.  :-\
My Lord and my God.