Possible Tendinitis in my Elbow

Started by TerrorDæmonum, January 02, 2013, 02:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

I think I have minor tendinitis in my elbow (extensor muscles).

The little things are what get you. The cure is simple: rest.

But, I have to investigate the cause as well. I was hurt suddenly, while my arm was extended under a load, and it may have been a slight twist too. My arm was supinated at the time, and the load was quite heavy (over 50 lbs, possibly up to 100, as it varied). Due to the normal carrying angle of the arm, it is not the most stable in this position.

It is very local to the single spot and only noted at certain times (it takes quite a lot of effort to feel it), but it is there.

EDIT: I remember reading the Baseball thread, and I looked for that and put this in the same forum. I see now that that thread was here for the "Culture" aspect, not for the health.

Ben

Hope you get better soon.

Your job involves carrying heavy objects?

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Ben on January 02, 2013, 02:57:58 PM
Hope you get better soon.

Your job involves carrying heavy objects?

It was not work related. It is very minor and only an issue for extension of the arm against heavy resistance. Such injuries are dangerous because they are slow to heal and if they are not allowed to heal, they can be a chronic condition.

I am going to look into things I can do to expedite healing.

Greg

Hot and cold compress as much as possible.  Physio tells me that this has enormous benefits if you do it soon after the injury
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

EcceQuamBonum

I have no suggestions for healing, but I offer my prayers for a speedy recovery!
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 02, 2013, 09:22:00 PM
I have no suggestions for healing, but I offer my prayers for a speedy recovery!

Thanks. It is a small irritation, but a small thing to confront nonetheless.

In addition to prayer (it is barely enough to offer up, but every little can help a soul in need), I am going to try nutritional supplements. I think I am not getting the nutrition I need, possibly due to the resumption of exercise, growth of my body, and the environment. I also have noticed that a few small abrasions on my skin have not healed nearly as quickly as they normally would have, and a few joints are sore randomly on occasion. 

I think my body is in need.

To aid it, I have ordered what I think to be a good multivitamin and a Glucosamine, MSM, CMO mix.

Methylsulfonylmethane and Cetyl myristoleate are what "MSM" and "CMO" stand for.

If there is deficiency, this should cover it. If not, then it won't hurt.

Ben

Have you heard o this:

DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide): Made from wood pulp, this chemical penetrates the skin and promotes healing. You can buy it at a health food store. Paint a 70 percent solution of DMSO on the sore area with cotton and let it dry. You may feel warmth or stinging, and experience a garlicky taste in your mouth. Try it three times a day for three days. If there is no improvement, stop using it. If you do feel some improvement, apply DMSO twice a day for three more days, then once a day for a final three days. (If you can only find more concentrated products, dilute them by adding distilled water.)

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Ben on January 03, 2013, 01:06:38 PM
Have you heard o this:

DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide): Made from wood pulp, this chemical penetrates the skin and promotes healing. You can buy it at a health food store. Paint a 70 percent solution of DMSO on the sore area with cotton and let it dry. You may feel warmth or stinging, and experience a garlicky taste in your mouth. Try it three times a day for three days. If there is no improvement, stop using it. If you do feel some improvement, apply DMSO twice a day for three more days, then once a day for a final three days. (If you can only find more concentrated products, dilute them by adding distilled water.)

I've heard of it, but I would not use it.

And in other news though, it is not tendinitis, at least, not any form I know. It feels more like a sprain, a ligament issue. That is more consistent with the pain, how it happened, and how it affects me. It is minor as a sprain. No reduced range of motion or loss of strength, so rest should lead to full recovery. I never sprained my elbow before, but I have sprained other things worse than this and had complete recovery.

That is a relief. Tendinitis can too easily become chronic.

I am still going to use those supplements for the reasons I  stated.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 02, 2013, 02:31:17 PM
The little things are what get you. The cure is simple: rest.

This is the key. I hurt my arm (and probably got tendinitis) due to lifting a little while back. I had to rest.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

TerrorDæmonum

DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide):

DMSO becomes MSM in the body and that is likely what makes it effective. Just realized that.

I am not sure of the long term benefits or risks of taking this supplement, but if it helps with building connective tissue, it cannot hurt.

While working, the pain built during the working hours, until it was a constant ache at the end of my shift. After starting to take the Glucosamine, MSM, and CMO, the pain started to build, but it receded during work. I guess if that is related to the supplement, CMO would be the suspect.

Ben

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 06, 2013, 08:03:40 AM
DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide):

DMSO becomes MSM in the body and that is likely what makes it effective. Just realized that.

I am not sure of the long term benefits or risks of taking this supplement, but if it helps with building connective tissue, it cannot hurt.

I knew a guy who was really helped by it.