What do Bl Columba Marmion and Dom Gueranger share?

Started by Kaesekopf, January 30, 2023, 09:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Turns out, Bl. Columba Marmion and Ven. Dom Gueranger both died on the same day (but different years)!

Have you read any of their works?  Or at least tried to start 'em, in the case of Dom Gueranger? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

I read some of The Liturgical Year. It would make more sense and I would get more out of it if I were able to attend a TLM regularly.
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

I've read the "Liturgical Year", very nice.Its several volumes on the feasts of the year. Buy one volume used and see how you like it.
I have also read a couple of Dom Columba Marmion's books; very Christocentric in his spirituality, reflecting constantly on Our Lord and His life and how this should be a central part of our spiritual life.
try "Christ the life of the soul", that should give you a taste for his style and spirituality.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Prayerful

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 30, 2023, 09:56:52 AMTurns out, Bl. Columba Marmion and Ven. Dom Gueranger both died on the same day (but different years)!

Have you read any of their works?  Or at least tried to start 'em, in the case of Dom Gueranger? 

Liturgical Year in parts (slowly gathering it, Irish printing if possible), and a nice selection of Bl Columba Marmion's writings, which cannot lay my hand on. I probably preferred Marmion's writings (altho it might be that Marmion was writing in his native English and I'm reading Gueranger in translation) for Gueranger's anti-Gallican prejudice was little a bit annoying (confounding both neo-Gallican concoctions with ancient Uses), but LY makes an excellent missal for the volumes I have, office and Mass well laid out with commentary.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Paul_D

I always read The Liturgical Year by Dom Gueranger (every year, since I found out about it; I have the Loreto Pubs edition, and the pre-Divino Afflatu version on PDF) and a few of his other works, like Papal Infallibility. I also read Dom Marmion's works Christ the Life of the Soul, Christ the Ideal of the Monk, and since I have received it, Christ in His Mysteries (each year).