Howdy hey

Started by Custos, January 19, 2023, 05:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custos

I would like to introduce myself to the forum.

QuoteWhat brings you to SD?

I have been a traditional Catholic since 2007.  I began visiting this forum, lurking, ten years ago.

QuoteAre you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)?

I was a member of FishEaters from 2009 until it crashed last July.  After that, I posted for several months in r/Catholicism on Reddit, but people there seem to keep raising the same basic questions, so I grew bored and stopped posting.  I spend most of my time on Twitter and follow a good number of Catholic accounts there.  I do not expect to post here as much as I did on FishEaters, having grown fond of Twitter as my primary social media outlet.

QuoteWhy did you choose your username and avatar?

My avatar is a newly hatched Sea Monkey.  I used to love Sea Monkeys and the old Sea Monkey handbook as a child.  I first saw that picture on the boardwalk in Wildwood, NJ circa 1972.  It said, "INSTANT LIFE!"  I'm using it as an avatar because it's joyous, lighthearted, and funny.

I sang in the schola cantorum for the traditional Latin Mass for a number of years, learning quite a bit about Gregorian chant.  That is how I derived my username.  The custos in Gregorian chant notation comes at the end of the staff and indicates what the first note will be on the next staff.  It's a bit of help, as I hope to be.

QuoteWhat is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning?

I am single and will remain so.

QuoteWhereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!)

I live on the gulf coast of Florida, in the Tampa Bay area.

QuotePersonality type?

Melancholic/choleric.

QuoteFavorite books?

Christ the Life of the Soul, by Bl. Columba Marmion.  He was recommended to me by my SSPX priest, and years before that, by the abbot of a Benedictine monastery.

QuoteFavorite movies?

Gloria (1980).

QuoteFavorite TV shows?

Dragnet.

QuoteFavorite sports/teams

Kansas City Chiefs.  I like Patrick Mahomes and their kicker, Harrison Butker, who serves the traditional Latin Mass.

QuoteHave any hobbies?

Words with Friends and Wordle.  I do Wordle every morning and share results with my mother and sister.

QuotePet peeves:

Users who lecture others and act like Malvolio.  (Hello Rosarium/Pæniteo/Insanis/TerrorDaemonum/Joseph/Docui-Iniquos!)

QuoteFun random fact about yourself:

I have an umbilical hernia.

AlfredtheGreat

Quote from: Custos on January 19, 2023, 05:19:02 AMMy avatar is a newly hatched Sea Monkey.  I used to love Sea Monkeys and the old Sea Monkey handbook as a child.  I first saw that picture on the boardwalk in Wildwood, NJ circa 1972.  It said, "INSTANT LIFE!"  I'm using it as an avatar because it's joyous, lighthearted, and funny.

Welcome.

Are you a fellow native Garden Stater?
These people are crazy

Custos

Quote from: AlfredtheGreat on January 19, 2023, 07:48:58 AMAre you a fellow native Garden Stater?

Yes, indeed.  I grew up in West Orange, attended high school in West Long Branch, and most recently lived in Bay Head.  I moved to Florida in 2016.

AlfredtheGreat

Quote from: Custos on January 19, 2023, 07:53:49 AM
Quote from: AlfredtheGreat on January 19, 2023, 07:48:58 AMAre you a fellow native Garden Stater?

Yes, indeed.  I grew up in West Orange, attended high school in West Long Branch, and most recently lived in Bay Head.  I moved to Florida in 2016.

Small world. I was born in Long Branch and grew up in Hazlet.
These people are crazy

clau clau

Quote from: AlfredtheGreat on January 19, 2023, 07:56:08 AM

Big world.  I was born in Kingsbury and grew up in Kenton.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

AlfredtheGreat

Quote from: clau clau on January 19, 2023, 08:02:57 AM
Quote from: AlfredtheGreat on January 19, 2023, 07:56:08 AM

Big world.  I was born in Kingsbury and grew up in Kenton.

Well I see Kenton is in Middlesex County. I grew up in Monmouth County which borders....Middlesex County. So small world after all  ;)
These people are crazy

Melkor

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

james03

"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Optatus

Hey Custos! I believe I recognise your name from r/Catholicism. I always found you very insightful and knowledgeable. Glad to see you're here.

Heinrich

Welcome. A sister lives in Gibsonton. Never been there and dont ever plan to go, but, hey: Small world.

Do you lift?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis