Opinions of Tertullian

Started by Joseph_3, December 04, 2022, 11:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph_3

God bless, brothers and sisters.

What do you all think about Tertullian? I have been reading some of his work and agree with almost all but disagree with a few aspects of his doctrine. Otherwise, I think his work is very lucid and his writings have given me inspiration, knowledge and provided context. 

Melkor

Quote from: Joseph_3 on December 04, 2022, 11:59:49 AM

What do you all think about Tertullian? I have been reading some of his work and agree with almost all but disagree with a few aspects of his doctrine. Otherwise, I think his work is very lucid and his writings have given me inspiration, knowledge and provided context.

He was a rigorist, too hardcore for even the very hardline early Catholics. And eventually fell into heresy, was excommunicated, and died in heresy. I'd stay away from his writings; there are plenty of early Church Fathers to read.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Joseph_3

Quote from: Melkor on December 04, 2022, 02:49:17 PM

He was a rigorist, too hardcore for even the very hardline early Catholics. And eventually fell into heresy, was excommunicated, and died in heresy. I'd stay away from his writings; there are plenty of early Church Fathers to read.

I have noticed his very hardline teachings. I don't necessarily think that it is much of a bad thing, in itself, especially if one can deviate the heresy from the Truth. I did read that he developed an "understanding" for the heresy of Montanism, and that is what began his separation from the Church, but have seen so far that he only agreed with their stance on marriage and that he didn't believe them to be prophets, as the three declared that they were.

What other authors would you suggest? I'm studying the doctrine of the Church in the 2nd century and coming across intact writings seems to be difficult. I plan on researching Catholicism from it's very roots to gain a full understanding of the Church, it's practices and the justification of those practices. 

Instaurare omnia

Tertullian's Apology is a no-nonsense smackdown of Roman paganism that has some relevance to current times. The New Advent website has lots of his other works (page down alphabetically) though I can't say offhand whether that list includes his later Montanist heresy.
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).

Joseph_3

Quote from: Instaurare omnia on December 04, 2022, 05:11:12 PM
Tertullian's Apology is a no-nonsense smackdown of Roman paganism that has some relevance to current times. The New Advent website has lots of his other works (page down alphabetically) though I can't say offhand whether that list includes his later Montanist heresy.

I have read his Apology along with Adversus Judaeos and sampled some other works of his. I deeply enjoyed reading both texts. It wasn't until after that I discovered his apparent attachment to Montanism. Heretic or not, I'm sure he did well initiating many to Christ's teachings and to the Church, which he was once a part of.

Melkor

Quote from: Joseph_3 on December 04, 2022, 04:10:15 PM

I have noticed his very hardline teachings. I don't necessarily think that it is much of a bad thing, in itself, especially if one can deviate the heresy from the Truth. I did read that he developed an "understanding" for the heresy of Montanism, and that is what began his separation from the Church, but have seen so far that he only agreed with their stance on marriage and that he didn't believe them to be prophets, as the three declared that they were.

What other authors would you suggest? I'm studying the doctrine of the Church in the 2nd century and coming across intact writings seems to be difficult. I plan on researching Catholicism from it's very roots to gain a full understanding of the Church, it's practices and the justification of those practices.

I'm woefully ignorant on the early Church Fathers' (and their contemporaries like Origen and Tertullian) writings. I've read a little of St Augustine (which is a solid choice by the way), but I generally focus more on the catechisms and their explanations, as well as spiritual books. 

I'm not saying everything Tertullian writes is heresy; far from it. I'm sure some of St Thomas' work was influenced in part by his work. I'd assume so at least.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Joseph_3

Quote from: Melkor on December 04, 2022, 07:03:16 PM
Quote from: Joseph_3 on December 04, 2022, 04:10:15 PM

I'm woefully ignorant on the early Church Fathers' (and their contemporaries like Origen and Tertullian) writings. I've read a little of St Augustine (which is a solid choice by the way), but I generally focus more on the catechisms and their explanations, as well as spiritual books. 

I'm not saying everything Tertullian writes is heresy; far from it. I'm sure some of St Thomas' work was influenced in part by his work. I'd assume so at least.

The early books are very spiritual and philosophical. The ignorance that they encountered in those first few centuries almost mirror what we do today, and Christendom really hasn't wrestled with such arguments since it's conception. The "rational science" side was speaking about atoms and evolution in 170 AD! That, along with atheism and agnosticism, was apparently a mainstream idea as well from what I have deduced.

If you're looking for something very early, I would recommend "The Octavius of Minucius Felix," which was a wonderful read. It is only about an hour long. St. Augustine in a favorite read of mine, a little later than current scope though.