Any Opera Fans?

Started by TerrorDæmonum, December 22, 2021, 11:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

Today I finally have the complete recordings of the Cycle of Der Ring des Nibelungen.

(For those who are practicing German and are unfamiliar with it, that is "the Ring of the Nibelung". Nibelung is singular.)

Die Walküre arrived today and I'm set.

But for some reason, those I tell of this in person don't seem to excited. The most common question is "are you going to listen to it?" of all things. It is a bizarre thing.

Although, telling LotR fans that it is about a magical ring made by a dwarf with stolen (Rhein)gold which is the object of desire of a very powerful being (Wotan) who is attempting to obtain it after losing it to a lesser being (giants) and that a mortal (Siegfried) kills the giant and keeps the ring for himself and he has a lover who is a Valkyrie who gives up her immortality for her love for him piques their interest.

Vox Clara

I think that's wonderful, Pæniteo. Not everyone appreciates Wagner it seems. I admit I prefer Mozart, Verdi, and Puccini. But I'd happily listen to the Ring Cycle.

TerrorDæmonum

Thanks.

I wouldn't say any particular opera is my favourite, but in this case, obtaining the complete Cycle was not as straightforward as getting copies of other operas.

It is 24 full LPs in four boxes. Obtaining all of it in the condition desired was a bit of a task, and, in total, not cheap (but not particularly expensive). So I have particular anticipation as I bought the first of the set locally, and then sought out the rest online, and the final set had to be ordered by mailing a cheque to the seller and waiting for him to get it, deposit it, and then ship.

Tomorrow, I might obtain an opera by Vivaldi, but that will be a lot easier. There is a nice store nearby which has a lot of good stuff.

Quote from: Vox Clara on December 22, 2021, 11:58:13 PM
But I'd happily listen to the Ring Cycle.

I haven't listened through the records yet, but my turntable is manual, and it will require dedicated time to listen to each one, as it will be broken up by switching records.

The records are arranged for a record changer, but I'd never use one of those, so it is going to be some careful record handling.

LausTibiChriste

I'm not a massive fan (prefer the symphonies) , but I really enjoy going to watch it at these majestic theatres, all dressed up, with my wife.

We saw Don Giovanni at the Estates Theatre in Prague (where it was premiered by Mozart himself back in 1787)... That was fantastic.

Seen a few others but that one takes the cake.

We're dying to go to a show at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow one day.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Melkor

Not really an opera fan. Like Laus, I prefer symphonies. I have read the story of Siegfried though, it's really sad.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Bernadette

I like opera. Haven't gone since college, but I did enjoy it.
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on December 23, 2021, 07:44:11 AM
I like opera. Haven't gone since college, but I did enjoy it.

Yeah.... that is my experience as well.  Would massively love to see the Ring cycle performed.  Puccini tends to be my favorite for opera.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Jayne

I don't usually like opera.  One the other hand, I am a big fan of Gilbert and Sullivan's works which some categorize as opera.  Personally, I call them operettas.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 23, 2021, 04:05:26 AM
I'm not a massive fan (prefer the symphonies) ,
I listen to concerti the most if one were to take a personal survey.

Quotebut I really enjoy going to watch it at these majestic theatres, all dressed up, with my wife.
Do you wear opera pumps and use opera glasses?

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 23, 2021, 10:26:49 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 23, 2021, 04:05:26 AM
I'm not a massive fan (prefer the symphonies) ,
I listen to concerti the most if one were to take a personal survey.

Quotebut I really enjoy going to watch it at these majestic theatres, all dressed up, with my wife.
Do you wear opera pumps and use opera glasses?

No, I'm normal.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

aquinas138

I love opera; I didn't really get into it until about 3 years ago, but I've been borderline obsessed since. I prefer Italian opera to German, particularly bel canto. I particularly enjoy listening to historical recordings and noting the differences in the way opera has been conducted and sung over the last century-plus.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: aquinas138 on December 23, 2021, 02:03:42 PM
I particularly enjoy listening to historical recordings and noting the differences in the way opera has been conducted and sung over the last century-plus.

I have my eye on a complete set of 78s from the 20s of a performance of a particular opera. The set isn't cheap and would have to be shipped and 78s are easily broken, but I'm tempted.

The Curt Jester

I enjoy the overtures.  When the singing starts, it's may or may not drive me away.  In general, however, I do not appreciate operatic singing.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: The Curt Jester on December 23, 2021, 04:16:09 PM
I enjoy the overtures.  When the singing starts, it may or may not drive me away. 
Do you also watch the intro credits on movies and then stop watching?

QuoteIn general, however, I do not appreciate operatic singing.
To close to home, eh?