Author Topic: Salve!  (Read 10929 times)

Offline Vetus Ordo

• Feldwebel
  • Hopeful Fatalist
Re: Salve!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 03:50:03 PM »
Vetus, no animosity here, trust me, but are you Catholic?

I attend the TLM and the NO when nothing else is available.

Your signature speaks loudly, if you did not know this. The part about justified by works sounds quite Protestant. Just calling it as I see it. Which could very well be wrong, I admit freely. Seemed like the verse protestants use against Catholics.

It's a 1st century quote by St. Clement, Bishop of Rome. First letter to the Corinthians.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1010.htm
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

The following users thanked this post: OCLittleFlower, Carleendiane, Fleur-de-Lys

Offline Carleendiane

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • all aboard the "struggle bus"
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 05:08:52 PM »
This is nice to hear, of course, though I would not have given you a hard time otherwise! So happy with the increase in members, especially those,on fire for the faith. I love the TLM. We, our group, is diocesan, though we do get to have every Sunday and every holy day, along with some special feast days, done in the old rite. Very pleased to meet you Vetus. I only asked if you were Lithuanian, because a friend of mine IS, and has a son named Vetus. Well, I'll be seeing you around. God bless.  :seeya:
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Online mikemac

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »
You are the guy from FE that is from the Azores, or was it the Canary Islands, aren't you Vetus Ordo?
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 06:07:37 PM »
I only asked if you were Lithuanian, because a friend of mine IS, and has a son named Vetus. Well, I'll be seeing you around. God bless.  :seeya:

The Lithuanian name is spelled "Vytas".  It is probably a shortened form of Vytautas. 

"Vetus" is Latin for "old, ancient" (related to the English word "veteran").  The expression "Vetus Ordo"(old order)  is the opposite of "Novus Ordo"(new order). I have always understood the name to mean that he is opposed to the NO.

Hello, Vetus Ordo. Welcome.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo, OCLittleFlower, Carleendiane

Offline orate

• Pray always!
  • Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 09:38:56 AM »
Welcome back, Vetus!
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo

Offline Sockpuppet

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »

So you attend Lutheran services when nothing else is available :p?

I kid. It's good to hear you've returned to the faith, Lightkeeper.

Offline Vetus Ordo

• Feldwebel
  • Hopeful Fatalist
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 11:03:07 AM »

I've actually never stopped going to Church, if by "Church" the local mainstream parish church qualifies. Sadly, the TLM is scarcely available.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

The following users thanked this post: Carleendiane

Offline Sockpuppet

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 11:09:24 AM »

I've actually never stopped going to Church, if by "Church" the local mainstream parish church qualifies. Sadly, the TLM is scarcely available.

So were you just trolling us all when you announced you were a Calvinist?

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Carleendiane

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • all aboard the "struggle bus"
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »
Don't feel bad Vetus, my spiritual life took so many turns it's a wonder we (hubby too) found our way back. When we did find the old Mass, it was like finding our way home! Hubby says when he first encountered the New Mass, after Vietnam, he returned to his neighborhood church and it was like going home and finding the place completely rearranged, unrecognizeable. He was a stranger in his own home.  So he walked away for about 10 years. Came back and it was worse, left again, didn't really begin to practice a sacramental life until finding the TLM. After that, he never left again.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo, Non Nobis, ServusMariae

Offline Vetus Ordo

• Feldwebel
  • Hopeful Fatalist
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »

No.

I just got fed up with the whole intellectual conundrum of traditional Catholicism (still when I posted in FE) but, to be honest, I never was able to bring myself into attending another church, despite flirting and getting to know and appreciate better the intellectual foundations of Protestantism and Calvinism in particular. You see, Catholicism, for someone from my cultural background, is just too much ingrained into one's being. It's a spiritual and cultural phenomenon. A living thing. There's no other realistic option. So, I just survided in the mainstream parishes for the past few years, accompanying my mother on Sunday masses. But at this point in life, I don't really care anymore. I'm happy to attend a traditional liturgy and to be close to Christ. The rest doesn't really matter that much.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, Non Nobis, OCLittleFlower, Fleur-de-Lys

Offline ServusMariae

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »
*pats Vetus* It has been a tough, tough journey for you & I applaud you for that. I did checked out some Protestant churches aeons before I became Catholic, but even after I became a Catholic I struggled to make sense of the Novus Ordo masses ... I joined Novus Ordo-ish ministries in my Novus Ordo parish & I was still feeling empty inside, knowing that there is something "deeper" to Catholicism, but when I finally got the chance to experience the TLM, though ... lo & behold, I was awestruck beyond words & never wanted to leave it. It felt like all of Heaven crashed to Earth ... & at that point, I knew that I found that precious gemstone called Tradition at long last.

That said, I forgot to unleash some confetti for you. Welcome back! ^-^ (*throws confetti*)

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, Vetus Ordo, dymphna17, Xavier

Offline Older Salt

• Ora Pro Nobis Sancta dei Genitrix.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Pray for the Dead.
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »
Hi VO.

Dan here.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Offline Vetus Ordo

• Feldwebel
  • Hopeful Fatalist
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 04:25:41 PM »

Offline Archer

• Hauptmann
  • Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is lethal.
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »

No.

I just got fed up with the whole intellectual conundrum of traditional Catholicism (still when I posted in FE) but, to be honest, I never was able to bring myself into attending another church, despite flirting and getting to know and appreciate better the intellectual foundations of Protestantism and Calvinism in particular. You see, Catholicism, for someone from my cultural background, is just too much ingrained into one's being. It's a spiritual and cultural phenomenon. A living thing. There's no other realistic option. So, I just survided in the mainstream parishes for the past few years, accompanying my mother on Sunday masses. But at this point in life, I don't really care anymore. I'm happy to attend a traditional liturgy and to be close to Christ. The rest doesn't really matter that much.

I remember that being a really big deal on FE, lol. Welcome back.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:39:04 AM by Archer »
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Offline Older Salt

• Ora Pro Nobis Sancta dei Genitrix.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Pray for the Dead.
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 12:08:11 PM »
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.