Author Topic: Which Brand of Cutting Mat Do You Use?  (Read 832 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Which Brand of Cutting Mat Do You Use?
« on: September 05, 2015, 07:15:56 PM »
Fiskars? Olfa? I've found one by "Alvin" on Amazon, which has surprisingly good reviews. What do you look for in a cutting mat, anyway? Is thickness really important? Do they REALLY "self-heal?" Is bigger always better? I'm still using my grandma's old tailoring shears, but I sprung for a rotary cutter for my birthday this year:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B7M8WU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

This will make cutting out pieces SO much faster! And with those "window" templates I'll be able to trace my sewing lines at the same time as my cutting lines, so hopefully I'll get to the fun part way sooner. ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 07:20:24 PM by Bernadette »
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

Offline verenaerin

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • mother of a tiny tribe
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Which Brand of Cutting Mat Do You Use?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 07:33:10 PM »
Typically, with most things hobby wise, you buy the biggest you can afford. That being said, and knowing the templates you are going to be using, I suggest you buy a rotating mat. I have the OLFA 12" mat. Cutting smallish pieces and squaring blocks became so much more easier and accurate. The more you move the material or ruler, the more of a chance there will be mistakes, or the fabric will move/ warp on you. So I highly suggest you get sand paper dots for the back of your templates so they don't slide, a rotating matt, don't wash your material if it's new, and starch the hell out of it before you cut it.

Since you like using tiny scraps, the 12" is probably a good size for you.

Also, make sure you change your rotary blade regularly, and don't screw it on all the way. Tighten it and then undo it one screw.