fish on Fridays

Started by Instaurare omnia, October 21, 2022, 06:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instaurare omnia

My post on "What's for Dinner" over in the "Coffee and Donuts" subforum:
QuoteSushi put together with Walmart ingredients: a cheap can of kipper snacks, rice, and seaweed, plus some proper condiments stockpiled a while ago from a Japanese market far away. And some very nice junmai nigori sake. (Taking this over to the "Ask a Traditionalist" subforum for the Catholicity of it all.)
So this follows the letter-of-the-law, but I'm not quite sure of the spirit-of-the-law. It's not lobster and caviar. But it was very good. In a premodern context, the embargo on meat is indeed meaningful. Yet in the 21st century, if dietary abstinence is meant to be part of spiritual self-discipline, it would seem that even a totally vegan Friday misses the mark if it is noticeably gratifying to the senses.

Thoughts?
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).

Bernadette

I enjoyed my dinner, too (egg, potato, and cheese burrito). I won't lose any sleep over it.
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

The penance is to abstain from meat, and not any other sort of thing.  That is the spirit and letter of the law.

Why is it somehow opposed to the spirit of meatflesh abstinence to enjoy your meal?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Jmartyr

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 21, 2022, 06:45:43 PM
The penance is to abstain from meat, and not any other sort of thing.  That is the spirit and letter of the law.

Why is it somehow opposed to the spirit of meatflesh abstinence to enjoy your meal?
And not to mention the virtue of obedience by doing what the Church says to do. This is lost by choosing your own penance on Fridays.
"If anyone is excommunicated it is not I, but the excommunicators." - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
" A false church cannot have a true mission." - St. Francis De Sales
" The way is open for us to deprive councils of their authority, contradict their acts freely, and profess confidently, whatever SEEMS to be true. " - Martin Luther

Goldfinch

Quote from: Instaurare omnia on October 21, 2022, 06:23:33 PMYet in the 21st century, if dietary abstinence is meant to be part of spiritual self-discipline, it would seem that even a totally vegan Friday misses the mark if it is noticeably gratifying to the senses.

Neither the letter of the law nor its spirit propose that the meal we have on Fridays should be horrible or mortifying to the senses. You are to enjoy the meal for every meal is a gift of God: it is He who nourishes our body and our soul.

The purpose of meatless Fridays is self-discipline and obedience to the disciplinary laws of the Church. Sure, don't have a fish and lobster banquet but enjoy and be grateful for the meal that you have.
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great

Lynne

This was a good questions with lots of great answers.  :cheeseheadbeer:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Julio

Anyway, I am now also into this no meat on Fridays except meat from fish. I rather consume eggs, nuts, vegetables and sometimes prawns and crabs. Since cheese is very expensive in my country because it is imported from European nations, I also eat them from time to time on Fridays when it is reasonable to buy them  ;) God bless all.

Bernadette

I don't eat fish. It makes me gag. So I stick with eggs.
My Lord and my God.

Julio

Yes, Bernadette, not all people like fish. I used to love sashimi when I was still into alcohol drinking. Here in the Philippines, when we drink with friends we have this appetizer in the table and Japanese kind of preparation for fish used to be my favorite way of partying with them.

Back to Friday fasting, I am more of fish and eggs actually. Certainly there must be vegetable, nuts and fruits. We have banana and guava here in the Philippines. Funny thing is imported apples are now cheaper than our locally produced guava. Not many from Filipinos like guava.

Gardener

Quote from: Instaurare omnia on October 21, 2022, 06:23:33 PM
My post on "What's for Dinner" over in the "Coffee and Donuts" subforum:
QuoteSushi put together with Walmart ingredients: a cheap can of kipper snacks, rice, and seaweed, plus some proper condiments stockpiled a while ago from a Japanese market far away. And some very nice junmai nigori sake. (Taking this over to the "Ask a Traditionalist" subforum for the Catholicity of it all.)
So this follows the letter-of-the-law, but I'm not quite sure of the spirit-of-the-law. It's not lobster and caviar. But it was very good. In a premodern context, the embargo on meat is indeed meaningful. Yet in the 21st century, if dietary abstinence is meant to be part of spiritual self-discipline, it would seem that even a totally vegan Friday misses the mark if it is noticeably gratifying to the senses.

Thoughts?

Canned herring and seaweed sounds fairly penitential to me...
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on October 22, 2022, 03:00:59 PM

Eggs are great, a complete protein.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

The Curt Jester

You could try roe.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Instaurare omnia

Quote from: Gardener on October 22, 2022, 03:22:32 PM
[Canned herring and seaweed sounds fairly penitential to me...

Add plum paste, sweet pickled ginger, soy sauce, and a dab of wasabi horseradish, and it's a whole different story. And wash it down with smooth sake, sublime.
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).

Instaurare omnia

Have you ever tried monkfish? No fishy taste at all.

Melkor

You've never tried my beer-batter fried Northern pike fillets, clearly.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ