Thoughts on Adoption

Started by franciszver, March 02, 2013, 02:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erin is nice

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on March 05, 2013, 02:54:21 PM
Money's important.  After all, kids need to eat.

If I were destitute enough for food stamps, etc, and married, there would be total abstinence in this house.  Instituted by my husband, actually -- he isn't a believer in taking any chances as far as not being able to care for a child goes.

And yes, there have been married couples who have placed their children in another family due to hardship.  It's very sad, of course, but it might be for the best.   Though at least with a married couple the child has an extra level of safety net that comes from having two parents.

I'd rather see people get the help they need to keep their children, than see families torn apart. And yes, a mother and her child is a family.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: erin is nice on March 06, 2013, 10:19:35 AM

If I were destitute enough for food stamps, etc, and married, there would be total abstinence in this house.  Instituted by my husband, actually -- he isn't a believer in taking any chances as far as not being able to care for a child goes.

And yes, there have been married couples who have placed their children in another family due to hardship.  It's very sad, of course, but it might be for the best.   Though at least with a married couple the child has an extra level of safety net that comes from having two parents.

I'd rather see people get the help they need to keep their children, than see families torn apart. And yes, a mother and her child is a family.

I don't believe our country is in a financial position to provide that.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

erin is nice

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on March 06, 2013, 03:02:07 PM

Who said anything about "our country"? Why not churches and other charitable organizations?

Spooky

Right, because it's not like there are non-government run charities or anything.

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Mithrandylan

You're out of your element, Donny.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: erin is nice on March 06, 2013, 03:09:08 PM

Who said anything about "our country"? Why not churches and other charitable organizations?

Food stamps means government.  I assumed that our conversation was flowing with some kind of logic, in which you are responding to the posts you quote.

And even in terms of churches and private charities, donations are down almost across the board because of the economy -- so even if it isn't the Feds and tax dollars and all that, someone has to be both willing and able to give money.  And, unlike the Feds, charities can't run an endless stream of debt.

erin is nice

So, better to break up families than to expect people to make little sacrifices in order to help the less fortunate?

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: erin is nice on March 06, 2013, 09:09:08 PM
So, better to break up families than to expect people to make little sacrifices in order to help the less fortunate?

1) Many people are already making little sacrifices to keep their own families afloat, pay the increased payroll tax burden, etc.

2) The phrase "to break up families" implies force.  I don't suggest force, I suggest that people take the best course of action for their children's future.

3) I don't think other people need to make sacrifices to help someone who made poor choices and does not wish improve things for their own family.  There are people who are legitimately down on their luck, yes.  But I don't think Catholics need to sacrifice our own comfort in order to bankroll the fornication of secularists.

4) Shouldn't the mother who failed at chastity make the sacrifice for her own child? (IE place the child in another family where that child could be provided for.)  If she isn't willing to make that sacrifice, why should others make sacrifices for her?

5) I don't think that those who sin and face the consequences are "less fortunate" anymore than compulsive gamblers and people who can't manage money are "less fortunate."  Luck had nothing to do with it.  If they are willing to accept help -- and by help I mean ALL help, not just financial but also help to straighten up and fly right -- that's one thing.  But if they wish to keep on doing what they're doing and have others bankroll it?  No thanks.

erin is nice

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on March 06, 2013, 09:40:36 PM
3) I don't think other people need to make sacrifices to help someone who made poor choices and does not wish improve things for their own family.  There are people who are legitimately down on their luck, yes.  But I don't think Catholics need to sacrifice our own comfort in order to bankroll the fornication of secularists.

5) I don't think that those who sin and face the consequences are "less fortunate" anymore than compulsive gamblers and people who can't manage money are "less fortunate."  Luck had nothing to do with it.  If they are willing to accept help -- and by help I mean ALL help, not just financial but also help to straighten up and fly right -- that's one thing.  But if they wish to keep on doing what they're doing and have others bankroll it?  No thanks.

There but for the grace of God go I, and you, and any of us. If you avoided sin, it's because of God, not your own ability.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: erin is nice on March 06, 2013, 10:03:44 PM

There but for the grace of God go I, and you, and any of us. If you avoided sin, it's because of God, not your own ability.

We have all been given the graces needed to save our souls.

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Archer on March 06, 2013, 05:55:01 PM

I don't think Jeff. B was the one that originally said that..
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on March 06, 2013, 10:06:04 PM
Quote from: erin is nice on March 06, 2013, 10:03:44 PM

Some people might disagree with that.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Penelope

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on March 07, 2013, 12:59:36 AM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on March 06, 2013, 10:06:04 PM

Some people might disagree with that.

Not a Catholic.