Is the news scripted?

Started by Theophilus, February 25, 2013, 09:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theophilus

Do you sometimes get the feeling that news stations are told what they should put on the news?  Maybe we are only hearing what they want us to hear?  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkxR9T01pw&feature=youtu.be
"Only little children and those who are like them shall be admitted to the Heavenly Banquet."–St. Therese of Lisieux
"Because he hath therefore scattered you among the Gentiles, who know not him, that you may declare his wonderful works, and make them know that there is no other Almighty God besides him."

Mysterium Fidei

That's funny. It's like they're all reading from the same talking points.

Greg

The news is definitely scripted.  Of that there can be no doubt.

The question is by whom.

God, or man?
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Archer

News networks have their own agendas, theres no doubt about that.  But do I think there is one person or organization pulling all the strings and scripting what every news network says? Emphatically no. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Mr. Mysterious

I've been saying this for years. My beef with the media isn't so much what they report and how they report it, but what they don't report.

The late former CBS News President Richard Salant said years ago, "Our job is to give people not what they want, but what we feel they ought to have."
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Theophilus

Quote from: The Punisher on February 27, 2013, 01:34:15 PM
I've been saying this for years. My beef with the media isn't so much what they report and how they report it, but what they don't report.

The late former CBS News President Richard Salant said years ago, "Our job is to give people not what they want, but what we feel they ought to have."
This is exactly right.  Everytime there is some lame story plastered all over the internet, like the President's dog, or Petraeus' love scandal, I'm thinking, "okay, what country are we now bombing or what bill is being passed to take away some right, or how much money is the Fed printing?"
"Only little children and those who are like them shall be admitted to the Heavenly Banquet."–St. Therese of Lisieux
"Because he hath therefore scattered you among the Gentiles, who know not him, that you may declare his wonderful works, and make them know that there is no other Almighty God besides him."

dust

Two weeks ago, on Special Report on Fox News, they finished a show with a comical roundup of local stations talking about the rising gasoline prices. A collage of news story lead lines from around the country, and every one started their story with " I don't have to tell you that gas prices are going up". Different stations, from different network affiliates, all using the exact same language. I found it disturbing, to say the least. Orwell anyone?
"The Truth is still the Truth, even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it." ++ Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen
"Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris"

Someone1776

Quote from: TTBG on March 01, 2013, 08:02:23 PM
Quote from: The Punisher on February 27, 2013, 01:34:15 PM

This is exactly right.  Everytime there is some lame story plastered all over the internet, like the President's dog, or Petraeus' love scandal, I'm thinking, "okay, what country are we now bombing or what bill is being passed to take away some right, or how much money is the Fed printing?"

Newspapers and news stations exist for one reason: to make money. A story about the great Twinkies drought will get more people to tune in than a story about an actual drought in the Sudan that kills millions. Dale Carengie said "a person's toothache means more to that person than a famine in China which kills a million people."