Do you trust the news you hear?

Started by longstrangetrip5, July 11, 2018, 11:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: longstrangetrip5 on July 12, 2018, 01:38:32 PM
hate to ask a dumb question but is Drudge a cable thing?

I have heard of Drudge but... not much obviously. Sorry, I tend to be like my grandmother, don't want to try new things.. but I would try other conservative news sources...

www.drudgereport.com
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

JackoPaul

Quote from: red solo cup on July 12, 2018, 04:39:22 AM
The only news I trust is from Syria Girl. For all the wrong reasons.

obviously a very reliable news source I will add her to my list

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: longstrangetrip5 on July 11, 2018, 11:13:19 AM
I watch Fox News exclusively because I don't trust CNN or most other cable news networks

It's always a bad idea just to listen to one source.

It's intellectually diminishing.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Greg

Quote from: longstrangetrip5 on July 12, 2018, 01:39:56 PM
Quote from: Greg on July 11, 2018, 04:51:34 PM
Otto Warmbier was a moron and I am glad they executed him.

For goodness sake grow up and behave like an adult when in another country., especially North Korea.  I am in Thailand,  I would never insult their king.  Honour is a big deal in Asia.  Respect that or stay at home

Stealing shit and living life like it is one big frat party is really stupid.

His parents raised a spoiled little brat.  If that was my kid behaving so stupidly I would be glad to see the back of him.
now you know darn good and well that last thing is NOT so

and I don't think anyone deserves to die over taking a souvenir

I would want him executed for being such a stupid turd and serve as a warning to others not to be stupid turds. The crime is not "stealing a poster" it is going to North Korea for the shits and giggles.

I would do the same to ISIS wannabes.  Let nature take its course and flush out the ubend of life.

If my 21 year old smuggled drugs into Thailand, not as the ringleader but immaturely thinking he or she could get a 50k payment as a drug mule and spend it setting up a legitimate venture, then I would attend court and ask for their execution and no mercy from the judge.

Why?  Because I raised them NOT to be stupid idiots.  And not to think they were more important than a population of a country.  They are not.

Men used to be shot for cowardice in the face of battle.  I have more sympathy for men fleeing the terror of war than I do Otto W.

We need to irradicate this generation of immature fools who cannot tell the difference between real life and phucking video game.  Bring back responsibly and consequences.  Not 12 to 24 months later when lawyers and social workers have plea bargained for you, but being taken into the back of the police station and having 7 shades of shit kicked out of you, because your father was too weak to turn you into a man.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

longstrangetrip5

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 13, 2018, 09:09:14 AM
I watch Fox News exclusively because I don't trust CNN or most other cable news networks

not if the source is trustworthy

I find Fox trustworthy. I also read newspapers but not so much lately. i have personal stuff i have to tend to so not reading as much as i would like

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: longstrangetrip5 on July 13, 2018, 01:51:58 PM

I find Fox trustworthy. I also read newspapers but not so much lately. i have personal stuff i have to tend to so not reading as much as i would like

The Russians also thought that Pravda and Izvestia were trustworthy.

The only way you can learnto filter the news is to be able to check multiple sources.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Prayerful

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 13, 2018, 04:30:23 PM

The only way you can learnto filter the news is to be able to check multiple sources.

I don't think they took it as truth, but as a source for whichever was the current policy direction, which is how I see mainstream news services. It is wise to be aware of the current obsessions of the powers that be.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

PerEvangelicaDicta

If you're on the right, FNN is trustworthy, although they are hardly conservative, they just seem so compared to other media.
If you're on the left, CNN, et. al, is trustworthy. 
Both pander to their audiences but they are two sides of the same coin. 

It is indeed intellectually diminishing, not to mention humiliating - you're being played like a violin. 
See thread:
https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=19738.0

Remember what happened in the US in 2012?  The Smith-Mundt Modernization Act

QuoteU.S. Repeals Propaganda Ban, Spreads Government-Made News to Americans
For decades, a so-called anti-propaganda law prevented the U.S. government's mammoth broadcasting arm from delivering programming to American audiences. But on July 2, that came silently to an end with the implementation of a new reform passed in January. The result: an unleashing of thousands of hours per week of government-funded radio and TV programs ...
http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/07/14/u-s-repeals-propaganda-ban-spreads-government-made-news-to-americans/

That alone should prompt you to seek out various news sources.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Prayerful

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on July 13, 2018, 05:13:57 PM
If you're on the right, FNN is trustworthy, although they are hardly conservative, they just seem so compared to other media.
If you're on the left, CNN, et. al, is trustworthy. 
Both pander to their audiences but they are two sides of the same coin. 

It is indeed intellectually diminishing, not to mention humiliating - you're being played like a violin. 
See thread:
https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=19738.0

Remember what happened in the US in 2012?

QuoteU.S. Repeals Propaganda Ban, Spreads Government-Made News to Americans
For decades, a so-called anti-propaganda law prevented the U.S. government's mammoth broadcasting arm from delivering programming to American audiences. But on July 2, that came silently to an end with the implementation of a new reform passed in January. The result: an unleashing of thousands of hours per week of government-funded radio and TV programs ...
http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/07/14/u-s-repeals-propaganda-ban-spreads-government-made-news-to-americans/

That alone should prompt you to seek out various news sources.

Foreign Policy is perhaps the least trustworthy source possible, but the point does stand.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

longstrangetrip5

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 13, 2018, 04:30:23 PM

what if all the sources are untrustworthy?

what if what Jesus said is true: that most people do not end up in Heaven (paraphrase). The saints say hardly any adults make it. Revelation says all liars will end up in the Lake of Fire.. So if all these people are lying.. well, that means they are "normal" human beings

and normal is good, isn't it? even if it gets you to Hell?

just wondering..

-

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: longstrangetrip5 on July 14, 2018, 08:37:27 AM

What if all that we collectively know as a race about human existence, history, science, philosophy, etc., is a lie?

What if our brains are just being fed an illusion of reality by a giant computer and we're all living trapped inside cocoons à la Matrix?

I mean, the possibilities are endless once you step into that kind of rabbit hole. Piece of advice? Don't step into it.

longstrangetrip5

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 14, 2018, 09:00:49 AM
Quote from: longstrangetrip5 on July 14, 2018, 08:37:27 AM

What if all that we collectively know as a race about human existence, history, science, philosophy, etc., is a lie?

What if our brains are just being fed an illusion of reality by a giant computer and we're all living trapped inside cocoons à la Matrix?

I mean, the possibilities are endless once you step into that kind of rabbit hole. Piece of advice? Don't step into it.
i was being half-facetious

was trying to make the point that you can't trust anyone so you might as well trust.. well, what you trust viscerally --

Jacob

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 14, 2018, 09:00:49 AM

I would be willing to entertain the thought that I am the unwitting star of my own TV show, watched by millions... The Jacob Show.

Somewhere out there, pretty girls wear on their sweaters buttons asking, "How's it going to end?"
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

longstrangetrip5

I am quite willing to believe that it is all an illusion, and nothing more, that I am a smelly, Wal-Mart-shopping nobody

yes, that is an illusion, fed to me by the powers that be.. or something

and the rich, get-away-with-anything folks in DC and environs are all just a figment of my (and Fox News') imagination.. yes, that is an illusion I could live with, which would cause no anxiety in me were I to be told I am not living in reality