Priest forgot to give me a penance

Started by Spooky, December 29, 2012, 05:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

So I finally went to Confession, finally. I had a lot of sins. So many, I think, the priest forgot to give me a penance. What should one do in this situation?

(everything else about the sacrament was normal i.e. Act of Contrition, Absolution etc)

Mithrandylan

Nothing.

If there's no penance, there's no penance.  Go and sin no more!
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Penelope

You can always do one on your own, of course. Rather here than in purgatory, right? This is something that I need to remember for myself more often.

Spooky

Quote from: Penelope on December 29, 2012, 05:46:21 PM
You can always do one on your own, of course. Rather here than in purgatory, right? This is something that I need to remember for myself more often.

Ain't that the truth! My son got a decade of the Rosary for a penance; I'll do that with him.

Kaesekopf

I read somewhere that one should be hesitant to do "more" than what is prescribed as a penance to avoid growing spiritually pride. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Eliza

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 29, 2012, 07:58:36 PM
I read somewhere that one should be hesitant to do "more" than what is prescribed as a penance to avoid growing spiritually pride.

Huh. That's interesting. I could see that being true. I suppose it depends on the penance, sometimes, don't you think? For example, last week my penance was to say 3 decades of the rosary, but I decided to say 5. May as well, I thought. I think that's alright.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Eliza on December 29, 2012, 08:03:46 PM

Huh. That's interesting. I could see that being true. I suppose it depends on the penance, sometimes, don't you think? For example, last week my penance was to say 3 decades of the rosary, but I decided to say 5. May as well, I thought. I think that's alright.

Haha, yes, understandable!

I think the condition on the recommendation was to avoid being like "Oh look at me, I am better than 'just' 5 Paters and Aves, I did 20!"
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

tmw89

I tend to say a few extra of the given prayer in case I've miscounted - which I know I am prone to do!  Better safe than sorry is my general philosophy.

So... yes, I say a few extra, but not so much out of pride as knowing I lose count easily.  Wow.  Sounds lame when I re-read it...
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Eliza

Quote from: tmw89 on December 29, 2012, 08:09:30 PM
I tend to say a few extra of the given prayer in case I've miscounted - which I know I am prone to do!  Better safe than sorry is my general philosophy.

So... yes, I say a few extra, but not so much out of pride as knowing I lose count easily.  Wow.  Sounds lame when I re-read it...

Ha, yes. I miscount all the time. Sometimes when i don't have my rosary with me, and I have some extra time on my hands and decide to say it, I'm pretty sure on some decades 13 or 14 Hail Mary's get said because I lose track and want to make sure I said the full 10.

Penelope

Quote from: Eliza on December 29, 2012, 08:27:08 PM

Ha, yes. I miscount all the time. Sometimes when i don't have my rosary with me, and I have some extra time on my hands and decide to say it, I'm pretty sure on some decades 13 or 14 Hail Mary's get said because I lose track and want to make sure I said the full 10.

Haha, yeah, I do this, too.

poche

Be greatful to God in His mercy and sin no more.

kayla_veronica

I read that too, but what I took from it that the mentality of "the priest didn't give me enough of a penance, I have to do more," was being called out. We can do penance without even going to confession by offering our sufferings up, etc. We all of have temporal punishment to serve and like Penelope said, better to do it here than in purgatory.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Cesar_Augustus

A couple of years ago I read that one has to ask for penance in case that we are not given one. Is relieving to read that one doesn't need to worry about the lack of penance. If only I knew that some months ago.

tmw89

Quote from: Cesar_Augustus on December 30, 2012, 12:16:41 PM
A couple of years ago I read that one has to ask for penance in case that we are not given one. Is relieving to read that one doesn't need to worry about the lack of penance. If only I knew that some months ago.

Can you recall the book you'd read, Cesar?
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Cesar_Augustus

Quote from: tmw89 on December 30, 2012, 03:47:13 PM
Quote from: Cesar_Augustus on December 30, 2012, 12:16:41 PM

Can you recall the book you'd read, Cesar?

It wasn't in a book. It was in a spanish Catholic forum.