Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Prayerful on December 12, 2020, 05:50:46 PM
I wonder if a few nearly disused or very lightly used forums be closed. It might help to give a greater sense of activity in the other sections. Maybe.

Merging is a good idea. Keeps it simple and will encourage more activity.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Philip G.

Merging is a terrible idea.  CI is the total opposite of this place.  It states it was founded on the idea that theoretically no discussion is off limits.  However, that is not accurate.  It should be characterized as no "popular" discussion is off limits.  Unpopular forbidden opinions/discussion, even if they are arguable/reasonable, have been moderated with severity over there.  What has the result of the free for all been?  Sedevacantists and feeneyites have overrun the joint.  CI has no rules, and the cult of the moderator grows as he over extends himself in its regards.  Is that by design?  One wonders. 

On this forum, there are rules.  As a result, it seems to me that Kaesekopf does not have to moderate to an unreasonable extent.  Some people complain about it.  But, I like it. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Miriam_M

Quote from: Philip G. on December 12, 2020, 11:17:12 PM
Merging is a terrible idea.  CI is the total opposite of this place.   

I'm not positive, but I think what they mean is deleting or merging some of the sub-forums on SD (because of low activity). 

GiftOfGod

Merging is a terrible idea.  CI is the total opposite of this place.  It states it was founded on the idea that theoretically no discussion is off limits.  However, that is not accurate.  It should be characterized as no "popular" discussion is off limits.  Unpopular forbidden opinions/discussion, even if they are arguable/reasonable, have been moderated with severity over there.  What has the result of the free for all been?  Sedevacantists and feeneyites have overrun the joint.  CI has no rules, and the cult of the moderator grows as he over extends himself in its regards.  Is that by design?  One wonders. 

On this forum, there are rules.  As a result, it seems to me that Kaesekopf does not have to moderate to an unreasonable extent.  Some people complain about it.  But, I like it.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Nobody is recommending that SD merge with CI.
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Philip G.

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 13, 2020, 01:39:19 AM

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Nobody is recommending that SD merge with CI.

Who said I was responding to you?  Mind your own business.

Quote from: andy on December 10, 2020, 10:33:24 PM
Idea for an improvement: merge with cathinfo.

But seriously - who/what is a typical reader/audience here?

In case, this place is shut down - would it be possible to open source the archive of this, so a lot if interesting discussions of past are not lost?
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Prayerful

Edit: I didn't suggest a forum merger, Andy did, just that some sections could be combined. I know the phrase 'useless duplication' is ominous for Catholics, but maybe archiving some sections ad experimentum, maybe.

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 12, 2020, 08:41:29 PM
I wonder if a few nearly disused or very lightly used forums be closed. It might help to give a greater sense of activity in the other sections. Maybe.

Merging is a good idea. Keeps it simple and will encourage more activity.

I should have said forum sections.

Matthew probably has more sections, most of which aren't too active. The poor hearers of Fr Leonard Feeney SJ and later MICM are exiled to a little room, that is Feeneyite Gheeto there. Otherwise Matthew bans few save those who prove annoying. I see no great excess of sedes there. At least some places could get attention. For instance +Williamson does post his newsletter. I'm offering no dogmatic suggestion, but I think some disused sections could be archived.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Philip G. on December 13, 2020, 11:49:29 AM
Who said I was responding to you?  Mind your own business.

You should be quoting the post you are responding to the first time, not after you stir the pot and create confusion.

andy

Nobody is recommending that SD merge with CI.

As a mostly reader, of both CI, SD and few other sources - I wish that Catholics (those who pronounce faith in Catholic dogmas,  reject V2 and agree with the oath agains modernism) have a single place to exchange knowledge and thoughts. Obviously, I do not except them to agree on every single point, but at least to agree to disagree on still open issues.

Would specifically merging SD with CI achieve that goal? I am not sure.

BTW, what is the typical catholic denomination of SD audience? SSPX, (SSPX resistance I assume not), FSSP, conservative NO, TM fanclub?

Kaesekopf

Yes, this is a plan I have - merging and condensing the subforums down. 

If anyone has suggestions on how that would be done best, post 'em here or PM me! 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: andy on December 13, 2020, 08:28:11 PM
Nobody is recommending that SD merge with CI.

As a mostly reader, of both CI, SD and few other sources - I wish that Catholics (those who pronounce faith in Catholic dogmas,  reject V2 and agree with the oath agains modernism) have a single place to exchange knowledge and thoughts. Obviously, I do not except them to agree on every single point, but at least to agree to disagree on still open issues.

Would specifically merging SD with CI achieve that goal? I am not sure.

BTW, what is the typical catholic denomination of SD audience? SSPX, (SSPX resistance I assume not), FSSP, conservative NO, TM fanclub?
From being a long time member here, the impression I get is that the majority of the members are SSPX.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Miriam_M

Suggested Forum Improvement:
Longer time allowed for the initial modification of a post.  It must be something like 15 seconds, LOL.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 17, 2021, 02:48:19 PM
Should I just make an arguments only, anything goes, members-only sub forum dedicated to fighting with each other? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't agree with establishing an "anything goes" subforum, as this will only serve to bring out the worst of users.

But I do have a recommendation: An anonymous subform. A competing trad forum website has this and it does inspire a lot of posts with one caveat: it does require moderation. Otherwise, it does turn into "anything goes". The biggest problem with it is people starting anonymous threads threads that don't have any reason to be anonymous, so on that other website the anonymous subforum is the most active subforum on the entire forum. Another personal pet peeve is when people post anonymously and then immediately make another post under their user name apologizing for being anonymous.

If this idea is pursued, I would also recommend three related "child boards" in addition to the main anonymous subforum: one under the "Prayer Intentions" subforum, one under the "St. Joseph's Workbench" subforum, and one under "Mary's Garden" subforum.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Miriam_M on March 22, 2019, 11:18:22 AM
A separate sub-forum for Private Revelation.  Therein can be contained the volumes of spam posting regarding that. More importantly, however, users would see that it is not mainstream Catholicism, nor doctrine, and thus does not rise to the level of mandated belief and universally recommended piety.

Users could post there to their heart's content and in keeping with their apparently enormous amount of time to do so.
This is a great idea. I wish KK would do this as it would clean up a lot of sub forums.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

this page left intentionally blank

GiftOfGod