Nowt so strange as folk. Man suicides in stolen plane.

Started by Greg, August 11, 2018, 03:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Quote from: John Lamb on August 14, 2018, 07:59:41 AM
He certainly had a wife, and according to one youtube commentator who claims to have known him, he had children.

He mentions in passing in the audio I just listened to that he was on minimum wage; I don't know if that's true (it seems possible) or how much it influenced his actions, but it goes to show what the Church teaches about the necessity according to justice to pay a living wage, and what the bible says about grinding down the poor and denying the worker his wages being sins crying out to heaven for vengeance. Perhaps he felt guilty for not being able to provide for his family, who knows.

That dog ain't gonna hunt:

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Baggage-Handler-Salaries,-SeaTac-WA
QuoteHow much does a Baggage Handler make in SeaTac, WA?

The average salary for a Baggage Handler is $14.11 per hour in SeaTac, WA, which is 25% above the national average. Salary estimates are based on 115 salaries submitted anonymously to Indeed by Baggage Handler employees, users, and collected from past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months. The typical tenure for a Baggage Handler is less than 1 year.

4.1 stars from employees (pretty good, actually):
https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Alaska-Airlines/reviews?fcountry=US&floc=SeaTac%2C+WA&fjobtitle=Baggage+Handler

He made ~12/hour, which is 3 under the Seattle minimum wage of 15, but over the national.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/he-was-a-jokester-who-complained-about-his-job-but-friends-still-baffled-by-richard-russells-airplane-heist/

Further, that job came with perks like free air travel it seems:
https://heavy.com/news/2018/08/hannah-russell-wife-stolen-plane-crash/

For being "ground down", they were sure well traveled. Maybe I should get a job at SeaTac so I too could afford to take my family to France, Ireland, Alaska, etc.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Sockpuppet

He had made a video about how much he loved his job.

And although clearly depressed, he seemed like he was having a blast up there. As he said himself, he just had "a few screws loose." 

Shame. Listening to the audio he just seems like such a fun guy. Too bad he let his demons get to him. But that's what broke him. Not his job.

Gardener

Indeed. What I find most important about this entire event is the reality that if one sees themselves going down a path towards irrational actions via giving themselves over to irrational temptations, they need to get help prior to falling off the edge.

The video he made for his class seemed like he was a pretty good dude until the point he snapped. His wife was no hairy lipped, fat beast. Quite cute. He got to travel. He had goals.

What happened? I dunno. But it's not like he was exactly working 16 hours a day in one of Blake's "dark, satanic mills" for thin soup and a hovel.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

longstrangetrip5

Quote from: Gardener on August 23, 2018, 04:55:29 PM
Indeed. What I find most important about this entire event is the reality that if one sees themselves going down a path towards irrational actions via giving themselves over to irrational temptations, they need to get help prior to falling off the edge.

The video he made for his class seemed like he was a pretty good dude until the point he snapped. His wife was no hairy lipped, fat beast. Quite cute. He got to travel. He had goals.

What happened? I dunno. But it's not like he was exactly working 16 hours a day in one of Blake's "dark, satanic mills" for thin soup and a hovel.
just goes to once again show the old (hackneyed) saying that money can't buy happiness... money, good-looking spouses......