Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 06, 2015, 11:20:17 AM
I agree.  Long gone is the Church or decent Catholics supporting decently made films and Catholic works.

Just because something is "Christian" doesn't mean it has to suck.

The last authentically Catholic movie that made a splash was The Passion.

For Greater Glory was pretty good, although if I remember there are some issues regarding religious liberty.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Heinrich

Quote from: Archer on April 06, 2015, 04:45:10 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 06, 2015, 11:20:17 AM
I agree.  Long gone is the Church or decent Catholics supporting decently made films and Catholic works.

Just because something is "Christian" doesn't mean it has to suck.

The last authentically Catholic movie that made a splash was The Passion.

For Greater Glory was pretty good, although if I remember there are some issues regarding religious liberty.

I think that is how is was promoted around the latest Republican-whipped up Obama sucks propaganda. The Cristeros certainly wanted a Catholic state.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Archer

Absolutely. My comment was directed at the film's producers, certainly not at the Cristeros.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Archer

Quote from: LouisIX on April 06, 2015, 02:58:53 PM
Yes, this is an insidious (albeit tempting) inclination.  The problem is that it necessarily waters down the richness and complexity of authentic Christianity.  And, on a purely anecdotal level, I find this to be a very unsuccessful conversion tactic.  The average non-Christian or apathetic American links Catholicism to all other forms of Protestantism.  They see a caricature of irrational and fideistic evangelism.  These people are right in viewing such nonsense as nonsense.  The goal ought to be to show them the distance between the True Faith and these heretical or superficial sects.

I couldn't agree with you more. What reason is there to convert if all that is required is to make a couple empty promises? Faith without works is a sham. There could only be a couple reasons for converting to protestantism - namely to check a box, (kind of like voting straight Republican), or for purely social reasons. Outside of a watered down version of the Bible there's just nothing else there. 

Jacob

Quote from: piabee on April 06, 2015, 02:39:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 06, 2015, 08:30:36 AM
Some movie I don't remember the name of that starred Emily Mortimer and Gerard Butler as a mom and a stranger respectively, the mom hiring the stranger to play dad for her son for a weekend since the real dad is out of the picture.

Dear Frankie! One of my favorites.

Yep.  I enjoyed it.  And the end was nice.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Deirdre

Quote from: Jacob on April 06, 2015, 05:45:44 PM
Quote from: piabee on April 06, 2015, 02:39:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 06, 2015, 08:30:36 AM
Some movie I don't remember the name of that starred Emily Mortimer and Gerard Butler as a mom and a stranger respectively, the mom hiring the stranger to play dad for her son for a weekend since the real dad is out of the picture.

Dear Frankie! One of my favorites.

Yep.  I enjoyed it.  And the end was nice.

I remember that movie! It was good! I'll have to hunt for it on Netflix and watch it again.
My Lord and my God.

LouisIX

Quote from: Archer on April 06, 2015, 04:55:40 PM
Absolutely. My comment was directed at the film's producers, certainly not at the Cristeros.

No!  The Cristeros were fighting for the God-given right of Muslims to open mosques in Mexico!
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Archer

Quote from: LouisIX on April 07, 2015, 10:09:39 AM

No!  The Cristeros were fighting for the God-given right of Muslims to open mosques in Mexico!

It appears I need to check my history, unless you're being sarcastic.

Jacob

I watched Juana la Loca (Mad Love in the US) last night.  I had only seen the last third of the movie the first time I saw it on IFC (back when IFC still showed serious movies) ~ten years ago.

The first two-thirds of the movie were...  Not what I was expecting.  :o

It isn't a bad movie, but it definitely has pacing issues and the motivations of certain characters aren't clear.  And there's a lot of sex.  As a costume drama, it's a beautiful movie and yeah, the last third of the movie is good.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Clare

Quote from: GeorgeT on April 06, 2015, 03:18:31 PM
Quote from: Clare on April 06, 2015, 06:25:54 AM
Flash Gordon
The 70s one? With QUEEN doing the soundtrack? That was so funny!
The very same!

"Flash! Flash! I love you, but we only have fourteen hours to save the earth!"
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

LouisIX

Quote from: Archer on April 07, 2015, 11:00:14 AM

I was being sarcastic.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the USCCB said something akin to the above.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Mattock

Quote from: Clare on April 07, 2015, 01:45:22 PM
Flash Gordon
The very same!

[yt]MS4_Z84-rRE[/yt]
For now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that doth not yield good fruit, shall be cut down, and cast into the fire.

Heinrich

Quote from: Clare on April 07, 2015, 01:45:22 PM
Flash Gordon
The very same!

Those viking dudes with wings were pretty cool.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

LoneWolfRadTrad

Quote from: LouisIX on April 07, 2015, 03:03:54 PM
Quote from: Archer on April 07, 2015, 11:00:14 AM

I was being sarcastic.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the USCCB said something akin to the above.

Yep.  The sacrifice of many being thrown on the wrong altar.  I wouldn't put it past the USCCB.