SSPX take over ICK church in San Jose CA

Started by ADMG, December 16, 2013, 05:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADMG

It would be interesting if anyone living in the area had more information, especially as to what terms the board has vis-a-vis the ICK that were so hard to agree to.

ICK San Jose page links to this letter from the local bishop, where he announces the suppression of the oratory and deplores the terms the board placed on the ICK which it couldn't consent to. The SSPX will supposedly start ministering in the church and the ICK will be moving into a nearby church and possibly be reduced to Sunday mass.

Chapel homepage still seems 100% indultist in nature - proclaiming its union with the local bishop, providing the full text of Summorum Pontificum etc.

RedCaves

Quote from: ADMG on December 16, 2013, 05:56:05 AM
It would be interesting if anyone living in the area had more information, especially as to what terms the board has vis-a-vis the ICK that were so hard to agree to.

ICK San Jose page links to this letter from the local bishop, where he announces the suppression of the oratory and deplores the terms the board placed on the ICK which it couldn't consent to. The SSPX will supposedly start ministering in the church and the ICK will be moving into a nearby church and possibly be reduced to Sunday mass.

Chapel homepage still seems 100% indultist in nature - proclaiming its union with the local bishop, providing the full text of Summorum Pontificum etc.

There used to be 13 Oratories/parishes that were under the operation of the Institute. Now, its only 12 after the one in Cashton, WI was canned recently. Apparently, it will only be 11 now?!

I read the letter and I am still wondering what internal conflicts could not be reconciled with the Institute. Defection from the Institute? What the heck is going on?!

Here's the website for the parish where they are in contact with: http://fivewoundschurch.org/

Here's another parish mentioned in the letter: http://www.ourmotherofperpetualhelp.us/
From what I could understand, it's an "illegal" Oratory?

I'm so confused  :-\

ADMG

Quote from: RedCaves on December 16, 2013, 07:49:11 AM

There used to be 13 Oratories/parishes that were under the operation of the Institute. Now, its only 12 after the one in Cashton, WI was canned recently. Apparently, it will only be 11 now?!

I read the letter and I am still wondering what internal conflicts could not be reconciled with the Institute. Defection from the Institute? What the heck is going on?!

Here's the website for the parish where they are in contact with: http://fivewoundschurch.org/

Here's another parish mentioned in the letter: http://www.ourmotherofperpetualhelp.us/

Actually they'll still have an "oratory" inside the Five Wounds parish (canon law  :tongue:). The actions of the parish council have caused the bishop to declare them in "schism". The church in question looks rather small from the outside, probably not one of the ICKs larger apostolates.

RedCaves

Quote from: ADMG on December 16, 2013, 07:53:14 AM
Quote from: RedCaves on December 16, 2013, 07:49:11 AM

Actually they'll still have an "oratory" inside the Five Wounds parish (canon law  :tongue:). The actions of the parish council have caused the bishop to declare them in "schism". The church in question looks rather small from the outside, probably not one of the ICKs larger apostolates.

Soooo.... Five Wounds Church is the new location or is it at St. Clare's?

Archer

Quote"Because recent internal matters related to the governance of the Oratory could not be resolved in a way that is satisfactory to the Institute, the Institute has now Withdrawn from its ministry to the Oratory. I Wrote to the Oratory's Board of Directors and, through the board, to lay faithful who are members there, requesting them to reconsider this action by which they would be separating themselves from union with the Church. The board, however, did not rescind its previous decision. Consequently, l must now suppress the Oratory, removing its canonical status as an established and recognized Roman Catholic community in the Diocese of San Jose."

This is the meat of the letter.  So what decision can a Board of Directors (presumably made up of lay people?) make that would separate themselves from the Church? What were the internal matters that could not be resolved in a way satisfactory to the Institute? Did it have something to do with the Society? Perhaps offering them another location to say Mass? Although the SSPX already has a strong presence in Los Gatos which is a little less than 20 minutes away so I'm not sure how likely that is.  Just guessing at this point. 

I have been to Mass there.  It is a tiny church that can probably hold no more than 50 people comfortably.  We ended up standing in the back or outside due to overflow.  I know the Institute Priest so maybe I'll send him an email.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

erin is nice

Quote from: Archer on December 16, 2013, 11:34:30 AM
This is the meat of the letter.  So what decision can a Board of Directors (presumably made up of lay people?) make that would separate themselves from the Church? What were the internal matters that could not be resolved in a way satisfactory to the Institute? Did it have something to do with the Society? Perhaps offering them another location to say Mass? Although the SSPX already has a strong presence in Los Gatos which is a little less than 20 minutes away so I'm not sure how likely that is.  Just guessing at this point. 

The problem is that the church is owned by a small group of laymen who want to call the shots. The Institute did not want the laity in control of what they did or did not do (for obvious reasons), so they withdrew.

After the ICK withdrew, the laymen who own the church decided to bring in the SSPX. The SSPX priest will probably end up leaving as well, because they don't take too kindly to being bossed around by the laity either.

Bonaventure

I have yet to run tabs on this. Well, time to contact my intel sources in the Valley.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bonaventure

I read the letter, and what a pathetic document it is. McGrath, who is a modernist, starts it off claiming he brought the OLPH people "into communion." He then cites the usual New Church stance against the SSPX, and makes it known how much he truly "regrets" having the SSPX come in.

The new, "regularized" Latin Mass church, Five Wound, is a magnificent church. I remember going there years ago. However, the ICKSP priest who said Mass down there (who LouisIX and others on this forum know) was booted out, and the Portuguese wanted the place to themselves. I guess that's changed.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

piabee

ADMG

Well the dubious boast of being in communion with the local bishop has dissapeared from the homepage and a link to the SSPX US homepage has been added. Progress!

Bonaventure

erin is nice

Quote from: ADMG on December 17, 2013, 03:49:04 PM
Well the dubious boast of being in communion with the local bishop has dissapeared from the homepage and a link to the SSPX US homepage has been added. Progress!

I don't think it's progress to have a church controlled by a bunch of laymen who are holding the purse strings. Is that Catholic? Or is it like the protestants who hire and fire pastors at will?

Bonaventure

Quote from: erin is nice on December 19, 2013, 10:15:00 AM
I don't think it's progress to have a church controlled by a bunch of laymen who are holding the purse strings. Is that Catholic? Or is it like the protestants who hire and fire pastors at will?

It's not a normal situation. It's not normal to go to a specific church for a specific Mass, rather than the local parish.

Elizabeth

Quote from: erin is nice on December 19, 2013, 10:15:00 AM

It is very very sketchy.  I also have witnessed unbelievable weirdness with regard to priests owning their own property, having all family members and relatives run everything.  Monstrous abuse of the idea of the holy priesthood.

Sockpuppet

There is nothing wrong with priests owning property unless they took a vow of poverty, which few do.

Nepotism is a scandal though.