Oil jobs

Started by james03, June 08, 2018, 01:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

200k deposit certainly takes the edge off a mortgage.

In addition, anyone turning up at 23 to 26 with two years in an oil field job screams, "I am not a lazy entitled millennial".

So one is going to find oneself invited to more job interviews than one would, had one not put oneself into that career choice in one's early twenties.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Gardener on June 08, 2018, 04:05:30 PM
...But the "h" is pronounced, so it would be "a". Unless you follow a cockney pronunciation and it's "an 'ouse".

a hat, an hour, etc.

Thank you Gardener, I forgot that rule! I knew there was a rule on the usage of an, but for the life of me could not remember it. Now, I'm gonna  get it right! Lol.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

diaduit

Is it a hotbed for degenerate men type of workplace? I've told my son about doing something like this in his 20s for a couple of years and get the price of a house out of it then he could relax in a 9/5 job and rear tons of.kids once you have no mortgage. But I've heard it's a very sinful environment!!
He hasn't an instinctual work ethic though.

Greg

All work places are more or less degenerate.  Thomson Reuters used to have 4 of the most disgusting whores of women talking in a degenerate fashion.  I knew the boss didn't care about their sordid office chat, so I told him it was affecting my sales efficiency and costing him about 50,000 in his annual bonus.

He fired 2 of them for some trumped up reason, and the other 2 shut up because I told them why I had complained.  Any stick is good enough to beat a dog with, and for me the end often DOES justify the means.  That's how shit gets done in the real world.

I heard the The Priestly Society of St. John was pretty degenerate too.  They didn't have naked ladies plastered on the wall or go to titty bars after a long shift, but they were sodmising seminarians and embezzling donor funds.

Sometimes the "respectable" people are the most degenerate of all.

Your son has to do something with his life.

Notice that the apostles went to Rome.  Which had whores on every street corner and gladiators for public entertainment.  They didn't start homesteads and hide away in the boonies.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Heinrich

Quote from: diaduit on July 04, 2018, 02:48:20 AM
Is it a hotbed for degenerate men type of workplace? I've told my son about doing something like this in his 20s for a couple of years and get the price of a house out of it then he could relax in a 9/5 job and rear tons of.kids once you have no mortgage. But I've heard it's a very sinful environment!!

Oh, my. And we wonder why trad boys never grow up? Where does your husband work?  What type of work built the great cities of USA and Europe? Teach your sons not to be shrinking violets. It is possible to work in a rough and tumble environment and not sin. James isn't talking about bouncing at a strip joint. That good coin, but a loss of soul. Being on the job site with with laboring men, as a brotherhood, has a virtue all its own. If conversations steer towards impurity, sooner or later, the guys will underrstand and cease if the best workers demonstrate resiliency and piety. They will earn respect and evanagelize by example. Let your boys go into the world and conquer it for Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

diaduit

Quote from: Heinrich on July 04, 2018, 01:43:35 PM
Quote from: diaduit on July 04, 2018, 02:48:20 AM

Oh, my. And we wonder why trad boys never grow up? Where does your husband work?  What type of work built the great cities of USA and Europe? Teach your sons not to be shrinking violets. It is possible to work in a rough and tumble environment and not sin. James isn't talking about bouncing at a strip joint. That good coin, but a loss of soul. Being on the job site with with laboring men, as a brotherhood, has a virtue all its own. If conversations steer towards impurity, sooner or later, the guys will underrstand and cease if the best workers demonstrate resiliency and piety. They will earn respect and evanagelize by example. Let your boys go into the world and conquer it for Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Hey of all the trad mamas I am one that does not believe in sheltering your kids from the world.  Mine go to school and hopefully they will have a good job/career so they can provide for their families if they get married.   DH and I do our best to toughen them up.  Having said that a 20 year old boy would have to have a solid faith and pure discipline to survive an environment such as the oil rigs etc.
Ive told my boys there will be no 'sissys' in this house. 
Our ds 14, was too soft in primary school and he was bullied by some kids in his class.  We organised one to one self defence classes from a trad mma fighter.  In first year of secondary school (13 yrs old) same crap started and the classes paid off.  He sorted it with a few punches during lunch hour one day and that settled it.  No problems since.
He has just done a 3 week stint in the Gaeltacht , (Irish speaking college 80 miles away) to improve his Irish ability.  While other mamas were organising their kids to go with friends , mine went on his own, while other mamas were getting phonecalls about wanting to leave, mine told me he was loving it.  He got one bout of homesickness but told himself to cop on and he got over it.

No sissys allowed here.

Greg

That's the key.  Teach kids to fight.  A few skills in MMA or boxing will see off 95% of bullies and the other 5% will at least respect you for breaking their skin open.

Most kids are too lazy to bother skilling up in anything and parents are too anti-violence.

My 13 year old boy is trained by the local Ghurkas and they are entering him into his first amateur boxing fight soon.  An autistic boy was being picked on at school and my son jumped on the bully and beat him to bruises.  As the autistic boy backed him up and told the headmaster what happened, he didn't get into much trouble.

Now he's "the mad Russian" and nobody is going to touch him.

Heinrich

I like the direction this thread is taking. Thank you Greg and Diaduit for the anecdotes.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bonaventure

Every job is full of degenerate people. Church jobs even more so.

I spent my 4th with my confessor and another trad diocesan priest. Drank and ate pizza with them and my wife for about 5 hours. You won't believe the sordid shit they know. One of my best bud's has a bishop for a brother. Same thing.

Here is something I saw myself at a "conservative" Catholic school in a "conservative" state. Campus minister, who is a neocon/trad, btw, started banging another young, fit teacher. She wasn't Catholic. Knocked her up actually, and the woman aborted.

Another guy, lukewarm Catholic, started banging the religion teacher. She was actually quite neocon, and went to one of those colleges that are hubs of neoconservatism (think ave Maria, CUA, Franciscan). She got pregnant, and aborted their kid. It was her second abortion, actually, because when she was a teen, her uncle raped her and her "devout" Catholic father drove her to planned parenthood. Did I mention she was a postulant in a religious order too?

Oh, well those are just Novus Ordo people, one might say. Nope! I worked at a "trad" school, used the Baltimore catechism, TLM every week, and guess what! Corrupt and incompetent as hell. Cronyism and nepotism ruled the day. Zero academic standards (sixth graders who don't know their multiplication tables). Kids sexting, selling weed at school, insane truancy (covering up for kids who missed 60 days of school), and I can go on. All Father cared about was saying his Mass, and the kids "knew their faith." They sure did not.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Greg

Results baby.  Results.

It's the only way to measure the success of anything.

diaduit

Quote from: Bonaventure on July 05, 2018, 09:24:11 AM
Every job is full of degenerate people. Church jobs even more so.

I spent my 4th with my confessor and another trad diocesan priest. Drank and ate pizza with them and my wife for about 5 hours. You won't believe the sordid shit they know. One of my best bud's has a bishop for a brother. Same thing.

Here is something I saw myself at a "conservative" Catholic school in a "conservative" state. Campus minister, who is a neocon/trad, btw, started banging another young, fit teacher. She wasn't Catholic. Knocked her up actually, and the woman aborted.

Another guy, lukewarm Catholic, started banging the religion teacher. She was actually quite neocon, and went to one of those colleges that are hubs of neoconservatism (think ave Maria, CUA, Franciscan). She got pregnant, and aborted their kid. It was her second abortion, actually, because when she was a teen, her uncle raped her and her "devout" Catholic father drove her to planned parenthood. Did I mention she was a postulant in a religious order too?

Oh, well those are just Novus Ordo people, one might say. Nope! I worked at a "trad" school, used the Baltimore catechism, TLM every week, and guess what! Corrupt and incompetent as hell. Cronyism and nepotism ruled the day. Zero academic standards (sixth graders who don't know their multiplication tables). Kids sexting, selling weed at school, insane truancy (covering up for kids who missed 60 days of school), and I can go on. All Father cared about was saying his Mass, and the kids "knew their faith." They sure did not.

Wow that's degenerate 😞

Greg

The worse of the two fired was Irish.

diaduit

Quote from: Greg on July 05, 2018, 01:57:17 PM
The worse of the two fired was Irish.

Oh we're not short of spoilt selfish brats here.

james03

Yes, it can be wild in the off hours.  The men on my son's crew wanted to hire him a prostitute.  He told them he was Catholic and didn't do that.  One of the guys told him that was good and he should keep living that life.  It was an opportunity to witness for Christ.

He did make some mistakes, being naive to the ways of women. 

He told his sister about the incident. 

Sister of course had to tell this juicy bit of gossip to his mama.  Which of course I then had to hear about.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"