Board Games

Started by Lyubov, January 02, 2013, 12:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elliott

Quote from: tmw89 on January 02, 2013, 01:41:56 PM
Is it just me, or does Monopoly have an odd tendency to bring out the worst in people?  Nearly every time I've played, people either walk away with bad feelings or the board goes airborne an hour to ninety minutes in.

As a kid my older brother always beat me at monopoly. When he asked at the beginning of each game if he could be the embezzler, I'd say yes thinking he meant banker.  >:(

OCLittleFlower

This makes me want to play board games tonight...
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Hat And Beard

When I lived in another city, my favorite pizza/beer joint had a set of Trivial Pursuit from the 1950's at every table(it was a very hipster establishment). A lot of the questions were really dated, but my friends were always shocked how many of them I knew.  ;D

OCLittleFlower

There's a cafe near my parents' place that has the cards from the 80s version.  They put some of the cards in one of those sugar packet holders, and you can do the trivia questions as you wait for your food. 

tmw89

Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Eliza

Quote from: Elliott on January 03, 2013, 07:42:50 AM
Quote from: tmw89 on January 02, 2013, 01:41:56 PM
Is it just me, or does Monopoly have an odd tendency to bring out the worst in people?  Nearly every time I've played, people either walk away with bad feelings or the board goes airborne an hour to ninety minutes in.

As a kid my older brother always beat me at monopoly. When he asked at the beginning of each game if he could be the embezzler, I'd say yes thinking he meant banker.  >:(

Haha. Older siblings are so mean sometimes!

Ben

Can't believe no one's mentioned the king of board games: Scrabble!

Penelope

Quote from: Penelope on January 02, 2013, 01:39:26 AM
Catan, Scrabble, Scattergories, and not Monopoly. I hate Monopoly.

Ahem.

Ben

totiusque

Quote from: Ben on January 04, 2013, 05:27:28 PM

I'm equally shocked that no one has mentioned two of the great thinking games of the past century - Candyland and Chutes & Ladders.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: totiusque on January 04, 2013, 08:20:23 PM
Quote from: Ben on January 04, 2013, 05:27:28 PM

I'm equally shocked that no one has mentioned two of the great thinking games of the past century - Candyland and Chutes & Ladders.

I found my Candyland set in the game closet at my parents' house the other day.  I am amazed that I didn't find it insanely creepy as a child.
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Kaesekopf

Did someone say.... Candyland?.....
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

OCLittleFlower

Mithrandylan

Risk, hands down.  Play it online for free: conquerclub.com

Battleship sucks, has always sucked.

Monopoly is pretty good, though I agree it brings out the worst in people.

I also love stratego.

Scrabble is pretty good.

What about sequence?  Haven't played in a while but I remember it being a lot of fun.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 04, 2013, 11:39:48 PM
What about sequence?  Haven't played in a while but I remember it being a lot of fun.

Yessss.  Sequence is excellent.
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--