Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Liam Neeson made TPM watchable, but AOTC... wow, what a stinker. I remember thinking it was better than TPM when it was first released, but not anymore. Without the great music and one or two good scenes, the movie would be almost unwatchable.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Michael Wilson

Yes,  the first three Star War episodes where much better that the last three "prequels"; Lucas lost his touch. Perhaps with a new team producing the up-coming episodes, the franchise will recover its path.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Mono no aware

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

tmw89

Floating Clouds (1955).
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Larry

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 20, 2014, 08:24:59 AM
Yes,  the first three Star War episodes where much better that the last three "prequels"; Lucas lost his touch. Perhaps with a new team producing the up-coming episodes, the franchise will recover its path.

Watched Revenge of the Sith tonight. Much better than the other two. I'm looking forward to Episode VII.

Larry

The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. ESB is nearly flawless; everything in ROTJ with Luke, Vader and the Emperor is golden, and the space battle is incredible. But those Ewoks are every bit as annoying as Jar Jar.

Adeodatus

Quote from: Larry on June 21, 2014, 09:11:21 PM
The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. ESB is nearly flawless; everything in ROTJ with Luke, Vader and the Emperor is golden, and the space battle is incredible. But those Ewoks are every bit as annoying as Jar Jar.

Ewoks must be frightfully strong. They penetrate stormtrooper armor with mere sticks and stones. If 'armor' doesn't protect against sticks and stones (the most elementary conceivable armaments) then in what sense can it be called "armor" at all?

Lowest bidder indeed.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

Gerard

I remember seeing Return of the Jedi (originally titled Revenge of the Jedi) in the theater and early on in the movie, I thought, "This has become the Muppet Show."  I actually remember heckling the movie ( I was a teenager :) ) when Vader's helmet came off I said, "Put it back."  Thank God the audience roared with laughter.  Come to think of it, that's probably where my love of MST3K and Rifftrax comes from. 

Archer

Quote from: Larry on June 19, 2014, 01:32:48 PM
The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Liam Neeson made TPM watchable, but AOTC... wow, what a stinker. I remember thinking it was better than TPM when it was first released, but not anymore. Without the great music and one or two good scenes, the movie would be almost unwatchable.

Liam Neeson makes TPM ok. AOTC is so lame it's basically unwatchable. The only reason to put in the time is for story continuity to get you to Revenge of the Sith, which was actually decent.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Aquila

Quote from: Adeodatus on June 21, 2014, 11:52:18 PM

Ewoks must be frightfully strong. They penetrate stormtrooper armor with mere sticks and stones. If 'armor' doesn't protect against sticks and stones (the most elementary conceivable armaments) then in what sense can it be called "armor" at all?

Lowest bidder indeed.

In the original script the Ewoks were supposed to be Wookies, which would have made way more sense.
Extra SSPX Nulla Salus.
Dogmatic Sedeplenist.

Michael Wilson

Yes, the Ewoks were dumb; now Wookies would have been awesome!

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Larry

Quote from: Gerard on June 22, 2014, 09:31:32 AM

I remember seeing Return of the Jedi (originally titled Revenge of the Jedi) in the theater and early on in the movie, I thought, "This has become the Muppet Show."  I actually remember heckling the movie ( I was a teenager :) ) when Vader's helmet came off I said, "Put it back."  Thank God the audience roared with laughter.  Come to think of it, that's probably where my love of MST3K and Rifftrax comes from.

I saw it when it came out too(also a teenager at the time) and I remember some people being really annoyed by all of the goofy creatures at Jabba's palace.  Except for the stuff with the Emperor, I think this is one of the weaker films in the series. Revenge of the Sith is much better, despite occasional clunky dialogue and bad line deliveries.

Michael Wilson

Yes, over-all the "return of the Jedi" was the weakest of the original three films.  But still pretty good.

Heinrich

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 22, 2014, 01:54:48 PM
Yes, over-all the "return of the Jedi" was the weakest of the original three films.  But still pretty good.

Ewoks are creepy.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.