Traditional Femininity

Started by Tales, November 10, 2017, 07:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCLittleFlower

Any good examples of traditional femininity in fiction for grade school girls?  We read a lot of classics, but even they can seem a little too feminist, depending.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Sophia3

Quote from: Maximilian on November 28, 2017, 11:48:30 AM
Quote from: Carleendiane on November 28, 2017, 11:38:23 AM
Quote from: Sophia3 on November 28, 2017, 10:40:21 AM
This might not be what you are looking for, but I loved reading Jane Eyre

I LOVED JAYNE EYRE. Just sayin. It was a beautiful story. Though fiction, I would love to know her.

One person who did not love Charlotte Bronte was the saintly Father Faber.

Growth in Holiness
Chapter: Spiritual Idleness

Such a habit should be regarded by parents and guardians with the
greatest horror, and met by prompt and even severe
remedies, remedies often amounting to temporary
separation. For this form of castle-building is the ruin
of after-life. It is the cause of a great amount of the
unhappiness in marriage. I can hardly think of a
habit of sin, which would frighten me more in young
people than this peculiar form of castle-building ; its
poison is so penetrating, so tenacious, and so long-lived.

Mrs. Gaskell's Life of Charlotte Bronte gives us a fearful
picture of the misery and ruin, which may come of
it even in its most favourable form, the form in which
self appears to mingle least.

A soul corrupted by this habit is the hotbed of every vice.
Sin grows in it; with almost visible rapidity, attains tropical
stature, and brings forth with tropical exuberance. So far as
future consequences are concerned, a boy or a girl might
as well read the vilest novels all day long, as have a
habit of thinking novels in their own heads. It would
require a distinct treatise to trace out in all their unsuspected
windings the deplorable contaminations of
this habit. We must try to believe that no evil habit
is incurable ; but are there many amongst us who have
had the comfort of knowing a case in which this habit
was actually and radically cured ?

Interesting, but it sounds like it is talking about the life of Charlotte Bronte rather than the story of Jane Eyre.

Bernadette

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on November 28, 2017, 04:47:40 PM
Any good examples of traditional femininity in fiction for grade school girls?  We read a lot of classics, but even they can seem a little too feminist, depending.
Little Women?
My Lord and my God.

Archer

Quote from: Bernadette on November 28, 2017, 05:51:53 PM
Little Women?

Lot's of feminism in Little Women, in particular Jo's character. Alcott herself was an outspoken feminist, as well as the daughter of a transcendentalist. Lots of a weird ideas.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Jayne

As I recall, What Katy Did and its sequels have good female role models.  But it has been a while so I may be overlooking something.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Bernadette

Quote from: Archer on December 01, 2017, 11:30:45 AM
Little Women?

Lot's of feminism in Little Women, in particular Jo's character. Alcott herself was an outspoken feminist, as well as the daughter of a transcendentalist. Lots of a weird ideas.
Wow, I had no idea.
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Carleendiane on November 12, 2017, 09:53:50 PM
Feminine maternity,  is few and far between. Not common, not wortby, and not  expected. A woman is  not  expected from us. Woman is expected to be.

Wow^^^^^^did I say that, or was that my tablet correcting me, and I didn't catch it. That^^^^^makes zero sense  :rofl: :lol: :rofl:    I guess that's me....waxing profound!  :-[  :o  ;)
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Kephapaulos

Quote from: Archer on December 01, 2017, 11:30:45 AM
Little Women?

No wonder Katherine Hepburn starred in a film version of it then.

Carleendiane

Actually it is hard to find appropriate books for the tweens. Especially if they are well ahead in reading skilks. You want to challenge them a wee bit, but many of the books for adults, though morally clean, contain the element of romance, courtship, and marriage. This is a natural progression  when they have passed way above kiddie skills. But as my daughter says, kids need very little to incite their curiosity about the opposite sex. They may even fantasize about their future spouse. Again, that is very natural and part of the process of growing up. But, to nurture their fantasies, or bring   attention to this future norm for most of us, is a bit of a problem. You really can't control their thoughtlife, but you can choose not to feed it with this type of literature. They don't need romance to invade their still childish and immature thoughts. Does this make sense or is it a bit of hypervigilance? First tip off there may be a problem....."Mom, how do I get a boy to like me?",  asks your very sweet and innocent 12 year old.  :-\
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.