TV You're Watching

Started by piabee, August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Babylon Berlin. Not bad. Good for practicing your German. Watching Stalinists killing Trotskyites is always enjoyable.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Kaesekopf

I was watching some Olympics here and there, but I'm not as invested to go out of my way to watch it.

I do love watching curling, though.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

martin88nyc

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 27, 2018, 10:47:40 AM
I was watching some Olympics here and there, but I'm not as invested to go out of my way to watch it.

I do love watching curling, though.
really? I never liked it but they sound funny when they sweep the ice.  ;)
I love hockey, biathlon, speed skating, figure skating and ski jumping.
Also half pipe snowboarding is pretty "cool"
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

red solo cup

Just finished The Frankenstein Chronicles, seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix. Melodramatic and dumb. Nice to see Boromir though.

red solo cup

Wolf Hall from Masterpiece Theatre on Prime. Excellent.

red solo cup

To find decent movies one must do a certain amount of winnowing. This weeks chaff from Netflix.
Suburra: Blood on Rome. The very first scene was an orgy. That took care of that. Plus it was dumb.
Money Heist. Even worse than Suburra if that's possible.
J Edgar. DiCaprio wasn't bad but like the protagonist the movie was a self righteous bore.

red solo cup

Elizabeth I with Helen Mirren. Not bad.

Mono no aware

red solo cup, have you seen the documentary series Wild Wild Country on Netflix?  I think if you watch the first episode you'll be able to determine whether you want to watch all six.  I thought it was fascinating in a "truth is stranger than fiction" way, and binge-watched it over the course of two days.  I remember the food poisoning story in the news but none of the rest of it.  My favorite interviewee was a guy who looks like he could be David Crosby's runty little brother in overalls, but in the end he comes out as the sole voice of reason.  This review got me watching it.

red solo cup

I remember this guy collected Rolls'. Certainly worth a look.

red solo cup

DoNovAn with Tom Conti. Not bad. Lots of plot twists.

Jacob

The Terror on AMC, based on the Franklin Expedition.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

kayla_veronica

Has anyone watched the BBC War and Peace? I just watched part of the first episode so far, not sure if I'm a fan.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Maximilian

Quote from: kayla_veronica on April 05, 2018, 02:49:07 PM
Has anyone watched the BBC War and Peace? I just watched part of the first episode so far, not sure if I'm a fan.

It feels very British rather than Russian. Not terribly authentic, but still fun to watch, was my conclusion. Good to serve as an introduction to Tolstoy for kids who might find Sergei Bondarchuk's version intimidating.

kayla_veronica

Quote from: Maximilian on April 05, 2018, 03:10:16 PM

It feels very British rather than Russian. Not terribly authentic, but still fun to watch, was my conclusion. Good to serve as an introduction to Tolstoy for kids who might find Sergei Bondarchuk's version intimidating.

We started Sergei's version last night! Love it so far.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Maximilian

Quote from: kayla_veronica on April 05, 2018, 03:17:44 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on April 05, 2018, 03:10:16 PM

We started Sergei's version last night! Love it so far.

A great classic.