What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

Power and the Holy in the Age of the Investiture Conflict
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

PatrickG

Probably (to my mind) one of the greatest scholars of his day and one of the greatest authors ever to live. The Silmarillion is majestic as well. By the by, a devout Catholic.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: PatrickG on April 23, 2013, 10:55:30 AM

Probably (to my mind) one of the greatest scholars of his day and one of the greatest authors ever to live. The Silmarillion is majestic as well. By the by, a devout Catholic.

That looks good. I'm slowly working my way through the Silmarillion.  I think I'll have to reread LOTR after I finish.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Dom Passerini

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on April 23, 2013, 11:06:39 AM
Quote from: PatrickG on April 23, 2013, 10:55:30 AM

That looks good. I'm slowly working my way through the Silmarillion.  I think I'll have to reread LOTR after I finish.

Ooh, I haven't done much reading outside the Hobbit, LOTR, and the Silmarillion in years.  I think I have to get back to it!

Maryslittlegarden, how do you find the Silmarillion?  I think most people just quit but it really is fantastic.  Yeah, a lot of history and names, but he was such a gifted storyteller and the tales are so great.  What an imagination!

"Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father." (ch. 2)

and

"She spoke no word; but being filled with love Elwë came to her and took her hand, and straightway a spell was laid on him, so that they stood thus while long years were measured by the wheeling stars above them; and the trees of Nan Elmoth grew tall and dark before they spoke any word." (ch. 4)
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

maryslittlegarden

I started the Sillmarin a few years back and loved it.  I got too busy reading other stuff (I was in  the process of becoming Catholic at the time.)  I've started it up again and still think it's fantastic. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Der Kaiser

The Lobby Kevin B McDonald  its about the Jewish lobbiests that control our government.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

stitchmom

I borrowed Fabiola for my son but I might read it.
I checked out Pimsleur Spanish too.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

stitchmom

Quote from: Bonaventure on April 26, 2013, 03:11:11 PM
Quote from: stitchmom on April 26, 2013, 03:00:36 PM

Is it helping you?

I haven't used it yet. I did use the Dutch ones before and for conversation it's an excellent program.  I recommend it 100%. I found it more interesting than Rosetta Stone. It's so easy just play them in your car or when you exercise.

stitchmom

http://www.cfnews.org/Mercier-Modernism.htm  I read that the other night thanks to Gottmitunsalex  :)
It's a great read!!!!

tmw89

Partly in honor of what happened today in 1776, I've started reading the Abbe Barruel's Memoirs Illustrating the History of Jacobinism.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Mithrandylan

Quote from: tmw89 on May 01, 2013, 03:25:10 PM
Partly in honor of what happened today in 1776, I've started reading the Abbe Barruel's Memoirs Illustrating the History of Jacobinism.

Ah, it's Weishaupt day, isn't it?
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

tmw89

Quote from: Mithrandylan on May 01, 2013, 04:28:03 PM
Quote from: tmw89 on May 01, 2013, 03:25:10 PM

Ah, it's Weishaupt day, isn't it?

;D
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

peanut

Quote from: Bonaventure on April 26, 2013, 03:11:11 PM
Quote from: stitchmom on April 26, 2013, 03:00:36 PM

Is it helping you?

I started doing that but it became complicated after lesson 10 so I gave up. :(
Latest article: Corporate assessment centres - deranged products of mercantile delusion: http://bit.ly/16Nq0Tf

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney