Let's talk ticking

Started by Bernadette, February 04, 2017, 05:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Feather-proof ticking, not just downproof. I'm in search of heavy, close-weave ticking fabric in order to convert my featherbed from channel construction into baffle-box construction. This will be a massive undertaking, but I love a challenge. However, I've only found one kind of ticking that looks even close to what I'm looking for: http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/by+the+yard-+pillow+stripe+ticking+fabric.do and that's only 32" wide. My bed is 40" wide and I'd really like to keep those extra 8" if possible. I guess my best option is to order an extra 2 yards of fabric and make up the difference on each side? But that would make extra seams for the feathers to poke into...  :-\ Anybody have a source for wider ticking? Should I just use mid-weight canvas, or duckcloth? Or maybe make the casing out of a lighter-weight fabric, so that I'm still able to dislodge the feathers from the seams when they clump? That might be the best way to go: would solve both problems, actually, clumping and the width of the fabric.

NB: No parasite pictures, now.  :skeptical:
My Lord and my God.

Akavit

I've little idea what you're talking about but "canvas" jumped out at me and I do know where to find that available in a large variety of specifications.  My absolute favorite supplier with the world's best website carries it.

McMaster-Carr:Canvas

If 0.050" thick canvas is what you need, that's one place to get it.

An alternative is to utilize bullet-proof fabric on the assumption that feathers cannot penetrate a fiber that can resist high-velocity projectiles.  It's also quite expensive and I assume replacing lost feathers would be a whole lot cheaper than a kevlar bed.

McMaster-Carr: Kevlar Cloth

All this information probably misses the mark by a mile but this thread looked sort of lonely sitting here with zero responses and the Arts and Crafts sub-forum can always use a little extra traffic.  If nothing else, I'll have tricked several people into re-reading this thread.

Bernadette

:lol: I love this. "Need feather-proof fabric? Bullet-proof should work!"

Excellent website, too: so much useful stuff!!
My Lord and my God.

Chestertonian

I read this thread title as tickling
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Akavit

Quote from: Chestertonian on February 09, 2017, 12:15:21 PM

That's what happens when the ticking isn't up to snuff and the feathers poke through.

Bernadette

Quote from: Akavit on February 09, 2017, 07:29:16 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on February 09, 2017, 12:15:21 PM

That's what happens when the ticking isn't up to snuff and the feathers poke through.

Trust me, that's not tickling. That's just poking, and it's most undesirable.  :-\
My Lord and my God.