Tips on selling a car

Started by Heinrich, August 09, 2014, 12:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee in good condition that I want to sell. I have done the Craigslist thing but the only calls I get are the vultures who offer to sell it for you and take 75% of the selling price. I have a sign on it, but there is no insurance so we don't drive it anywhere and it is parked where not much traffic comes by. The local paper has a $50  per week cost, which we have not done yet. I would prefer to stay away from spending money to sell it, but it looks as if it is the only option now. Anyone with suggestions?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Habitual_Ritual

Email to work colleagues. Notice Board at the local stores.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Heinrich

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on August 09, 2014, 12:10:29 PM
Email to work colleagues. Notice Board at the local stores.

:doh: How modern, yet traditional.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kaesekopf

Post it at your church bulletin board.  Let coworkers know youre selling it.  Maybe a family has a teenager and they're looking to buy an affordable car for him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Heinrich

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 09, 2014, 12:16:42 PM
Post it at your church bulletin board.  Let coworkers know youre selling it.  Maybe a family has a teenager and they're looking to buy an affordable car for him.

I believe our priests would not agree to the marketing of goods and services. I have mentioned it to some families and so far no dice.

Kaesekopf

Aww

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Gardener

What's your price? Condition? Miles? Stick or Auto?

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Chestertonian

Ask your priest of anyone he knows needs a car
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Basilios

Wish you lived near me. My £500 Fiesta just failed it's MOT and after getting a second opinion I'm selling it for parts. I need a reliable car at a decent price because I am poor. You don't do international shipping by any chance... Then again I am not sure that the tax and insurance for a 98 Cherokee would be affordable either.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Greg

In the UK ebay motors is good.  If the car is genuinely good condition and you clean it up and show it off with plenty of pictures and it is a desirable model that has as following, then people will bid it up to more than you could get through the classified ads and that will cover the ebay cut.

Alternatively car magazines where your local traders advertise are good if a basic advert is less than 40 dollars.  General advertising is rubbish.  You need to attract people who are looking for cars, not tyre kicking idiots.

That they have spent a couple of dollars on a car magazine is good sign.

I sold used cars from home for nearly 20 years, as a hobby, and was very good at it.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Archer

I was also going to suggest ebay, although I know there's a fee.  Post a picture or link here? Maybe you'll get a bite.  Worst comes to worst you could always sell to a dealership and get a few bucks for it. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Greg

Dealers can generally buy super cheap cars through auctions and the trade network that non dealers don't have access to.  They will want to make at least 1500 dollars profit per car if they have business premises so given that the car is only worth 2000 bucks.

They only take your old car in part exchange for a "good price" if they are charging you 1000 too much on the car they are selling you.  Turn up with cash and you can negotiate a hefty discount on the retail of the newer car compare to part ex.

Few dealers are going to bother with a 16 year old car.  Not worth the hassle.  Backstreet dealers tend to sell cars like this.

If the car is really clean and tidy compared to other 1998 Cherokees then it will sell provided people know it exists.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

voxxpopulisuxx

(Ive sold dozens of cars over the years) how much are you asking?  Is it inspected?
If so Just Park it in a safe and visible spot with contact info and be patient....call your insurance company about test drives..they may have a rider.....if not try to park it in a large lot where you dont have to go on a public road. Always offer to allow prospects to take it to a legitimate auto shop close by to have it checked before purchasing (at their own expense of course) this builds trust (of course you will need alot of info from the prospect  and a cash deposit first)
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Heinrich

Quote from: Greg on August 10, 2014, 02:57:31 AM
In the UK ebay motors is good.  If the car is genuinely good condition and you clean it up and show it off with plenty of pictures and it is a desirable model that has as following, then people will bid it up to more than you could get through the classified ads and that will cover the ebay cut.

Alternatively car magazines where your local traders advertise are good if a basic advert is less than 40 dollars.  General advertising is rubbish.  You need to attract people who are looking for cars, not tyre kicking idiots.

That they have spent a couple of dollars on a car magazine is good sign.

I sold used cars from home for nearly 20 years, as a hobby, and was very good at it.

I remember you saying that some years ago on FE. You simply bought used clunkers and resold them, right?
Ebay bidding may be the way to go. I will give it a shot this week if I can squeeze in the time.

Greg

Try to advertise it for as long a possible, and lots of high quality pics showing off the car.  Give it a good clean and vac first.