TV You're Watching

Started by piabee, August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Othmar on August 02, 2013, 05:15:17 AM
Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 02, 2013, 05:03:37 AM
Quote from: Othmar on August 02, 2013, 04:35:16 AM
I'm currently watching both the IT Crowd (which people recommended to me after I watched Big Bang Theory and really disliked it) and Terry Jones' Medieval Lives. So far they're both quite good.

Big Bang Theory can be a bit vulgar at times, but I went to School with nerds just like those guys so I can relate. However I have never had a neighbor that looks like Penny so I can not relate to that.   8)
I'm rather like one of those guys, and the show's kinda insulting. It seems that being a geek/nerd is the punchline of every joke in the episodes I've watched. Basing myself on the laugh track, you're not supposed to laugh at the references (not that such lazy humour is actually funny), but simply because they say 'nerdish' stuff. And Sheldon is quite obviously a stereotypical Asperger without any redeeming qualities.

Read this.

http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory

The Big Bang Theory is just mocking nerds.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LouisIX on August 02, 2013, 01:56:31 PM
We don't have cable but do watch a decent amount of tv shows on Netflix and Hulu.  We watch Parks and Recreation and Breaking Bad, but with those shows on hiatus I've been watching Cheers lately.

Dude, Cheers is good.

You should watch Frasier after that.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 04, 2013, 06:57:29 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on August 04, 2013, 06:56:24 PM
Do you have an HDTV or a tube TV?  Because their eyes don't actually see the picture on an old style TV correctly.

An HDTV. The old cathode-ray tubes are forbidden from my house on pain of excommunication.

Do you not like that 60Hz hum?

Cesar_Augustus

I watched the first Arn movie in 2009, and recently saw some fragments of the second (?) one.

I didn't knew these where edited parts of a miniseries!

Der Kaiser

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 08, 2013, 08:17:10 PM
I'm currently watching both the IT Crowd (which people recommended to me after I watched Big Bang Theory and really disliked it) and Terry Jones' Medieval Lives. So far they're both quite good.

Big Bang Theory can be a bit vulgar at times, but I went to School with nerds just like those guys so I can relate. However I have never had a neighbor that looks like Penny so I can not relate to that.   8)
I'm rather like one of those guys, and the show's kinda insulting. It seems that being a geek/nerd is the punchline of every joke in the episodes I've watched. Basing myself on the laugh track, you're not supposed to laugh at the references (not that such lazy humour is actually funny), but simply because they say 'nerdish' stuff. And Sheldon is quite obviously a stereotypical Asperger without any redeeming qualities.

Read this.

http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory

They are doing a bad job of it then. All the girls I know think Sheldon is hot except for the one that prefers Leonard . I know some guys that aspire to be like them.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

LouisIX

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 08, 2013, 08:17:50 PM
We don't have cable but do watch a decent amount of tv shows on Netflix and Hulu.  We watch Parks and Recreation and Breaking Bad, but with those shows on hiatus I've been watching Cheers lately.

Dude, Cheers is good.

I definitely plan on it.

I don't know what it is about Cheers that I like so much.  It's not overly funny.  It's not exciting.  And it's not nostalgia, because I was only 6 or 7 when it ended, and never watched it as a child.  There's just something about the bar and the characters that I find comforting.  Watching Cheers puts me in a good mood.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Othmar

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 08, 2013, 08:17:10 PM

Read this.

That exactly described my feelings. Hmm, I'll see if I can find this Community the writer talks about.
Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 08, 2013, 09:25:33 PM
They are doing a bad job of it then. All the girls I know think Sheldon is hot except for the one that prefers Leonard . I know some guys that aspire to be like them.
I know a guy like that too, but he just wants to appear smarter than he actually is.

Der Kaiser

Quote from: LouisIX on August 09, 2013, 02:09:32 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 08, 2013, 08:17:50 PM

Dude, Cheers is good.

I definitely plan on it.

I don't know what it is about Cheers that I like so much.  It's not overly funny.  It's not exciting.  And it's not nostalgia, because I was only 6 or 7 when it ended, and never watched it as a child.  There's just something about the bar and the characters that I find comforting.  Watching Cheers puts me in a good mood.

Frasier is one of my all time favorites.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Der Kaiser

I watched some of one of my favorites today: King of the Hill. Absolutely my favorite animated show.

Lyubov

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 09, 2013, 05:22:19 AM
I watched some of one of my favorites today: King of the Hill. Absolutely my favorite animated show.

Love this show.
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

Othmar

I'm finally catching up with Game of Thrones, season 3 is airing now.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Othmar on August 09, 2013, 07:25:39 AM

Have you read the books as well?

And one more for Breaking Bad fans: there's a free digital comic that recaps the entire series up to this point on AMC's website. NOT to be used as a substitute for actually watching the show!

http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad/all-bad-things

Othmar

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 09, 2013, 12:31:37 PM

I've considered it, but I don't think I'll be finding them second hand any time soon, and I can't bring myself to spend serious money on softcovers, which is what most stores seems to carry here. The last time I've spend serious money on a non-study related book was on a leatherbound copy of Lord of the Rings a year or two ago. Perhaps they'll have editions like that for A Song of Ice and Fire as well, once the writer finishes his series.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Othmar on August 09, 2013, 01:31:16 PM
Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 09, 2013, 12:31:37 PM

I've considered it, but I don't think I'll be finding them second hand any time soon, and I can't bring myself to spend serious money on softcovers, which is what most stores seems to carry here. The last time I've spend serious money on a non-study related book was on a leatherbound copy of Lord of the Rings a year or two ago. Perhaps they'll have editions like that for A Song of Ice and Fire as well, once the writer finishes his series.

I have a couple of solutions: first is the old-fashioned way by checking them out at a local public library. I created a library account for myself just last week. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Second option: buy from an online used bookseller. This one, for example, sells the first book at only $1, plus $2.75 for shipping. I use the AbeBooks used book finder all the time. If you spend a little more time searching, you may be able to buy several books in the series from the same seller while paying only one shipping charge. So in theory, you could potentially buy five books for, say, $8 to $10.

:edited to add: I just remembered that you're not American, so shipping will not be the same. You might, however, find similar deals in your region. I also don't know if you prefer to read in the original English or in translation. So those are more variables.

piabee

I have two episodes of Breaking Bad left! Been hearing a lot lately about a British show call Broadchurch which just started airing on BBCA this past week. I set it to record at my parents' house for laundry days so I'll let you know how it is.

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 08, 2013, 09:25:33 PMAll the girls I know think Sheldon is hot except for the one that prefers Leonard .

Your friends are weird. Sheldon is hilarious but how could anyone consider an overgrown child attractive?

Quote from: Othmar on August 09, 2013, 03:11:00 AMHmm, I'll see if I can find this Community the writer talks about.

Highly recommended.

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 09, 2013, 01:45:01 PMI created a library account for myself just last week. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

:rofl: :lol: :grin: :eek: I've had a library card since before I could read. There are four systems that I can easily access (Alameda County, Berkeley, Oakland, Contra Costa County) and a few farther out that I check occasionally. They get almost all the new cds.