49 Days
Pinocchio

Movies:
War of the Arrows
Le Grand Chef
Le Grand Chef - Kimchi Battle
Doenjang

Thanks!

These series really tug at your heart. They are shameless about making you cry. They must have test audiences, and if they see they aren't sobbing, then they tell the director to go back and re-shoot it. They also make you laugh a lot too. Koreans turn out to have a surprisingly good sense of humor.

That's what drama is supposed to do, as explained by Aristotle. But modern American productions are too sophisticated to stoop to the level of making you laugh and making you cry. They want to be ironic.

Irony is the one thing that you won't find in Korean drama. Guaranteed to be irony-free, they wear their heart on their sleeves.

Cesar_Augustus

Quote from: Maximilian on January 26, 2015, 07:17:20 PM
Quote from: Cesar_Augustus on January 26, 2015, 07:09:14 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on January 26, 2015, 07:07:24 PM
Historical Drama series:
Dong-Yi
Queen Seon Duk
Jumong

Modern Drama series:
Shining Inheritance
49 Days
Pinocchio

Movies:
War of the Arrows
Le Grand Chef
Doenjang

Thanks!

These series really tug at your heart. They are shameless about making you cry. They must have test audiences, and if they see they aren't sobbing, then they tell the director to go back and re-shoot it. They also make you laugh a lot too. Koreans turn out to have a surprisingly good sense of humor.

That's what drama is supposed to do, as explained by Aristotle. But modern American productions are too sophisticated to stoop to the level of making you laugh and making you cry. They want to be ironic.

Irony is the one thing that you won't find in Korean drama. Guaranteed to be irony-free, they wear their heart on their sleeves.

That sounds good!

Irony in some series is tiring... some authors are very pretentious.

Bernadette

Quote from: Maximilian on January 26, 2015, 07:17:20 PM
Quote from: Cesar_Augustus on January 26, 2015, 07:09:14 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on January 26, 2015, 07:07:24 PM
Historical Drama series:
Dong-Yi
Queen Seon Duk
Jumong

Modern Drama series:
Shining Inheritance
49 Days
Pinocchio

Movies:
War of the Arrows
Le Grand Chef
Doenjang

Thanks!

I tried to watch a Korean series called One Hundred Years' Inheritance on Netflix, after watching a Chinese series and really enjoying it, but I found it to be too melodramatic and unbelievable. I'll give the Pinocchio one a try.

I've been watching a Japanese series on Youtube called Oshin. Apparently, it has quite a cult following. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshin

My grandma had loads of old Japanese historical series on VHS, but they didn't have any subtitles so I couldn't watch them. If anyone knows where to find any with English subtitles, I'd really appreciate it.
My Lord and my God.

zork

Quote from: piabee on January 26, 2015, 06:07:27 PM
Quote from: zork on January 25, 2015, 10:07:59 PM
On the back burner:

Revenge Season 2

You might as well give up now while you're ahead.

Sigh.

I was afraid that might the case with this series...
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Maximilian

Quote from: Bernadette on January 26, 2015, 07:39:08 PM

I've been watching a Japanese series on Youtube called Oshin. Apparently, it has quite a cult following. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshin

That sounds fascinating.

Quote from: Bernadette on January 26, 2015, 07:39:08 PM

My grandma had loads of old Japanese historical series on VHS, but they didn't have any subtitles so I couldn't watch them. If anyone knows where to find any with English subtitles, I'd really appreciate it.

You'll have to brush up on your Japanese.

piabee

Quote from: zork on January 26, 2015, 09:07:41 PM
Sigh.

It was fun for the first half of season 1. They've killed off so many people at this point it's like a whole different show.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: piabee on January 26, 2015, 11:11:44 PM
Quote from: zork on January 26, 2015, 09:07:41 PM
Sigh.

It was fun for the first half of season 1. They've killed off so many people at this point it's like a whole different show.

Sounds like Game of Thrones
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

zork

Interesting. I'm halfway through Season 2 and it seems they're loath to kill off almost anyone.

Not that I'm doubting you, Pia--I'm just mentioning this for the irony, because my most recent impression thus far before hearing (well, reading) your view is that people on that show keep on apparently dying and then immediately show up again more or less unscathed.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Apollonia

Quote from: Maximilian on January 25, 2015, 11:17:16 PM

http://www.dramafever.com/drama/4544/Pinocchio/

Korean Drama "Pinocchio"

It's all about telling the truth versus lying, and their unforseen consequences.

It says it's not yet available in my country. Are there other places I could get it from?

Maximilian

Quote from: Apollonia on January 27, 2015, 01:02:24 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on January 25, 2015, 11:17:16 PM

http://www.dramafever.com/drama/4544/Pinocchio/

Korean Drama "Pinocchio"

It's all about telling the truth versus lying, and their unforseen consequences.

It says it's not yet available in my country. Are there other places I could get it from?

Here's another source for Korean dramas:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/videos/drama/alpha

They don't have Pinocchio yet. It's probably too soon since it's a new series that just concluded. They do have some of the other dramas on the list above, like Dong-Yi and Jumong.

Here's another site which looks like it is more international and not aimed just at the United States. They do have "Pinocchio" available. For Pinocchio it says "Subtitles available in 41 languages."  So you could watch it in Polish! You can watch for free, or if you pay for a subscription then you get HD and no commercials.

http://www.viki.com/videos/1055371v-pinocchio-episode-1

Apollonia

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Maximilian

Quote from: Chestertonian on January 27, 2015, 01:50:39 PM

octonauts

Just the other day I heard good things about Octonauts from a young mother with 4 young boys. She really likes the show for them, and she said that she learns things as well.