Why Won't Word 2013 Change My Document Layout?

Started by Bernadette, September 16, 2015, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Hey, all. I'm trying to clean up a converted document (from PDF to .doc, to be converted to kindle format, once it's finished). The formatting is really funky, with basically a word or a couple of words to each line, double spaced. I tried to get it to single-spaced by hitting ctrl+A and going through Word's "spacing" option, but it didn't do anything to any of the text that I hadn't worked on yet. Any formatting changes that I try to do through Word only seem to affect the text that I've already re-formatted manually. What gives? I haven't used Word since about 2009, so I'm feeling pretty lost here. There's got to be a way to "wrap" the text so that I don't have to go through and move each individual word so that they're next to each other in a line, and everything is single-spaced, right? For illustrative purposes, we're talking about

something

that looks

this.

Hundreds of pages' worth. Now, I  want this document pretty badly, but I also know that there just has to be an easier way to do this! What do you guys think? 
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Highlight the whole document, i.e. CTRL+A

Then, on the menu ribbon up above, you should see the Styles box with several buttons in it (Normal, No Spacing, Heading 1, etc). Click on No Spacing.

Let me know if that fixes it.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Gardener

I've had this problem before when pasting something in from a .txt file.

I had to manually change it. Open office can be more helpful at times.

Is it something you feel comfortable attaching to a post so we can download it and play around with settings?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Gardener

Does their Kindle version not work?

You can attach the file here I think... it might allow us to play around with it and see what settings might do what.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Bernadette

Quote from: Gardener on September 16, 2015, 01:28:38 PM
Does their Kindle version not work?

I tried opening it with Calibre and all I see is a bunch of pages that say "this image is missing." :lol:

And every time I try to open either the .txt document or the Word document in OpenOffice, the program stops responding. :/
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Lynne

Here it is, kind of fixed...  ::)

Somehow the Fifth Conference ended up at the end of the book...

Note that my version of the book's file name ends in LF.

Lynne

Basically, I did a "replace all" to replace the paragraph marks with spaces.

I did a screen capture of the Replace function in Word.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Bernadette

I'm going through and putting in the paragraph indentations and trying to make the footnotes easier to read. Should I post it in the bookstore when I'm finished?
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

Quote from: Bernadette on September 20, 2015, 07:30:41 PM
I'm going through and putting in the paragraph indentations and trying to make the footnotes easier to read. Should I post it in the bookstore when I'm finished?

Um, yeah! Why save all that hard work for just yourself? :)