Traditional Catholism for Dummies?

Started by Vanna Grace, September 08, 2014, 07:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parresia

Quote from: Jayne on September 09, 2014, 10:29:55 AM
Quote from: Parresia on September 09, 2014, 10:10:57 AM
In addition to +Lefebvre's excellent book which has been recommended above, I strongly encourage you to consider the following:

The Second Vatican Council: An Unwritten Story – Dr. Roberto de Mattei
Work of Human Hands: A Theological Critique of the Mass of Paul VI - Fr. Anthony Cekada
Iota Unum: A Study of Changes in the Catholic Church in the Twentieth Century - Romano Amerio

I have long thought that you are an extremely smart person, Parresia, but I must increase my estimate of your intelligence even more if you consider the above to be works suitable for a "dummy".  Personally, I would classify them as challenging and advanced, although I agree that they are informative and thorough. 

I suggest that a beginner start with the video overviews of Work of Human Hands and then move onto the book.  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDA085477E90AC096

I did not take the OP's statement on "dummies" literately, but rather as a statement of ignorance as to the scope of the situation and seeking guidance on how to learn more about it.  Having said that, I did find the videos that Fr. Cekada put together to be very helpful.   

Jayne

I'm not sure if the problem is that Iota Unum is a very dense book or just that I feel very dense when I try to read it.   ;D

I cannot, however, argue about it being a very good book.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Maximilian

The reference to children's books reminded me that the best introduction to the traditional Catholic Faith I encountered were the series of children's books by Mary Fabyan Windeatt. By reading them aloud to children I learned so much about the traditional Catholic Faith, more than the children I'm sure.

This is a link to the entire 20-book set which is a very good bargain. However, TAN sells the books individually as well.

https://tanbooks.benedictpress.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/417

(Which reminds me, if you just go to TAN and read their "classics" (avoid all the new stuff), you will soon know everything there is to learn from the saints.)

The Mary Fabyan Windeatt books are written at a level that children can comprehend as far as vocabulary and grammar, however, the spiritual concepts are expressed without any watering down.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

LausTibiChriste

Heresy of Formlessness by Martin Mosebach was instrumental in getting me to go full-blown Trad. It's an extremely strong argument for the Latin Mass based more on subjective standards (by that I mean, fruits of the Mass, beauty, etc) rather than scientific theological arguments, which appealed greatly to me.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Chestertonian

When I was in the process of converting, an older man from my parish gave me a copy of a mass from the 1940's narrated by Archbishop Fulton Sheen.  Available for you to watch on Youtube:

what stuck with me, was how DIFFERENT this video was from the actual Mass I was attending every week as an RCIA candidate.  I must have watched this video over and over again.  Fulton Sheen narrates it beautifully, emphasizing the ancientness and beauty of the Mass and the sacrificial nature.  there is an orchestra, and a men and boys' choir.  Once I thought I'd go to the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen in Baltimore, thinkng I would go to Sunday Mass and it would be a big beautiful ceremony.  IT was a lot of the same dumbed down hokeyness of the novus ordo, with a bit more stained glass and some more talented singers wasting their talents on Shepherd Me, O God.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Lynne

Quote from: Chestertonian on September 09, 2014, 05:48:57 PM
Why not new stuff

It's probably infected with Modernism. Yes, even Tan...  :(
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on September 09, 2014, 11:22:44 PM
Heresy of Formlessness by Martin Mosebach was instrumental in getting me to go full-blown Trad. It's an extremely strong argument for the Latin Mass based more on subjective standards (by that I mean, fruits of the Mass, beauty, etc) rather than scientific theological arguments, which appealed greatly to me.
Just ignore fessio's useless preface.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Lynne on September 10, 2014, 03:40:11 AM
Quote from: Chestertonian on September 09, 2014, 05:48:57 PM
Why not new stuff

It's probably infected with Modernism. Yes, even Tan...  :(
That's what happens when you dont pay your bills and not sell the shop to Angelus Press....  lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Arun

Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 08, 2014, 07:00:41 PM
I would like to find some book on traditional Catholism...but...it has become quite clear to me that everyone on this board is very intelligent (intimidatingly so). Are there any books that won't make brain explode while reading them? Trad lite, if you will. I would not be opposed to children's Trad books. ;)

i'm on this board and i'm nowhere near intimidatingly intelligent...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Parresia

Dare we compare the Masses?

A series comparing the TLM to the NO.  Here is part 1.  The rest can be found in links on the right of the website. 

http://catholicchampion.blogspot.com/2013/07/dare-we-compare-masses-part-i.html

Vanna Grace

Just finished Open Letter. :( It breaks my heart. How far have we fallen when the Church conforms to society instead of the Church setting the standard for society to follow? Is everything under God's sun to become permissible? Everything is ok?

Much to pray about.

Lynne

Quote from: Arun on September 10, 2014, 07:00:21 AM

I would like to find some book on traditional Catholism...but...it has become quite clear to me that everyone on this board is very intelligent (intimidatingly so). Are there any books that won't make brain explode while reading them? Trad lite, if you will. I would not be opposed to children's Trad books. ;)

Me neither!  :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Jayne

That's OK.  You are intimidating other ways.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Chestertonian

Me neither..my attention span is shot.  Today I read her yertle the turtle, the very hungry Caterpillar,mike milligan and his steam shovel and two magic school bus books.

I'm exhausted