Tattoos

Started by St. Columba, January 07, 2019, 02:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St. Columba

Is there a specific Catholic teaching against tattoos?  I think I remember it being forbidden somewhere in the OT.

What I am thinking is an innocent looking tattoo to (sort of) cover a (future) scar...

Thanks!
People don't have ideas...ideas have people.  - Jordan Peterson quoting Carl Jung

martin88nyc

Quote from: St. Columba on January 07, 2019, 02:11:29 PM
Is there a specific Catholic teaching against tattoos?  I think I remember it being forbidden somewhere in the OT.

What I am thinking is an innocent looking tattoo to (sort of) cover a (future) scar...

Thanks!
sometimes a scar looks better than a tattoo  ;)
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Gardener

Amongst Traditionalist crowds tattoos are typically seen as against the 5th commandment (per Fr. Ripperger). I'm not convinced of that as ear piercing should be too if following the same logic, but it's never mentioned.

The OT prohibition (Leviticus 19) is specifically in the context of pagan ancestor worship, not a general prohibition (though later seen as such through halachic teaching).

As a person with two sleeves, a rib cage tat (meat tag), and calf piece, I'd advise against any tattoo regardless of the reason.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Stubborn

I can't remember all the details I've read on this subject, but the sin committed is the sin of pride through vanity. By getting tattoos, you're inordinately decorating(?) yourself, you show your body off by having certain parts of your body stand out, proudly putting yourself on display.

Excessive tattooing is actually imitating (the sincerest form of flattery) the "ignorant natives" who worship false gods, who pierce, cut and paint themselves as part of their pagan (demonic) rituals. The difference is, modern tattoos leave a permanent character on the body, whereas the ignorant natives' markings are only temporary.     
Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

Gardener

Almost every culture has tattoos or scarification of some sort. Rare is the culture which merely paints.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

St. Columba

Quote from: Gardener on January 07, 2019, 02:36:48 PM
Amongst Traditionalist crowds tattoos are typically seen as against the 5th commandment (per Fr. Ripperger). I'm not convinced of that as ear piercing should be too if following the same logic, but it's never mentioned.

The OT prohibition (Leviticus 19) is specifically in the context of pagan ancestor worship, not a general prohibition (though later seen as such through halachic teaching).

As a person with two sleeves, a rib cage tat (meat tag), and calf piece, I'd advise against any tattoo regardless of the reason.

Thanks Gardener....but why would you advise against regardless of the reason?

Also, if trads, and Fr Ripperger specifically, are against  tattoos, are they because the Magisterium weighed in on the issue at some point, or are they just theorizing?
People don't have ideas...ideas have people.  - Jordan Peterson quoting Carl Jung

St. Columba

Would a St. Michael tattoo be ok?  If not, on what basis exactly?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c6/cb/7c/c6cb7c1198cc787cbf4b0d27f8ca82a3.jpg

martin88nyc

Quote from: St. Columba on January 07, 2019, 06:54:51 PM

beautiful work but I also tend to agree that we shouldn't put tattoos on our bodies.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Chestertonian

I think it depends on the tattoo and the reason.  Some are hideous and will only look more hideous when you're a wrinkly old person. My dad always said that regardless of what tattoo you get, it will look like a potato after you get old

Some people get tattoos to cover up scars.. like from a surgery, injury or if you are recovering from a self injury problem.  My wife is a recovering cutter and a lot of people she knows have gotten tattoos where they usually cut. Often it is meant to cover up the scarring and sometimes it helps to have an image or quote to remind you why you shouldn't hurt yourself or because it's too pretty.  She's always used this special makeup to cover them up but it's a pain to deal with
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Non Nobis

Quote from: martin88nyc on January 07, 2019, 07:02:30 PM
Quote from: St. Columba on January 07, 2019, 06:54:51 PM

beautiful work but I also tend to agree that we shouldn't put tattoos on our bodies.

When I first glance at it I think "weird", although after I pay more attention I see the beauty. I think it directs too much attention to the body rather than to what the image shows - even distorting the image to fit the body. (Talk about skin tight clothing...)
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

carmina laetitiae

Not OP (sorry OP, jumping in here) but what do you guys think about a Catholic tattoo to cover up an old occult tattoo until I can afford to have it removed? Or would it just be better to wait to have the laser removal and leave as-is for now?

bigbadtrad

I believe our morality should be formed in as close to the spirit as the fathers & doctors of the Church as possible. Imagine asking this to St. Alphonsus or St. Anthony of the Desert? 

It's now a sub-culture where the more "ink" you have the more credibility you have. We are influenced through our culture and if we're to build a more Christian culture taking a cue from secularist thinking is almost always a bad place to start. We are to be counter-cultural, and minimally a good example to our family members who might get the wrong impression even with the right intent as we are to prevent the scandal of the weak.

We are called to be the ambassadors of Christ.

As the culture has declined tattoos are more prevalent. Why feed into that culture? If we're married with young children or not married yet we have to be aware of the example we give to our children who might see St. Michael but they see a green light for the normalcy of tattoos and the sub-culture that attaches with it (motorcycles, piercings, partying) and while one does not necessitate the other we could be the example of someone falling prey to that thinking by our seeming alignment through our actions.

I truly struggle with the idea the fathers and doctors of the Church green-lighting such a concept. Shouldn't that be how we are to put on the mind of Christ? Shouldn't our body reflect that? God bless
"God has proved his love to us by laying down his life for our sakes; we too must be ready to lay down our lives for the sake of our brethren." 1 John 3:16

Heinrich

Quote from: Stubborn on January 07, 2019, 03:40:53 PM
I can't remember all the details I've read on this subject, but the sin committed is the sin of pride through vanity. By getting tattoos, you're inordinately decorating(?) yourself, you show your body off by having certain parts of your body stand out, proudly putting yourself on display.

Excessive tattooing is actually imitating (the sincerest form of flattery) the "ignorant natives" who worship false gods, who pierce, cut and paint themselves as part of their pagan (demonic) rituals. The difference is, modern tattoos leave a permanent character on the body, whereas the ignorant natives' markings are only temporary.   

Right on, Stubb. Traditionally in American society, tattoos have been viewed as low class, crass, and downright shitty. My pasty white skin staying that way.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Sempronius

Johann Von Goethe:

"Painting and tattooing of the body is a return to animalism."

Non Nobis

Quote from: St. Columba on January 07, 2019, 06:49:04 PM
Quote from: Gardener on January 07, 2019, 02:36:48 PM

Thanks Gardener....but why would you advise against regardless of the reason?

Also, if trads, and Fr Ripperger specifically, are against  tattoos, are they because the Magisterium weighed in on the issue at some point, or are they just theorizing?

Traditional Catholic practice and thinking go beyond what is explicitly in the Magisterium.  The discussion of others in this thread is not just subjectively theorizing, but giving good reasons beyond the fact that "Fr. Ripperger said so". 
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!