Who is left

Started by Chestertonian, August 27, 2018, 01:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

Let's say Francis is deposed or is declared an antipope or abdicates

Who is left in the college of Cardinals who can shepherd us?   Would Benedict be pope... Is he not the worst pope apart from Francis
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Xavier

Pope Benedict XVI would be ok, but 4 good ones I can think of off the top of my head are Cardinals +Burke, +Sarah, +Ejik and +Ranjith. Some have been friendly to Tradition. Others have been critical of Pope Francis; or are generally anti-modernist in thought. It's a long shot, as there are many bad Cardinals, but with a lot of prayer, a good one can definitely be elected. My hope is Cardinal Burke for next Pope.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

John Lamb

One of the most promising things about this current crisis is that it might actually prompt the cardinals to elect a strong pope who won't merely cover over the Church's problems. I think the African Cardinal Sarah seems like the best candidate.
"Let all bitterness and animosity and indignation and defamation be removed from you, together with every evil. And become helpfully kind to one another, inwardly compassionate, forgiving among yourselves, just as God also graciously forgave you in the Anointed." – St. Paul

LausTibiChriste

None of 'em. Theyre all Novus Ordoans and useless tits...particularly the "orthodox" ones
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Xavier on August 27, 2018, 02:24:01 AM
Pope Benedict XVI would be ok, but 4 good ones I can think of off the top of my head are Cardinals +Burke, +Sarah, +Ejik and +Ranjith. Some have been friendly to Tradition. Others have been critical of Pope Francis; or are generally anti-modernist in thought. It's a long shot, as there are many bad Cardinals, but with a lot of prayer, a good one can definitely be elected. My hope is Cardinal Burke for next Pope.
Burke is the biggest do-nothing.

We need a man of decisive action, not words. 

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Xavier

Kaese, I hope we won't take an all-or-nothing approach. Most of us support Trump and Pence. Not because they're perfect, but because they're good. Similarly, in the Church, please, let's not refuse to support good Cardinals who are not perfect. What better alternative do we have in the current 120 odd anyway? Is Bishop +Fellay or even Bishop +Schneider a Cardinal? A good Pope may even make SSPX or at least the conservative/semi-traditional N.O. Bishops into His Cardinals.  It's rapidly becoming worse with every passing year. 5 more years of this Pope and we'll be in a very sorry state. I believe under current law Cardinals are usually supposed to resign at 80 also. So that's a maximum of 10 more for +Burke (born in 1948) anyway, unless something changes. Imho, +Burke tried to do a few things but hardly has any power left now anyway. I like +Sarah also, John. Anybody reasonably Tradition-friendly is better than nothing. Please, Lord, not the status quo much longer.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Michael Wilson

Xavier,
if you think that Benedict XVI would be "ok", then i'm speechless and flabbergasted.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Archer

Quote from: Xavier on August 27, 2018, 02:24:01 AM

Ratzinger is a modernist. M-O-D-E-R-N-I-S-T. Ergo he is part of the problem.
Just because someone likes incense or shiny things doesn't make them one of the good guys. Try wading into his theology sometime.

Burke? He would be more productive watching grass grow. The problem with the "reform of the reform" people like you is that you only scratch the surface. Is it shiny? "Ohhhh....squirrel!"

And please don't compare the Church to American politics again.  ::)
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Xavier

Michael, a name, then, of a candidate you would support. Don't tell me Bp. Sanborn. Realistically, the next Pope is only going to come from the college of Cardinals.

Archer, same question. You want my favorite candidate for next Pope? it's Bishop Fellay. But I'm a realist. That's not going to happen. We have to work with what we have. The Pope comes from the college of Cardinals, barring extraordinary divine intervention. We don't have a right to presume on the miraculous. Therefore, we have to work with the best candidates in the Church through the ordinary channels.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Xavier on August 27, 2018, 05:13:11 AM
Kaese, I hope we won't take an all-or-nothing approach. Most of us support Trump and Pence. Not because they're perfect, but because they're good. Similarly, in the Church, please, let's not refuse to support good Cardinals who are not perfect. What better alternative do we have in the current 120 odd anyway? Is Bishop +Fellay or even Bishop +Schneider a Cardinal? A good Pope may even make SSPX or at least the conservative/semi-traditional N.O. Bishops into His Cardinals.  It's rapidly becoming worse with every passing year. 5 more years of this Pope and we'll be in a very sorry state. I believe under current law Cardinals are usually supposed to resign at 80 also. So that's a maximum of 10 more for +Burke (born in 1948) anyway, unless something changes. Imho, +Burke tried to do a few things but hardly has any power left now anyway. I like +Sarah also, John. Anybody reasonably Tradition-friendly is better than nothing. Please, Lord, not the status quo much longer.

If we're talking about the sitting Pontiff going down for covering up rape and abuse, hell yea I'm taking the all-or-nothing approach.

Let them roast over their sodomitical ways while the real men rebuild the Church. 

Burke is useless, Sarah is a token and even more useless.  Ranjith was the only one in your list that I'd look at.

And, frankly, if the College elected Bergy, it shows how rife with queers it is and it needs to be purged anyways.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Greg

Pray for Pope Gregory the Grate II

I'll cancel their pensions and spend it on this.

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

clau clau

Let's elect a Pope who resigned.  What could possibly go wrong?

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

LausTibiChriste

Im totally down for the election of Patriarch Kirill as bishop of Rome
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

St.Justin

Bishop Athanasius Schneider.

Heinrich

Sarah appears to be the most papable. He just has that look: one of a firm and solid disposition. He ministers at the Chartres pilgrimage. Can we imagine a saintly pope, in the (spiritual) image of his predecessors, of subsaharan/west African ethnicity?
Politically, after a few months of reaffirmation of Church teaching, the contents of the Left's heads and guts will strewn the streets from systematic, rhythmic explosions.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.