Magic in Victorian Children's Literature

Started by Bernadette, January 24, 2024, 09:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Quote from: Lynne on January 25, 2024, 05:15:00 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on January 24, 2024, 07:09:09 PM1. All the books in the series by Mary Fabyan Windeatt

2. All the books in the series by Hilda van Stockum.

3. If you want a fantasy element that is Catholic, I recommend "The 40 Dreams of Don Bosco."

By the time they've finished those they'll have become teenagers, at which point they can move on to genuine Catholic literature like the "Autobiography" by St. Teresa of Avila. She writes in such a direct style with so much personality that any reader can enjoy it.

All the books in the series by Mary Fabyan Windeatt

Those are wonderful, I love them. I have several of those on my Kindle.
This series is on sale right now at TAN for 35% off. I'm very tempted.
My Lord and my God.

diaduit

Just ordered Don Bosco book.  tks for suggestions.

awkward customer

The Victorians were great devotees of the occult.  In fact this period saw a dramatic rise in all kinds of dabbling in seances, spiritism, Rosicrucionism, Theosophy, Hermeticism, Gnosticism and so on.

It's hardly surprising that so much Victorian children's literature is based on magic/fairies/the occult, all dressed up to be pretty and disarming.

Maybe borrowing some of the ideas of the critical theorists might be an idea here, as in being aware of what lies behind these charming stories.

TradGranny

What about the genre of Fantasy like C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, George McDonald and John Bibee's Spirit Flyer series?

I haven't seen any magic, nor mysticism, nor Theosopy is these books.
Thoughts?
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

awkward customer

Quote from: TradGranny on March 04, 2024, 05:47:50 PMWhat about the genre of Fantasy like C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, George McDonald and John Bibee's Spirit Flyer series?

Thoughts?

Funny you should ask that. Just after I posted the above, I wondered about Tolkien.  And I suppose C.S Lewis, although I'm not familiar with the other two authors.

How about this as a first thought? There's nothing wrong with using fantasy to tell a story.  But if you're going to read such works, be aware that some authors might use the format to introduce "magic, mysticism or Theosophy" into their stories, especially during a time when these ideas are being heavily promoted.

PS.  I'm a big fan of Tolkien. 

TradGranny

Quote from: awkward customer on March 05, 2024, 05:40:05 AM
Quote from: TradGranny on March 04, 2024, 05:47:50 PMWhat about the genre of Fantasy like C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, George McDonald and John Bibee's Spirit Flyer series?

Thoughts?

Funny you should ask that. Just after I posted the above, I wondered about Tolkien.  And I suppose C.S Lewis, although I'm not familiar with the other two authors.

How about this as a first thought? There's nothing wrong with using fantasy to tell a story.  But if you're going to read such works, be aware that some authors might use the format to introduce "magic, mysticism or Theosophy" into their stories, especially during a time when these ideas are being heavily promoted.

PS.  I'm a big fan of Tolkien. 
Yes, I agree with what you said and some of them like Madeline L'Engle (not sure of spelling) are difficult to identify at first.

I think C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, George McDonald all pass the test.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila