Do You Believe The Ordinary Form Is A Roman Catholic Mass ?

Started by Acolyte, February 17, 2014, 12:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acolyte

While obviously less reverent and lacking compared to the TLM, I believe the Ordinary Form (Novus Ordo) is a valid Roman Catholic Mass.

Feel free to agree or to argue otherwise. I will say I'd be delighted if the OF were to be phased out and we were to return to the TLM as the sole Roman Rite.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Larry

This is a rather complex question that isn't easy to answer. I believe that the NO, when celebrated by a valid priest with a valid intention, makes present the Sacrifice of Calvary. Unfortunately that isn't good enough, because the same thing was true of the first liturgy of Cranmer that was imposed in England in 1549. Like the NO, a Catholic priest could say the Cranmerian liturgy and objectively make the Sacrifice present. But was it a Catholic Mass? Emphatically not.

The Novus Ordo was created by a committee of liturgical modernists that deliberately removed all references to the sacrificial nature of the Mass from the liturgy and made it ambiguous in order to please Protestants(this is of public record). This committee even wanted the Roman Canon(Canon I) removed, but at the behest of Cardinal Ottaviani, Paul VI overruled the committee and kept the Roman Canon. So perhaps it's still a Catholic rite when Canon I is used; the other canons are extremely problematic from a traditional Catholic perspective. My answer is to avoid the NO and go only to the TLM, or the Byzantine Divine Liturgy(which I almost exclusively attend these days). But it's not an easy question to answer.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Chestertonian

I think it is valid but lacking.  the Novus ordo is like a dusty old glass box... there is a lot of dust over it, lots of scratches, so it is hard to see the treasure inside.  Not as much light can get through.  Whereas the TLM is like a freshly polished, pure glass box where the treasure is clearly visible without any extra effort. But the treasure is still there either way--the Eucharist.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bonaventure

No. As Archbishop Lefebvre said, it is a "bastard rite."
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Jayne

Quote from: Acolyte on February 17, 2014, 12:42:09 AM
While obviously less reverent and lacking compared to the TLM, I believe the Ordinary Form (Novus Ordo) is a valid Roman Catholic Mass.

I agree. 

I would like to see the NO abrogated and replaced by the 1965 rite while, at the same time, access to the TLM is improved so that it is a realistic option for most Catholics to attend.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Maximilian

No. We can examine all the minute details, and that is a worth endeavor, and when we've put together the pieces, we can see that essential elements are lacking. However, what is even more important, is to look at the bigger picture. What is the spirit of the NO? What is the intention? It is not a Catholic spirit. It is not a Catholic intention. It is the spirit of man, intending to worship itself.

LouisIX

What do you mean by "Roman Catholic Mass"?  That is is promulgated by the Catholic Church?  That it is valid?  That it is adequately congruent and reflective of the Catholic tradition?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Bonaventure

Quote from: LouisIX on February 17, 2014, 01:31:45 PM
What do you mean by "Roman Catholic Mass"?  That is is promulgated by the Catholic Church?  That it is valid?  That it is adequately congruent and reflective of the Catholic tradition?

Validity and liciety are two different things.

Regardless of its sacramental validity, it is a bastard rite. Holy Mother Church does not give her flock bastard liturgies. Ergo
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

bben15

Is it a valid Mass? Yes, and the Church regularly celebrates it.

However, is it distinctively Catholic? If you ask me, then no. The TLM had been in use for 1,900 years in the Church, only to be replaced by the Novus Ordo. The NO cannot be called distinctly Catholic because it's almost the same as a Lutheran or Anglican service. So, I have to say that it is just a Mass, not a Catholic Mass.

Plus, it was promulgated for ecumenism, not for the spiritual good of the Catholic faithful. A Catholic Mass is meant to bring people closer to Catholicism. The Novus Ordo does the opposite.   

The TLM is distinctively Catholic, while the NO is not.

Chestertonian

Quote from: bben15 on February 17, 2014, 02:29:23 PM
The TLM had been in use for 1,900 years in the Church, only to be replaced by the Novus Ordo.

not....exactly.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Chestertonian on February 17, 2014, 02:32:08 PM
The TLM had been in use for 1,900 years in the Church, only to be replaced by the Novus Ordo.

not....exactly.

1600.  Only off by 20%.  Not bad.

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

bben15

Quote from: Jayne on February 17, 2014, 08:30:38 AM

I agree. 

I would like to see the NO abrogated and replaced by the 1965 rite while, at the same time, access to the TLM is improved so that it is a realistic option for most Catholics to attend.

I would love to see the NO abrogated and the pre-1955 Missal to be used, or at least the 1962 Missal. But, the 1965 is better than the Novus Ordo.

Maximilian

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 17, 2014, 02:40:48 PM

not....exactly.

I don't understand your point. Are trying to say that the Mass was first invented in 365 AD?

Jayne

Quote from: bben15 on February 17, 2014, 02:47:44 PM
Quote from: Jayne on February 17, 2014, 08:30:38 AM

I agree. 

I would love to see the NO abrogated and the pre-1955 Missal to be used, or at least the 1962 Missal. But, the 1965 is better than the Novus Ordo.

I think that the majority of Catholics have become so attached to using vernacular that the transition to the TLM would be difficult for them.  The 1965 rite would be an easier adjustment for them while avoiding the major problems with the NO.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Maximilian on February 17, 2014, 02:49:12 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 17, 2014, 02:40:48 PM

not....exactly.

I don't understand your point. Are trying to say that the Mass was first invented in 365 AD?

A few things because I'm dumb.

1)  I should have said "1300", since the codification of the Mass was around 600 (with Pope St Gregory the Great).

2)  I was trying to be a little humorous, but that failed when my thinking was off.

3)  Mass was first said by Jesus, obviously, but codified in 600.

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.