"The Church can teach no error"

Started by Beatrice, October 19, 2014, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatrice

I went to a diocesan-allowed TLM today and in his sermon, the priest made this statement that "the Church can teach no error" and to not accept this is heresy. He continued with "To say 'if [XYZ doctrine] is changed I'm out' is a heretical way of thinking."

There were other things in his sermon that I violently disagreed with, and I left Mass with a very troubled and tumultuous soul (that is pretty language for "I was incredibly angry!!!"). I'd like some input in regards to the above. I quite frankly don't believe it's true, because it is my understanding that the ex cathedra teachings of the Church are without error- and the Church's "safety system" to prevent error and retain infallibility requires that differentiation between what is allowed or less-formally taught and the formal, ex cathedra, dogmatic teachings of the Church.

I find the statement "the Church can teach no error" problematic, because it is broad and imprecise language. To my mind if it is true as stated without any qualifiers, then we can't question any teaching whatsoever from the Church, including V2. If it is true, than we either need to embrace V2 and the modern Church, or the position of sedevacantism is correct and we have been without a true pope for decades. I don't even understand what the point of a diocesan TLM is if there aren't real problems with the new Mass and V2 teachings. Just sentimentality?

Is my thinking correct and orthodox? Can anyone help me with sourcing this so I have Church doctrine to point to if I need to defend my position? I am pretty sure I'm right. However, I'm really, really quite upset about this because according to the priest I *am* a heretic- and an angry one at that! So, I would rather check and be corrected if necessary than allow my emotions to cloud and control my judgement.

Thank you.

Suffer me not to be separated
And let my cry come unto Thee.

(~T. S. Eliot, "Ash Wednesday")

May He be blessed for ever who waited for me so long. ~ St. Teresa of Avila

Sockpuppet

In my opinion, he's right. Either you choose the Church warts and all or sedevecantism.

I choose the church warts and all.

Beatrice

Quote from: Sockpuppet on October 19, 2014, 06:33:39 PM
In my opinion, he's right. Either you choose the Church warts and all or sedevecantism.

So you don't have any problems with V2?
Suffer me not to be separated
And let my cry come unto Thee.

(~T. S. Eliot, "Ash Wednesday")

May He be blessed for ever who waited for me so long. ~ St. Teresa of Avila

Pheo

Even in the context of changing doctrine?  Because that was in the first paragraph of the OP.

Doctrine can't change.  He's wrong.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Recovering NOer

Quote from: Beatrice on October 19, 2014, 04:47:29 PMI don't even understand what the point of a diocesan TLM is if there aren't real problems with the new Mass and V2 teachings. Just sentimentality?

That's the conclusion I've reached.

Parresia

It sounds to me like he was just imprecise in his statement.  If you are really troubled, I suggest speaking to him politely and asking for clarification.  It is obviously true that the Church cannot formally declare error to be truth or deny that truth which has been revealed.  However, the infallibility of the Church is limited to very specific circumstances.  A lack of understanding of this is one of the many causes of confusion in the Church today.  The idea that the Church can teach no error as well as a lack of understanding of Papal Infallibility in a large way contributed to the fall we saw after Vatican II, and its perpetuation today.  I cannot tell you how many Catholics of good will, who would fall onto he conservative side of the spectrum, honestly believe that anytime the Pope talks about faith or morals he is protected from error by the Holy Spirit. 

Kaesekopf

As a reminder, the description for this subforum is "Here is the place to have serious, semi-scholarly discussions on theology and philosophy."  Please try to keep responses on-point, serious, and somewhat based/founded on the teachings of the Church.  Thank you.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

james03

The problem staring us in the face is indefectibility.  So if Francis were to officially promulgate that adulterers can receive communion, then he'd be promulgating sacrilege. 

As others have said "the Church teaching error" is too vague. 
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

LouisIX

Indeed.  And the history of the Church has been more than messy at times.  She is pristine in Her de fide teaching, of course, but that does not extend to much of the actions and words of the hierarchy (especially in a modern period wherein the hierarchy is heard so much due to existence of mass media).
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

Quote from: james03 on October 20, 2014, 11:47:23 AM
The problem staring us in the face is indefectibility.  So if Francis were to officially promulgate that adulterers can receive communion, then he'd be promulgating sacrilege. 

It is too vague if it is left at that.  This is why VI dealt extensively with papal infallibility and why other councils have dealt extensively with the different levels of Maigsterial teaching.

Most of the problems present in the Church today stem from a misapplication or misunderstanding of the axiom "the Church can teach no error".  What that means cannot be summed up in even the longest of forum posts.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Stranger

Quote from: Beatrice on October 19, 2014, 04:47:29 PM
I went to a diocesan-allowed TLM today and in his sermon, the priest made this statement that "the Church can teach no error" and to not accept this is heresy. He continued with "To say 'if [XYZ doctrine] is changed I'm out' is a heretical way of thinking."

Actually, these statements are correct. The Church is inviolate and indefectible and can indeed teach no error - any error that a bishop or a pope teaches is not the teaching of the Church, but his personal error. Also, to say that if Francis promulgates or orders something contrary to the Faith this will mean that the Church has failed is indeed heretical. The Church can never defect but the person in authority can, and any of his actions done after the fact would be invalid. He would be outside the Faith, consequently outside the Church, and unable to command in the Church. He cannot be the head if he is not a member, as St. Robert Bellarmine would say. And there is certainly enough solidly founded doubt in Francis' person already.

Older Salt

The Church is actually part of Christ.

Christ can never teach falsehood.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Older Salt on October 29, 2014, 11:56:16 AM
The Church is actually part of Christ.

Christ can never teach falsehood.
Exactly! Our Lord established an infallible magisterium that teaches the truth daily, not only every 100 or 200 years when there is a solemn Ex-Cathedra statement, or a Ecumenical Council.  The Holy Ghost was promised to be with the Church "all days" even unto the consummation of the world.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

INPEFESS

The post-VII have already officially promulgated sacrilege: the universal disciplinary law that authorizes the distribution of communion to non-Catholics. We got to that point of magisterial sacrilege decades ago.
I  n
N omine
P atris,
E t
F ilii,
E t
S piritus
S ancti

>))))))º> "Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time" (II Peter 1:10). <º((((((<

SouthpawLink

Quote from: INPEFESS on November 15, 2014, 11:43:59 AM

The post-VII have already officially promulgated sacrilege: the universal disciplinary law that authorizes the distribution of communion to non-Catholics. We got to that point of magisterial sacrilege decades ago.

Indeed.  Before then, there was Paul VI's Ad totum ecclesiam; remember that thread? (Either FE or my phone isn't letting me link to it, but it's Scotus' six-page thread titled "Acta Apostolicae Sedis".)
"Is there no exception to the rule forbidding the administration of the Sacraments to baptized non-Catholics who are in good faith? In the case of those who are in good health, the prohibition is absolute; no dispute on this point is possible in view of the repeated explicit declarations of the Holy Office" (Rev. S. Woywod, A Practical Commentary on the Code of Canon Law, vol. I, sec. 625, p. 322ff.).

Contrast the above with the 1983 CIC, Can. 844 §3 & 4: "Catholic ministers administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick licitly to members of Eastern Churches which do not have full communion with the Catholic Church. . . .  If the danger of death is present or if, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or conference of bishops, some other grave necessity urges it, Catholic ministers administer these same sacraments licitly also to other Christians not having full communion with the Catholic Church." — The phrase "properly disposed" does not save the canon from error, because the context shows that no conversion is expected on the part of non-Catholics ("manifest Catholic faith in respect to these sacraments" is the sole requirement).