June 13 - St. Anthony of Padua

Started by Jayne, June 13, 2020, 09:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Born in Lisbon in A.D. 1195, St. Anthony, né Ferdinand, was the son of noble, God-fearing parents. He received a good education, and, at the age of fifteen, joined the Canons Regular of St. Augustine which whom he studied Sacred Scripture and the writings of the Fathers. At around the age of 25, he became inspired by the Franciscans martyred in Morocco and decided to join their Order, taking the name "Anthony."

Illness prevented his going to Morocco, so he spent some time in Sicily, in Assisi, and then in Montepaolo his public life began: during the ordination of a group of Franciscan and Dominican friars, it was discovered that no one had been appointed to preach. The superior turned to the Dominicans first because they are the "Order of Preachers," but all declined, saying they were not prepared. So St. Anthony stepped up -- and began to teach so beautifully that word of his talents reached the ears of St. Francis, who blessed his work.

St. Anthony taught at Bologna, Montpellier, and Toulouse, but it was as a fearless orator (he became known as the "Hammer of the Heretics") and a miracle worker that he is most reknowned.
https://www.fisheaters.com/customstimeafterpentecoststa.html
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Fleur-de-Lys

Happy Feast of Saint Anthony!

I notice that the page on Fisheaters mentions some of the Portuguese customs associated with Saint Anthony. He is one of the patron saints of Lisbon. Maybe Vetus can comment on those? I see he has already posted this morning. I thought he would still be recovering from last night's festivities.  :D

Jayne

My oldest son married a woman of Portuguese descent, so I probably should have called him St. Anthony of Lisbon.   :D
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on June 13, 2020, 11:51:25 AM
Maybe Vetus can comment on those?

FE page mentions the main ones like the pots of sweet basil that are given away and the typical diet of grilled sardines and sangria. As for the parades, that really kick-started in the 1930's: all neighborhoods in Lisbon compete for the best choreography, the best costumes and the best voices. It's a big social event. It's worth to watch the parades, at least once. Here's a picture of what you might find:

This year all celebrations were canceled due to the Covid-19 crisis.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Prayerful

There is also the excellent St Anthony's Treasury: A Manual of Devotions. There is a contemporary update but half is wasted as a New Mass missal, meaning so many fine devotions are dropped, even where they pose no issue with V2 as understood these days.

Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Vetus Ordo

I forgot to add the part about St. Anthony's church. It is traditionally believed that the crypt of the church is part of the original house where St. Anthony was born. Therefore, it's customary that young people on their wedding day visit the church, pray and leave flowers for St. Anthony, given his role as an intercessor of the newlyweds.

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.