Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asbury Fox

The last movie I saw was The Lost City of Z. An old fashioned Hollywood epic that satisfied my Anglophile heart and Native American blood. Some people might find it boring, but I thought it was excellent and beautifully shot.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaH2L4vidi4[/yt]

Mono no aware

Quote from: Gardener on June 15, 2017, 07:09:21 PMWe had a bit of head butting before, but your more recent posts have been positively indicative of a sharp mind.

I'm pleased that you like Dominus Tecum's post, Gardener.  I do respect him for being brutally honest.  He comes right out and says it: "the Fathers got it wrong.  They were proto-Islamic killjoys."  I mean, that is classic.  There's no way to argue with something like that.  It's "that old stuff is too conservative, and we've figured out that we can actually be lax."  Reminds me of Pope Francis, who also has a penchant for trashing the old ways and declaring we now know better.  I do kind of like that guy.  He has a roguish smile.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I, in my own way, appreciated the post as well.  I have duly "thanked" it.  It answers the question Pheo had asked me earlier, that I was having a difficult time articulating a response to.  He wanted to know why I had given up.  It's because any old layman can come along and second-guess St. John Chrysostom.  Says it all, really.  Who'd want to throw in with proto-Islamics?  It's like Chestertonian's signature says: "I may not be a Crusader, Sir, but at least I am not a Mohammedan!"

Matto

I watched another movie directed by Dreyer. This one is "Day of Wrath." Yes, it is named after the Dies Irae. It is about protestants and witchcraft in the 1600's and lust. It is a very adult movie, not for children. It is not my favorite of Dreyer's movies but I still think it is a good movie. I like how Anne's hair changes throughout the movie. This guy likes it, though I don't agree with his opinions: http://www.filmsufi.com/2016/09/day-of-wrath-carl-dreyer-1943.html
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nzyc4xf91Ho[/yt]
There is one scene where a very old woman is not fully clothed, you can see her back and chest uncovered, though you do not really see much of her breasts. I understand why it is shown that way though I would prefer if she was more covered. There is some kissing but there are no sex scenes. There is a beautiful young woman who is seductive, but throughout the movie she is always fully clothed.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 11, 2017, 09:31:05 PM
Cría Cuervos (1976)

I watched this last night.  It was a good movie, although foreboding and sad.  The little girl's longing for her dead mother, and her haunting big dark sorrowful eyes taking everything in... broke my heart.  (And as a sidenote: some aspects of the movie reminded me in little personal ways of my recently deceased Grandmother who was part-Spanish.  She didn't grow up there or anything, though.  I miss her.)

Mono no aware

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on June 17, 2017, 06:20:22 AM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 11, 2017, 09:31:05 PM
Cría Cuervos (1976)

I watched this last night.  It was a good movie, although foreboding and sad.  The little girl's longing for her dead mother, and her haunting big dark sorrowful eyes taking everything in... broke my heart.  (And as a sidenote: some aspects of the movie reminded me in little personal ways of my recently deceased Grandmother who was part-Spanish.  She didn't grow up there or anything, though.  I miss her.)

I thought it was an okay movie, but you're right, that little actress, Ana Torrent, had very sorrowful eyes, and she was famous in Spain in the 70s for them.  But they were used to much better effect in The Spirit of the Beehive, which is one of my all-time favorites.  It's a paean not only to the dreamy and sometimes nightmarish mysteries of childhood, but also to the power of cinema.

One thing I'll say I'll say for Cría Cuervos is that the recurring song really gets in your head.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 17, 2017, 08:46:34 AM
I though it was an okay movie, but you're right, that little actress, Ana Torrent, had very sorrowful eyes, and she was famous in Spain in the 70s for them.  But they were used to much better effect in The Spirit of the Beehive, which is one of my all-time favorites.  It's a paean not only to the dreamy and sometimes nightmarish mysteries of childhood, but also to the power of cinema.

One thing I'll say I'll say for Cría Cuervos is that the recurring song really gets in your head.

I wouldn't say it was a favorite movie of mine, or anything.  But I still thought it was good.  And you describe it well, with what you said in the bolded above.  I'll have to watch The Spirit of the Beehive when I get a chance. 

Yes, you're correct: that song is stuck in the old noggin.  Might just have to post it in the other thread.  LOL

Edit:  forgot to bold.   :) 

Aaand a second edit:  Ha!  I just realized that with the bolded, you were referring to the movie I haven't seen yet.  So I have no idea if you described that well, but I think the same could be said of Cría Cuervos

red solo cup

Shimmer Lake on Netflix. Goes backward in time. Not bad. Hell of a twist at the end.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

martin88nyc

"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Mono no aware

martin88nyc

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 18, 2017, 01:55:45 PM
Quote from: martin88nyc on June 18, 2017, 10:06:56 AMBarry Lyndon

How did you like it, Martin?
I like it very much. Definitely my cup of tea. Why no one is making movies like this anymore?  :)
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

JubilateDeo

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on June 13, 2017, 10:53:09 PM
I offer Aves and send a big hug, PDR.

I also, like Matto, remember Jerome from another forum.  But he had a different user name there, so in the very short time he was a member of SD, I didn't read too many of his comments, and didn't make the connection that it was him - I just thought he had the same style. 

A few years ago I (and spouse) came to know him well.  He is the finest of traditional Catholic men, hands down. Steadfast in holiness. His temperament is absolutely saintly and unwavering in humility.  What you read of him here, and possibly on the other forum, authentically represents who he is, through and through. He walks the talk, and tirelessly and lovingly works to assist his brothers in the faith, and to convert non Catholics. 

God has placed heavy crosses on his shoulders, but he never complains, only offers thanksgiving and actually quietly rejoices in his suffering.  I've never met anyone like him. 

I pray for him every day, and I am honored to call him friend.

Alls I'm gonna say is, I'm not sure if this blog post is the sort of thing that a person "unwavering in humility" would write.

https://against-all-heresies-and-errors.blogspot.com/2016/12/banned-from-suscipedomine.com-exposed.html

It doesn't seem humble to get banned from a forum and then write a "Suscipe Domine Exposed!" blog post about how butthurt you are.

Also, he spends waaaaaay way too much time talking about my 7 year old daughter's skirt length.  It's a bit creepy.

martin88nyc

Mildred Pierce - simply terrific.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: JubilateDeo on June 19, 2017, 10:24:34 PM
Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on June 13, 2017, 10:53:09 PM
I offer Aves and send a big hug, PDR.

I also, like Matto, remember Jerome from another forum.  But he had a different user name there, so in the very short time he was a member of SD, I didn't read too many of his comments, and didn't make the connection that it was him - I just thought he had the same style. 

A few years ago I (and spouse) came to know him well.  He is the finest of traditional Catholic men, hands down. Steadfast in holiness. His temperament is absolutely saintly and unwavering in humility.  What you read of him here, and possibly on the other forum, authentically represents who he is, through and through. He walks the talk, and tirelessly and lovingly works to assist his brothers in the faith, and to convert non Catholics. 

God has placed heavy crosses on his shoulders, but he never complains, only offers thanksgiving and actually quietly rejoices in his suffering.  I've never met anyone like him. 

I pray for him every day, and I am honored to call him friend.

Alls I'm gonna say is, I'm not sure if this blog post is the sort of thing that a person "unwavering in humility" would write.

https://against-all-heresies-and-errors.blogspot.com/2016/12/banned-from-suscipedomine.com-exposed.html

It doesn't seem humble to get banned from a forum and then write a "Suscipe Domine Exposed!" blog post about how butthurt you are.

Also, he spends waaaaaay way too much time talking about my 7 year old daughter's skirt length.  It's a bit creepy.
Hahahahaha.

Oh goodness. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Mono no aware

Quote from: JubilateDeo on June 19, 2017, 10:24:34 PMAlls I'm gonna say is, I'm not sure if this blog post is the sort of thing that a person "unwavering in humility" would write.

I didn't see that blog post as lacking in humility.  He was using his own experiences on this forum to point out how worldly so many traditional Catholics are.  I think the worst thing you could say about it is that he stooped to the level of personal insult by referring to Kaesekopf several times as a "clown."  It certainly seems unfair to say that he was creepily focused on your daughter's skirt length.  I thought his response to OCLF's Victorian-skirt-length picture was a good one.  Jerome is correct in that young Victorian girls would probably not have worn dresses with their bare legs exposed, but rather with ankle shoes and leggings.