Is love of money the root of *all* evil?

Started by Clare, May 07, 2018, 07:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miriam_M

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on May 07, 2018, 04:07:23 PM
Greed can be for things besides money:

-Acclaim
-Sex
-Attention
-Privileges that have nothing to do with money

Yes.  Precisely the point, OCLF.  Some others may have a narrow understanding of "separate" Capital Sins, but there is quite a bit of overlap.  They can be understood separately as a matter of utility and discernment, but they are dynamic.

Thank you.

Maximilian

Just came across this quote while searching for St. Augustine.

H. L. Mencken: "When some­body says it's not about the money, it's about the money."

Kreuzritter

It makes sense. The Vulgate, that is.

Pride is at the heart of evil, but it would lead to nothing if not for greed to supply oneself with that which one desires. If pride is the seed, greed certainly is the root!

John Lamb

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on May 07, 2018, 11:20:03 AM
I like money. Gets stuff done.

Money can't buy you happiness - but poverty buys you f***ing nothing.

Well there goes the Franciscans . . . and the Gospel.
"Let all bitterness and animosity and indignation and defamation be removed from you, together with every evil. And become helpfully kind to one another, inwardly compassionate, forgiving among yourselves, just as God also graciously forgave you in the Anointed." – St. Paul

Greg

I don't love money.

I love the power you have when you spend it.

For example I tried to get a Grab (Uber) in Manila.  This is a nightmare as Philippino Uber drivers will simply not turn up hoping you will cancel the job and leaving you in no man's land.  Then the Shangri-La hotel offered to drive me, (at 400 % of the taxi fare) but they spent too long poncing about and I could have been late for the meeting, which I never am, so I walked out of the hotel road complex and found a regular cab on the street.  The metered fare would have been 4 dollars (through 40 mins of traffic) but I said "I will double it if you get me there by 4:30pm"

Bloke drove like a bastard and got me there for 4:27, turned up the air conditioning all the way, and was a massive Sinatra fan, so I put my Karaoke disk on during the trip.  I tripled the fare to 12 dollars which he refused at first, but I insisted.

As Laus says.  Money gets stuff done.  You can help people with it and help them to help you.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: John Lamb on May 17, 2018, 09:55:38 AM

Well I'm not a Franciscan - I'm a soon to be husband and hopefully a soon to be Dad....so my point stands.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

LausTibiChriste

I don't like money itself. I like what I can do with money.

Like put a roof over my head
Food in my belly
Shoes on my feet
Hot water for the shower
Shampoo for my head and soap for me pits and nether regions
Metro tickets to get to Mass
Toilet paper
etc

Sometimes the anti-money attitudes in Catholicism go too far IMO. "Be poor, despise money" the Trads say, then the next minute we're guilt tripped for not tithing.

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Gardener

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on May 17, 2018, 10:49:20 AM

Well I'm not a Franciscan - I'm a soon to be husband and hopefully a soon to be Dad....so my point stands.

[gifv]https://i.imgur.com/VuuSlL4.gif[/gifv]

Will post more later.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Gardener on May 17, 2018, 11:16:54 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on May 17, 2018, 10:49:20 AM

[gifv]https://i.imgur.com/VuuSlL4.gif[/gifv]

Will post more later.

I'm loving all the Step Brothers references

- MaximGun

Greg

Being poor is easy.  That's why idiots and the lazy are usually poor.

What's far more difficult is earning money and not pissing it away on your own selfish wants.

I don't admire the poor.  I admire people who live way below their means.  It is a smart way to live a good use of your talents and requires self discipline.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

LausTibiChriste

- MaximGun

Gardener

John Lamb is an enjoyable and studious poster. I think he was just being lazy, cus I know he knows better.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Gardener on May 17, 2018, 03:37:53 PM
John Lamb is an enjoyable and studious poster. I think he was just being lazy, cus I know he knows better.

Or, making a joke.  That's how I read it. He seems incredibly knowledgeable to me, and, I would suspect, understanding that material poverty is not a blatant command for all Christians across the board.

Gardener

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on May 17, 2018, 07:44:30 PM
Quote from: Gardener on May 17, 2018, 03:37:53 PM

Or, making a joke.  That's how I read it. He seems incredibly knowledgeable to me, and, I would suspect, understanding that material poverty is not a blatant command for all Christians across the board.

This is the internet ma'am, and a forum at that. Everyone knows there's no joking allowed.

John Lamb -- were you joking?