Is "Rorate" redundant?

Started by ADMG, November 23, 2013, 11:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADMG

Seriously. I used to value Rorate Caeli not just for their articles but also for their commenters which often provided interesting insights. Ever since the closing of the comments section, it's really just a news-aggregator, with a lot of reports on the pope's latest crumb thrown to traditionalists, FSSP or other indultist event announcements, (solid) sermons that could easily be found elsewhere and just general low-effort posts like pieces of classical music. It's apparently the largest traditionalist site on the web, but I can't see what makes it worth reading any longer.

Elizabeth

It really is barren without the comments.

Basilios

I stopped reading them months ago. I initially lost all respect some time ago because they kept reporting things they shouldn't have reported. Now-a-days their commentary (IMO) is boring, and their articles/news tidbits are not all that interesting. I think the comments were interesting, but it was sometimes awful seeing some of the things people said.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Parresia

I subscribe to them in my rss reader and find them to be consistent in reporting things I do not see elsewhere.  They aren't perfect, but neither is anyone else.  They seem to be honestly trying to do a good job and to be Faithful to the Church.  If everyone else was a motivated as they are to do that we would be far better off.  Regarding the com box, I was initially annoyed that they closed it, but looking back at some older articles and seeing some of the things which were written, its pretty hard to blame them. 

I have noticed a bit of a decrease in the commentary that accompanies their articles as well, but I chalk that up at this point to the death of New Catholic's mother, which seemed to hit him pretty hard.  I would imagine in the coming months that the commentary aspect of things will ramp back up again.  If not, I still see news there I do not see elsewhere, particularly that which is translated into English from another language. 

Kaesekopf

It's a good news aggregator, but they are nowhere as good or useful as they were with the comments section.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dymphnaw

I miss the comments. They dropped them because too many people were using them as a a club to beat traditionalists over the head but those  people will be unhappy as long as the TLM exists. Besides, why can't Trads say what's on their minds just like everybody else?

Parresia

Quote from: dymphnaw on November 23, 2013, 01:57:29 PM
I miss the comments. They dropped them because too many people were using them as a a club to beat traditionalists over the head but those  people will be unhappy as long as the TLM exists.
To be certain, there were modernists who went there to troll.  However, there were also trads who acted poorly from what I saw.  My impression when they announced the closure was that they were sick of dealing with both sides of the argument to some extent, particularly after the election of Pope Francis, when the level of dissatisfaction among trads (myself included) seemed to really increase.
QuoteBesides, why can't Trads say what's on their minds just like everybody else?
Who is stopping you from doing that now?  I fully support your desire to say what is on your mind, but I don't see how they are obligated to provide you a venue.     

Kaesekopf

Just post here!   We don't moderate against trads!  ;)

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dymphnaw

[/quote]Who is stopping you from doing that now?  I fully support your desire to say what is on your mind, but I don't see how they are obligated to provide you a venue.     
[/quote]

Oh I'm not knocking Rorate. I read them every day. It's just amazing to me that the only Catholics who are told to be careful what they say are Trads. Shortly after Rorate cut the comments Fr. Z. wrote a post cautioning people to be careful with their remarks becuase we "can still lose it all".

Parresia

Quote from: dymphnaw on November 23, 2013, 07:18:32 PM
Quote from: ParresiaWho is stopping you from doing that now?  I fully support your desire to say what is on your mind, but I don't see how they are obligated to provide you a venue.     

Oh I'm not knocking Rorate. I read them every day. It's just amazing to me that the only Catholics who are told to be careful what they say are Trads. Shortly after Rorate cut the comments Fr. Z. wrote a post cautioning people to be careful with their remarks becuase we "can still lose it all".
Fair point.  Unfortunately, I have to agree with Fr. Z.  We are still the overwhelming minority of those who self identify as Catholic and as such, can only afford to push so hard. 

m.PR

Quote from: ADMG on November 23, 2013, 11:56:37 AM
It's apparently the largest traditionalist site on the web, but I can't see what makes it worth reading any longer.

It is pretty much the blog to follow unless you have the time to follow both other English-language blogs and a myriad of websites in other languages.

Good news aggregators are very valuable given the general cacophony of the Internet. This is how Huffington Post got so successful.

Can't blame them for closing the comment box. I sometimes miss it, but it's probably saving me time.

tradical

Quote from: m.PR on November 24, 2013, 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: ADMG on November 23, 2013, 11:56:37 AM
It's apparently the largest traditionalist site on the web, but I can't see what makes it worth reading any longer.

It is pretty much the blog to follow unless you have the time to follow both other English-language blogs and a myriad of websites in other languages.

Good news aggregators are very valuable given the general cacophony of the Internet. This is how Huffington Post got so successful.

Can't blame them for closing the comment box. I sometimes miss it, but it's probably saving me time.

I agree with all points. 

I also understand that they were actively moderating every post - 100% inspection is very labour intensive. Given the controversy that swirls amongst traditional topics, it was probably a good idea to shut down the moderation.

P^3
P^3
Prayer
Penance
Patience

My Blog: http://tradicat.blogspot.ca/

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

ReadyJoan

I don't see why anyone would close comment boxes.  Just let it go as it goes.  If it gets out of hand close the particular thread from comments after a while.   Why shut off all comments? 

ADMG

Quote from: ReadyJoan on December 12, 2013, 05:11:34 AM
I don't see why anyone would close comment boxes.  Just let it go as it goes.  If it gets out of hand close the particular thread from comments after a while.   Why shut off all comments? 

Agreed. If they had a lot of work they could have opened up for more moderators. Ah well, at least now they're drawing attention to the FI situation.