Wifi "Limited" resolution

Started by Gardener, April 27, 2014, 01:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Yesterday evening, before going to bed, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (laptop came with Windows 8 ). Upon waking this morning I had severe connectivity issues and spent the better part of a production day trying to merely get online. In short, a day meant for getting a bunch of school work done was interrupted with fixing Microsoft's F up.

I finally found the resolution in merely rolling back the wifi adapter's driver to an older version, as the "upgrade" came with a new driver.

If you are experiencing this issue, here's how to deal with it:

http://screencast.com/t/DnGAquqMV24I

You can also do some other things, but I tried every other solution presented online (thanks, iPhone!) and they did not work.

This is the only working solution for my situation.

Regards.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Habitual_Ritual

I am still hanging onto the door-frames of XP.  Windows sucks.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Lynne

That's 'interesting'. I'll have to ask my husband if he had that problem with W8. I'm still on W7 which is pretty nice.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Gardener

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on April 27, 2014, 05:08:16 AM
I am still hanging onto the door-frames of XP.  Windows sucks.

I fully agree. :)

You might think about looking into Ubuntu.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

My husband's computer is on Windows 8.1 and he does have occasional connectivity issues here at home but he brings the laptop to work when he works on Sundays and he has no connectivity issues there so he thinks it's an issue with our router.

Is yours an older router?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Gardener

Quote from: Lynne on April 27, 2014, 10:10:20 AM
My husband's computer is on Windows 8.1 and he does have occasional connectivity issues here at home but he brings the laptop to work when he works on Sundays and he has no connectivity issues there so he thinks it's an issue with our router.

No. It runs on the newest technology.

I was not able to test the connectivity pre-solution on another router, and others have reported that other routers weren't an issue before their fix.

He could always try choosing the native driver (second part of video) and if that doesn't work, roll it back as in the video.

Lynne

Quote from: Gardener on April 27, 2014, 10:17:23 AM

I was not able to test the connectivity pre-solution on another router, and others have reported that other routers weren't an issue before their fix.

He could always try choosing the native driver (second part of video) and if that doesn't work, roll it back as in the video.

Okay! I'll pass that on to him...

Gardener

Quote from: Lynne on April 27, 2014, 10:27:29 AM
Quote from: Gardener on April 27, 2014, 10:17:23 AM

K. The thing is, if it doesn't work, he just sets the driver which he "uninstalled" back into "installed" mode. That's the beauty of going with drivers already on the computer.

Previously I'd tried updating from Windows, which was dumb in retrospect because it was Microsoft's driver which caused the problem to begin with. But if it works better for him, then he should use that.

This is one of those things that makes no sense. My fiance's laptop was updated to 8.1 as well and it works on her wireless. I am going to try it today on my wireless to see if there is an issue. Might just be a bug in the driver for my particular wifi card... but the weird thing is this has been an issue going back to 2013 based on online complaints. Microsoft engineers, in true fashion, have been as helpful as throwing water on a grease fire.

Okay! I'll pass that on to him...