Which language should I learn?

Started by LausTibiChriste, October 24, 2015, 01:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hat And Beard

Quote from: Quenyen on February 04, 2017, 10:16:40 PM
If you want to be able to code up quick things for personal use that do not take much time....python rocks.
I'm of the opinion that this should be everyone's first language. Aside form the fact that you can get the ball rolling quickly, it forces you to make your code relatively readable.

Aside from that huge reason, it also appears to be what all the Raspberry Pi books/guides use that I've seen.

After you know python well you can learn C/C++/Java/Perl/Lisp and learn what's best for you and the programs you write.

Daniel

Quote from: Daniel on February 05, 2017, 06:09:46 PM
JavaScript is also great for this sort of thing. Probably the easiest language to learn and use, and all you need is a text editor and web browser (no IDE, no compiler, no setup).

edit - I also must point out, Java and JavaScript are two entirely different languages. The reason I bring this up is because a lot of people, including a lot of computer people (which is sort of surprising) seem to think that they are the same language, or at least closely related to one another when in fact they are not.
(Both could be useful to web development, though from my experience I'd say that JavaScript is far more useful for that.)
I also just remembered, one of the other things I like about JavaScript is that it's seemingly more in accordance with reality. Because unlike most object-oriented languages, JavaScript is not class-based.
(Unfortunately for me, I began programming some years before my conversion. And all this programming really had my mindset in line with Plato rather than Aristotle. Because class-based languages would have you code according to Plato's erroneous theory on the existence of non-instantiated abstractions. And yet Aristotle rightly teaches that they do not exist. And that was problematic... for the longest time I thought that there was some abstract human nature existing out there somewhere, a nature in which we all participate. Which is heretical, though I have since come to learn the truth, that the human nature only exists insofar as there are persons who exist who have that nature.)

Rosarium

In like manner these men also defile the flesh, and despise dominion, and blaspheme majesty.  When Michael the archangel, disputing with the devil, contended about the body of Moses, he durst not bring against him the judgment of railing speech, but said: The Lord command thee.  But these men blaspheme whatever things they know not: and what things soever they naturally know, like dumb beasts, in these they are corrupted.